Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 07-20-2023, 09:58 PM
Decaying Skeleton

As a 53 half-elf Paladin I thought that I would be able to zoom through and get Nature's Defender and be tricked out, ended up finishing my EPIC first and now wondering why I took the hit to wisdom. Dwarf is better statistically.
Old 07-21-2023, 06:00 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltamar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As a 53 half-elf Paladin I thought that I would be able to zoom through and get Nature's Defender and be tricked out, ended up finishing my EPIC first and now wondering why I took the hit to wisdom. Dwarf is better statistically.
If anything human has +5 str, +5 sta and +15 wis, half elf has +15 agi (ZzZzz) and +10 dex (cute I guess?).

Not being night blind as shit is a nice touch for the half-elf but eventually doesn't matter.

I still think human (swiss army knife), dwarf (melee oriented) and high elf (spell oriented) are the only sensible options outside of fashion picks. I also find that it's easier in current era for a high elf to compensate lack of str and sta than it is for a dwarf to compensate lack of wisdom and cha. On a fresh server it may be more advantageous to roll dwarf since going HE paladin with no points in str and hybrid xp penalty would be pretty effin' miserable.
Old 07-21-2023, 09:43 AM
Planar Protector

The most regrettable racial picks are due to not being able to access certain items, even if more mid-range. It’s still of no material difference being able to do the same job as another.

Natures defender (Tunare pallies)
Shield of stalwart seas (eru)
Imbued granite Spaulders (no shorties)
Frostreaver (human and dwarf)

These are mid-range items at best. I’d play what you like the look of. If you take joy out of min-maxing maybe pick on that basis however your napkin math shows to be the “best”.
Old 07-21-2023, 12:08 PM
Sarnak

There's also Innoruuk loot, since he's racist. For a lot of the races his loot is pointless or replaceable with mid-tier stuff, but Half Elf Innoruuk loot is a +20 MR face mask.
Old 07-21-2023, 01:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's also Innoruuk loot, since he's racist. For a lot of the races his loot is pointless or replaceable with mid-tier stuff, but Half Elf Innoruuk loot is a +20 MR face mask.
Ah man you made me miss red.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 07-21-2023, 01:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltamar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ND is overrated and should not be the sole reason you pick a race IMO, but I’m glad you got epic! It’s not that hard, just has annoying parts to it. Half elves are about fashion. They do look cool in plate still so I don’t think you make a mistake. And having high CHA is good for end game as well as that sweet inny mask that was mentioned.
Old 07-21-2023, 03:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ND is overrated and should not be the sole reason you pick a race IMO, but I’m glad you got epic! It’s not that hard, just has annoying parts to it. Half elves are about fashion. They do look cool in plate still so I don’t think you make a mistake. And having high CHA is good for end game as well as that sweet inny mask that was mentioned.
Agreed. I wouldn't pick a race solely based on Nature's Defender. Fiery Defender has the superior ratio, proc, and overall stats, so you would replace Nature's Defender with that anyway.
Old 07-21-2023, 04:06 PM
Fire Giant

If you can stand not being all about minmaxing, I would go fashion over anything else. I have an iksar shaman despite iksar being the worst shaman race, and I don't regret it one bit. If you stick with a character, raid gear will shore up most differences just fine
Old 07-21-2023, 04:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortior [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you can stand not being all about minmaxing, I would go fashion over anything else. I have an iksar shaman despite iksar being the worst shaman race, and I don't regret it one bit. If you stick with a character, raid gear will shore up most differences just fine
Agreed. Nobody is forcing anybody to play what they don't want to. Give people the objective facts as to what is better or worse, and let them decide for themselves.
Old 07-21-2023, 04:16 PM
Fire Giant

I suppose. I hope listing differences doesn't sway new players intimidated by the reputation eq has for being difficult into playing something based on statistical advantages instead of real preference.