Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 03-29-2023, 04:16 PM
Fire Giant

lol at the avalanche cord. Wonder how many times it actually worked.

When i go backcountry skiing i refuse to go with anyone who doesn't have a beacon, shovel, and collapsible probe. And training on how to use them. For my sake not theres. If i go down i want my dipshit friends to find me.

A fun game to play is bury a backpack full of beer with a beacon out in the snow somewhere, then have all your friends try to find it. First one gets the beer!
Old 03-29-2023, 04:21 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah it’s wild, first time I prepared to do it I had no idea how dangerous it is and what it entails, having been in Texas my entire adult life. I’ve gone three times up here and one of those times I was scared shitless for a bit
Old 03-29-2023, 04:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Denali is on my list too. Need a lot of training though.

I know I'll never summit Everest or any of the 8000m peaks. I'm all set with the Death Zone.

Would like to do Kilimanjaro too some day...but Denali is #1.
Those are on my list for sure. My son and I plan on doing Aconcagua next year or the follow, supposedly that one is easier
Old 03-29-2023, 05:03 PM
Kobold

If I'm looking to unnecessarily risk my life to get an adrenaline high, I'll just travel to a ghetto and pull some shit like John McClain did in Harlem in Die Hard 3.

Cheaper, and you can be back in home to raid EQ by nightfall.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:38 PM
Planar Protector

I summited every Cascade peak but Baker in my twenties, plus Whitney which isn't a volcano. Never made it out to Colorado's peaks... I never found Rocky Mtn peaks all that scenic compared to the West coast's volcanoes which are awesome because they really tend to dwarf the surrounding terrain.

Climbing Shasta is a religious experience and I can totally see why every group from Squanto to New Age Meth Oracles think the mountain is inhabited by trans-dimensional spirit creatures. It just has a mystical aura, you can feel it, like a strange energy.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:05 PM
Planar Protector

I’m guessing 14 er is a peak over 14k elevation?

I’ve climbed Mt Adams in Washington state several times. It’s got to be one of the coolest memories I have of being out doors.

What this guy has done is definitely top level. It’s not something I think most people in this world have that guts to do, nor are capable.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I summited every Cascade peak but Baker in my twenties, plus Whitney which isn't a volcano. Never made it out to Colorado's peaks... I never found Rocky Mtn peaks all that scenic compared to the West coast's volcanoes which are awesome because they really tend to dwarf the surrounding terrain.

Climbing Shasta is a religious experience and I can totally see why every group from Squanto to New Age Meth Oracles think the mountain is inhabited by trans-dimensional spirit creatures. It just has a mystical aura, you can feel it, like a strange energy.
Headed out to Yosemite for the first time in late June. Waiting for the Half Dome lottery draw next week. Also planning on doing Clouds Rest and the 4 mile trail to Glacier Point and down Panorama.

Staying right there in the valley at Curry Village.

Any must-see / dos along the way? I'm renting a car from San Diego (im there for business the week prior) and driving north, then driving to San Fran (may swing south a bit and hit Santa Cruz / drive up Rt 1 North to san fran).
Old 03-31-2023, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Headed out to Yosemite for the first time in late June. Waiting for the Half Dome lottery draw next week. Also planning on doing Clouds Rest and the 4 mile trail to Glacier Point and down Panorama.

Staying right there in the valley at Curry Village.

Any must-see / dos along the way? I'm renting a car from San Diego (im there for business the week prior) and driving north, then driving to San Fran (may swing south a bit and hit Santa Cruz / drive up Rt 1 North to san fran).
Yosemite is great to do once in your lifetime, but it's likely going to be a zoo during the season. The real gem of the southern Sierras imo is King's Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, particularly the Rae Lakes Loop, all 40 miles or just a piece of it depending on time available and your pace. Popular as well but it's not going to be as jammed as Yosemite, and you can truly find wilderness, solitude, and some epic views on this hike. You really can't go wrong in this region, it's all great.

If you are a fan of desert views, both Telescope Peak and Mt. San Jacinto have extraordinary prominence. You can see basically all of Death Valley from Telescope Peak and San Jacinto has great views as well-- on a clear day you can see all of Southern California's mountain region from San Jacinto. These hikes are slogs, however, so be fit. If you are a masochist, try the Cactus to Clouds Trail on Jacinto-- 10,400' of elevation gain, among the highest amount of traversed prominence to be found on any single peak approach in the world. In June, the valley shouldn't be full of smoke but I'd check before you do either of these hikes so the view isn't ruined by haze.

If you like ghost towns, the Panamint City hike via the surprise canyon trail is a good challenge and imo makes for one of the best ghost town experiences in the US because you're very likely to be the only person there. Fun scramble up a creek, too. Watch the weather.

Route 1 from LA to SF is known as the Pacific Coast Highway, or PCH, and is a world class drive. Big Sur is a gorgeous region worth a stop, and if you've got $$$, I can't recommend Post Ranch Inn highly enough, especially if you're with a ladyfriend. It's something else.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I don't have much good to say about San Francisco proper as a destination, except when it comes to food. Yank Sing is some of the best dim sum you're going to find in California, and Sushi Ran, in Sausalito, some of the best sushi. Sushi Ran is Michelin star I believe, and deservedly so. On a sunny day, Mt. Tamalpais to Stinson Beach is a beautiful hike that offers some great views of the city across the bay. You have the option to park in Stinson Beach, uber up to Mt. Tam, and hike back down. Needless to say, don't leave valuables in your car anywhere near SF lol
Last edited by Lune; 03-31-2023 at 01:10 PM..
Old 03-31-2023, 01:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yosemite is great to do once in your lifetime, but it's likely going to be a zoo during the season. The real gem of the southern Sierras imo is King's Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, particularly the Rae Lakes Loop, all 40 miles or just a piece of it depending on time available and your pace. Popular as well but it's not going to be as jammed as Yosemite, and you can truly find wilderness, solitude, and some epic views on this hike. You really can't go wrong in this region, it's all great.

If you are a fan of desert views, both Telescope Peak and Mt. San Jacinto have extraordinary prominence. You can see basically all of Death Valley from Telescope Peak and San Jacinto has great views as well-- on a clear day you can see all of Southern California's mountain region from San Jacinto. These hikes are slogs, however, so be fit. If you are a masochist, try the Cactus to Clouds Trail on Jacinto-- 10,400' of elevation gain, among the highest amount of traversed prominence to be found on any single peak approach in the world. In June, the valley shouldn't be full of smoke but I'd check before you do either of these hikes so the view isn't ruined by haze.

If you like ghost towns, the Panamint City hike via the surprise canyon trail is a good challenge and imo makes for one of the best ghost town experiences in the US because you're very likely to be the only person there. Fun scramble up a creek, too. Watch the weather.

Route 1 from LA to SF is known as the Pacific Coast Highway, or PCH, and is a world class drive. Big Sur is a gorgeous region worth a stop, and if you've got $$$, I can't recommend Post Ranch Inn highly enough, especially if you're with a ladyfriend. It's something else.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I don't have much good to say about San Francisco proper as a destination, except when it comes to food. Yank Sing is some of the best dim sum you're going to find in California, and Sushi Ran, in Sausalito, some of the best sushi. Sushi Ran is Michelin star I believe, and deservedly so. On a sunny day, Mt. Tamalpais to Stinson Beach is a beautiful hike that offers some great views of the city across the bay. You have the option to park in Stinson Beach, uber up to Mt. Tam, and hike back down. Needless to say, don't leave valuables in your car anywhere near SF lol
Awesome, thank you.

Not a city guy anyway, just my return airport.

That Jacinto jaunt looks badass. If I had known about that I would have fit that into the itinerary for sure...already saved it on my alltrails app.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:49 PM
Banned

Post some nice scenery pics when ya do. I can live vicariously through other people’s travel photos