Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements > Polls

View Poll Results: Do you believe ooc and auction should be returned to zone-only?
YES! I want ooc/auction to be per zone only. 383 52.39%
NO! I want ooc/auction to remain global wide. 348 47.61%
Voters: 731. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthzero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, if you removed it then it will force people to hang out in EC or freeport. that would add some classic element.
It will force *something* classic. That's worth experimenting with.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Orc

Myrkskog, even though I voted no, you're kind of my hero right now. I LoL'd - well-said.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Fire Giant

Down with global ooc. I say gut her out from the inside like a fish. Put the knife up her anus and slice her down the stomach (not to far because you don't wanna puncture any organs and have it bleed all over) and then make a cut behind her gills, pull her skull back and rip out global ooc. Thats in my humble opinion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Hahaha, that is awesome. Right up there with...that one guy's....boat service before the boats worked.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Aviak

Default The Appeal to Classic is a Fallacy

I voted to keep Global Out of Character. I understand the appeal to classic, we all love classic EQ. I mean we play on this server for its sake, but classic does not mean better in all cases; Some improvements to the classic EQ are worth keeping/considering.
  • The current UI is not classic, but better; The classic UI would be awful.
  • Item linking is also not classic, but so very necessary for trade.
  • Meditating without spellbook is definately not classic, but one of the games biggest improvements IMO.

Global Out of Character is so very useful:
  1. For LFG, so few people use the flag when looking for group.
  2. For finding a teleport or specific bluff (Clarity/SoW.) So many capable of them go anonymous.
  3. For new players to get help and ask questions.
  4. Spirited debates, especially regarding Server changes.

Then there are the social aspects. I switched to this server from the VZ/TZ PVP server not only because of the population, but because of how active and friendly /ooc was in comparison. I could ask questions without fear of a smart-ass response as per usual on VZ/TZ.

I also understand the appeal of bringing back the old EC tunnel for trading, however I still feel this move is premature. We still lack the population for zone shouts/ooc to be enough to maintain most hot zone camps, let alone a conversation. The amount of traffic on /ooc makes one feel much less isolated.

In conclusion, should we move to rid global out of character for the sake of some "Classic Vision", it'll negatively impact groups, trade, travel, communication, and quite possibly population.

To those who dislike the "spam" of it, we here in America learned long ago that having the choice to change or turn something off makes for a much richer variety and culture than censorship. Just turn it off if you don't like it, and for those who feel that such a suggestion is selfish I ask you this: Is the suggestion more selfish than silencing everyone else for the sake of your preference?

I mean do you guys honestly intend to remove item linking, force spell-book meditation and return us to this if you could?:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

EDIT: If you do go through with this, as the vote appears to be leaning, Can we at least get custom channels?
Last edited by Marmo; 05-18-2010 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: I had more to say!
Old 05-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Planar Protector

Yes, yes!
Gonna be cool to see how often EC crashes due to mass population!
Old 05-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseng [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can there be some sort of compromise? Like a joinable global channel?
I voted YES, but I was also wondering if the chat channels can be used to create a global chat that would be optional to join? I envision this channel being something like a general/help/noobie chat I've seen in some other games.

Obviously this is not a classic solution, but maybe it would be a good compromise...?

Thoughts? And are chat channels intact in Titanium?
Old 05-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceridain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thoughts? And are chat channels intact in Titanium?
Source guys can try and get them to work. I do believe they *can* work.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean do you guys honestly intend to remove item linking, force spell-book meditation and return us to this?:

UHM. Given the option, hell yes.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I voted to keep Global Out of Character. I understand the appeal to classic, we all love classic EQ. I mean we play on this server for its sake, but classic does not mean better in all cases; Some improvements to the classic EQ are worth keeping/considering.
  • The current UI is not classic, but better; The classic UI would be awful.
  • Item linking is also not classic, but so very necessary for trade.
  • Meditating without spellbook is definately not classic, but one of the games biggest improvements IMO.

Global Out of Character is so very useful:
  1. For LFG, so few people use the flag when looking for group.
  2. For finding a teleport or specific bluff (Clarity/SoW.) So many capable of them go anonymous.
  3. For new players to get help and ask questions.

Then there are the social aspects. I switched to this server from the VZ/TZ PVP server not only because of the population, but because of how active and friendly /ooc was in comparison. I could ask questions without fear of a smart-ass response as per usual on VZ/TZ.

I also understand the appeal of bringing back the old EC tunnel for trading, however I still feel this move is premature. We still lack the population for zone shouts/ooc to be enough to maintain most hot zone camps, let alone a conversation. The amount of traffic on /ooc makes one feel much less isolated.

In conclusion, should we move to rid global out of character for the sake of some "Classic Vision", it'll negatively impact groups, trade, travel, communication, and quite possibly population.

To those who dislike the "spam" of it, we here in America learned long ago that having the choice to change or turn something off makes for a much richer variety and culture than censorship. Just turn it off if you don't like it, and for those who feel that such a suggestion is selfish I ask you this: Is the suggestion more selfish than silencing everyone else for the sake of your preference?

I mean do you guys honestly intend to remove item linking, force spell-book meditation and return us to this if you could?:
Those names look hella familiar, did you play Tunare? =)
Old 05-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phallax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Those names look hella familiar, did you play Tunare? =)
It was google's 1st image of the classic UI. Not mine, I played on Fennin Ro.
Closed Thread