Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 02-20-2024, 01:34 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New to p99 what class is most needed?

As the title suggest I am new to Project 99 and wanted to know what class is most needed for grouping up. Also raids? About me- I am a veteran player of all TLPs but I wanted to experience my original EQ days. I received EQ for Christmas in 99 and played until 04. I then picked the game up again in 2017. Now I wish to play the 99. I am currently on the green server but can change easily for the right game play. With that said, what are the classes missing from the daily grind groups, what is needed? What classes are missing from the raids? I have played them all and epiced all toons (-Rog). Just looking to dive in to a useful class. And if all else fails I'll just return to my roots and play a necro. Thanks and hope to see you out there!
Old 02-20-2024, 11:18 PM
Fire Giant

Cleric
Old 02-21-2024, 01:13 AM
Sarnak

Welcome. It's a pretty long grind to 60 compared to TLP so I would recommend going with your favorite class. Necro would be a good choice for a first character, not at all gear-dependent, strong soloer and a lot of group utility anywhere you can charm.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:45 AM
Fire Giant

All the guilds will have cleric bots for you to play if your class isn't useful for the encounter. Raiding guilds really just want chill competent people. Highly suggest playing whatever you want. Since you mentioned it, Necro is generally useful with twitches and they'll love you if you know how to use DA and pets to move mobs around in ToV.
Old 02-21-2024, 06:32 AM
Planar Protector

Berserker for snare that isn't based on spell resist.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 02-21-2024, 09:24 AM
Planar Protector

play w/e you want its elf sim 2024
Old 02-21-2024, 10:39 AM
Kobold

Pretty much any class is needed for grouping because there aren't a ton of active grouping spots at this point in the P99 servers, groups are pretty much just take whoever is available and figure it out. It's good to play a class that doesn't rely on grouping 100% which ultimately can be any class but some require some pretty solid gearing to solo at high levels (I think most agree rogue being the toughest to solo to 60)

For raiding I would say Rogue would be #1 followed by Cleric for need as you basically can never have too many of these classes on raids and often guilds are asking people to switch to bots of these classes at the high end of the game. Aside from those 2 most raid compositions just require 1-4 of any of the other classes.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

As others have said, if you're joining one of the top raid guilds then class need isn't a huge factor as they've already leveled up Cleric and other bots for people to play if needed. So the class you pick doesn't matter as much, although being somebody who doesn't need to play a bot because your class is helpful is a little bit of a plus but not hugely necessary.

As far as EXP grouping, Cleric will definitely be needed from like 40+ on since it's harder for Druids and Shamans to MH higher end EXP content. Enchanter is obviously another big one for the sweet mana regen, great CC< and awesome charmed NPC DPS.

One class that people haven't really mentioned yet is Bard. A good Bard is useful on multiple raid encounters and you're also a huge boon to any group if you know what you're doing (great pullers, you have Charm and mez songs, and your buff songs for twisting). Plus if you can't find a group and you get the hang of swarm kiting you can level really fast and get yourself into that raid guild.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

bard / enc / shaman / necro

pick 1
Old 02-22-2024, 01:13 PM
Planar Protector

A necro that joins groups.