Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 04-01-2023, 02:54 PM
Skeleton

I'm the rare person who actually enjoyed luclin to pop. Some of the graphic overhauls were cringe however there were many great things about it.. kunark and velious will always be that sweet spot for me and my high-school years that no game has ever compared to.
Old 04-05-2023, 08:22 PM
Kobold

luclin is significantly better as a TLP experience than it was on Live

you get the revamped classic zones along with luclin so at least it ties the visual change into the world a tiny bit more

you also move past the content really fast (in like 2-3 months) so the excessive grind of luclin (AA XP and VT raiding) is quickly replaced with PoP

meanwhile you get to experience a bunch of new class abilities and changes

something I didn't really appreciate about Luclin/PoP back in era that I appreciate a bit more now on TLP is how EQ continued to significantly evolve the game.

arbitrarily stopping at velious kind of gives a false sense that the game was "the best" in that era, but there are many changes they introduced later over the years, whether bug fixes or small QOL, that was clearly a better design decision -- they just didn't have the time to do it earlier
Old 04-06-2023, 08:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think for me, to enjoy a Mmorpg, I need nerdy components to believe the world is real. Like traveling. I wanted to believe in Luclin. I think for me, as soon as traveling is taken from the game, I lose all interest in every other part of the game. You need one thing to feel the other.
How does Luclin remove travel? How is waiting on a spire any different than waiting on a boat? Especially on a server where Dial a Port exists.
Old 04-06-2023, 06:19 PM
Fire Giant

So you take boats, rather than hit up dial a port for getting around??
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think for me, to enjoy a Mmorpg, I need nerdy components to believe the world is real. Like traveling. I wanted to believe in Luclin. I think for me, as soon as traveling is taken from the game, I lose all interest in every other part of the game. You need one thing to feel the other.

Other things such as, the destruction of Velious unique armor, Freeport and Nektulos Forest, just seemed a bit over the top.

I could also have been a kid in school that couldn't get 60 in a couple of days, so maybe I still just haven't beat classic yet. I've never had a level 60, but it seems like high level EQ might get boring in comparison to lower levels.

If I had beaten classic Everquest forever, to where I'm bashing my head in the wall for new content, I could see me enjoying Luclin. Heck, I could see me enjoying Luclin anyway. But classic will be more important for me, currently.
Old 04-06-2023, 06:31 PM
Fire Giant

I don't always have money for Dial port on all my characters.

Isn't the boat longer than waiting for a spire? Even if it isn't, it still seems like something artificial was added to the world with a spire.

When it's either a boat, or the request of someone's spell they earned to port you, it feels more real.

The first thing I want in a Mmorpg, is to feel like I'm in a real world. Even if those components are dumb or silly.
Old 04-07-2023, 12:47 AM
Planar Protector

yeah boats can be like a real long wait if you just missed it, like one of em is 40 min round trip.
luclin spires are 15 min timers, PoK books can be 10 minutes away running!

frankly I'd just rather type #zone sebilis and get to the frog slaying right away.
Old 04-07-2023, 08:09 AM
Sarnak

Luclin models are ass, especially by today’s standards.

Beastlord was a fun class. I’d almost consider playing live just to play one. Almost.

Bazaar ruins trading. Then again with discord and online logging tools it doesn’t matter as much.

Nexus was a terrible hub. Ports aren’t bad but they do make the world feel smaller and devaluate porters. Probably best left out.

Luclin zones didn’t do much for me.

AA’s were great!
Old 04-07-2023, 09:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEdvardo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

arbitrarily stopping at velious kind of gives a false sense that the game was "the best" in that era, but there are many changes they introduced later over the years, whether bug fixes or small QOL, that was clearly a better design decision -- they just didn't have the time to do it earlier
The game was best in original form when Monks had virtually no gear.

However if any expansions are gunna be accepted, velious is a clear cut off for when the whole game fell apart and all the old zones fell to total irrelevance and everything got wack.

No one is saying that later expansions didn’t add anything we liked.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:07 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The game was best in original form when Monks had virtually no gear.

However if any expansions are gunna be accepted, velious is a clear cut off for when the whole game fell apart and all the old zones fell to total irrelevance and everything got wack.

No one is saying that later expansions didn’t add anything we liked.
I don’t think that’s true. Luclin didn’t overwrite all the previous content, unlike how PoP did.

I still would like to see each progression server roll onto a shared Luclin server. It would give players something to do with their old characters and give old servers their own purpose and reason for being. I think it’s sort of poetic too to leave the world that you played on and meet up on the moon. Sleeper wakening sends everyone to the moon.
Old 04-07-2023, 03:23 PM
Planar Protector

One way trip to moon server would be cool.

But no, luclin breaks the world. From bazaar to ports to gear availability.

AAs are fun but, too much power
Lost but not forgotten.