Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 03-18-2024, 09:38 AM
Aviak

Default Curious about low prices on Green

Hey there! I hope your day is treating you well!

I'm just back after a 3 year hiatus. Grinded to 55 on Green around launch and then took a break.

Anyway, I admit, I'm not too well-versed in Velious, so please forgive any ignorance on my part. But I had a random thought last night about the prices I've been seeing on the green server after coming back for the weekend:

I noticed puppet strings going for 25k and a hooded black cloak for 500p. It really surprised me how low some of these prices are. Even items like the Fungi Tunic and Fingerbone Hoop aren't fetching much.

It got me thinking about how on the Blue server, which was around for much longer than the current Green server, prices didn't drop so drastically until later on. I remember back then, clearing out HS south and selling Fingerbone Hoops for around 40k on Blue. Now, that's almost the going rate for a Fungi Tunic on Green.

Do you think this is just because Velious came around so quickly? I'm guessing there might be factors there that make farming items easier, and probably some that are no longer best in slot etc?
Old 03-18-2024, 12:42 PM
Sarnak

Velious was out and blue prices have influenced green prices.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:59 PM
Planar Protector

Almost all recharge items nerfed and way more expensive now, including puppet strings
Old 03-18-2024, 03:56 PM
Fire Giant

Puppet strings not really useful beyond ot hammers anymore. Cast time,very short range and very expensive recharge
Old 03-19-2024, 09:23 AM
Kobold

Probably just the frenzy of new content and the server still progressing. Prices have been relatively stable on Green for the last year or so that I've been around and higher than Blue due to server age.

From what I recall prices on green seem to be largely in line with the prices on the server I played on in classic live during the late velious/early luclin era.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:06 AM
Kobold

Supply and Demand.
I've seen some demand for certain items which allowed me personally to raise their prices a little bit, and likewise, other items that nobody wants or cares about so they plummet or hit rock bottom.

Like an example: the invis to undead wizard spell was highly sought after for a minute so it's price went up.
The shard of the core spell ABSOLUTELY NOBODY wanted, so it hit rock bottom.

more fluent prices just means more money is being passed around, Blue has been at the ultimate end game forever, so I imagine that if you want anything "really good" like a fungi tunic, you'd have to maxout, join a raid guild, and grab it from a dice rather than affording it with money. Lower prices are a good thing, more symbolic of a thriving economy.
Old 03-19-2024, 12:08 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimitto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lower prices are a good thing, more symbolic of a thriving economy.
Or a server that is past its maturity and on the decline.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimitto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Supply and Demand.
I've seen some demand for certain items which allowed me personally to raise their prices a little bit, and likewise, other items that nobody wants or cares about so they plummet or hit rock bottom.

Like an example: the invis to undead wizard spell was highly sought after for a minute so it's price went up.
The shard of the core spell ABSOLUTELY NOBODY wanted, so it hit rock bottom.

more fluent prices just means more money is being passed around, Blue has been at the ultimate end game forever, so I imagine that if you want anything "really good" like a fungi tunic, you'd have to maxout, join a raid guild, and grab it from a dice rather than affording it with money. Lower prices are a good thing, more symbolic of a thriving economy.
You can buy a fungi basically any day of the week on blue
Old 03-20-2024, 12:02 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpathEQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or a server that is past its maturity and on the decline.
I'd argue the opposite.
If you look at any social economy that's ever existed, lower prices are always tied to thriving economies, and ridiculously high prices are tied with dying economies.

in bad economies you can't buy anything, the prices are too ridiculous for anything rare and uncommon things are always jacked up making them basically rare, and common items take half the income of normal people. In good economies normal items take 1/10th of the income of normal people.

It's a numbers game.
Some people just aren't good with numbers. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-21-2024, 10:47 AM
Kobold

Quote:
I'd argue the opposite.
If you look at any social economy that's ever existed, lower prices are always tied to thriving economies, and ridiculously high prices are tied with dying economies.

in bad economies you can't buy anything, the prices are too ridiculous for anything rare and uncommon things are always jacked up making them basically rare, and common items take half the income of normal people. In good economies normal items take 1/10th of the income of normal people.

It's a numbers game.
Some people just aren't good with numbers. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While the phenomena you describe may apply in both worlds they occur for completely opposite reasons.

The reason low prices are synonymous with thriving economies is that technological advancement is inherently deflationary. As technology improves the costs and effort of creating goods and services reduces therefore producers can maintain the same profitability while reducing prices allowing for overall growth due to a larger population of demand as the product or service becomes affordable to more people.

There is no technological advancement in P99 its a timelocked server and has been locked in the same place for an extended period of time. There are no new technologies such as expansions that make new, better items available or meaningful changes in drop rates. The only advancement is that active players over time can improve their gear to accomplish more as an individual but that is offset by players becoming inactive over time as noted by the declining server population. The mechanism to reduce prices in P99 is a demand side dynamic. As demand for items reduces sellers are forced to seek a lower price in order to transact. Unlike a live free flowing economy the supply side economics in P99 are largely a stationary data point.