Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 06-22-2022, 12:59 PM
Planar Protector

Whenever these conversations come up, we always get these "I totally remember my character charm soloing Vox in classic" comments.

Meanwhile, everyone else who played in classic remembers the class very clearly, because we all grouped with them in classic. They were not charm soloing gods; in fact the vast majority didn't solo (even while Druids, Mages, Necros, etc. did): they grouped.

In groups they most certainly did not charm regularly in groups (as it was far too risky)! They mezzed, and hasted, and cast clarity, and the good ones would get hit from time to time to get their animation to give some tiny extra DPS. But most just did mez/clarity/haste.

If you ask random people (not P99 Enchanter players) who played EQ in 1999-2001 what Enchanters were like, I guarantee 90+% will give you something like the above, and not this unclassic P99 version where "Enchanters are the best soloing class and can charm solo anything with ease". And similarly if you look at objective evidence, like old forum posts or other Wayback Machine stuff from the era, they'll all describe the same classic enchanter, who was nothing like the P99 Enchanter, because in live ... to a far greater degree than here ... charm was risky and dangerous.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-22-2022 at 01:06 PM..
Old 06-22-2022, 03:00 PM
Planar Protector

In classic enchanters were viewed as a weak class. Even into expansions.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:19 PM
Kobold

Did anything actually change within the last year for the class?
Old 06-22-2022, 07:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
wooooords!!
I'm def in the boat of people who mostly saw enchanters in groups doing crowd control, buffs, debuffs, etc.. but that doesn't mean charm isn't functioning correctly here because we didn't see how it could be used back in the day.

why not argue that shaman dot's are way too strong on p99, because back in the day I only ever saw shamans in groups buffing, debuffing, and healing. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^^^ this is meant as a joke.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:15 PM
Aviak

This thread is mostly feelings and confirmation bias.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannobeers3 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This thread is mostly feelings and confirmation bias.
Isn't the point of this place to feel like the game we all (or at least many of us) played back in '99-'01? Not to be an exact replica (we all know it isn't) ... but again, to feel like one?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:34 AM
Sarnak

with the recent surefall glade port patch (was introduced shortly before luclin was released) we could care less bout this patch.

just start a new chanter on the new server, problem solved.
Mitic - Green - Dial a Port (yes, porting is more fun than raid-rotations) - 2020
Old 06-23-2022, 12:36 PM
Fire Giant

@Loramin

Did you play on a blue or pvp server back on live?
Old 06-23-2022, 02:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by commongood [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
@Loramin

Did you play on a blue or pvp server back on live?
Bristlebane (a "blue" server).

I had a toon on Sullon Zek, but I don't think I ever got him past 20.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:59 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bristlebane (a "blue" server).

I had a toon on Sullon Zek, but I don't think I ever got him past 20.
Fair. Reason I was asking was that red vs blue would have a pretty significant impact as to the frequency of casual charming in exp groups etc. I played a chanter on Tallon Zek from 2000 2006 and I don't remember charming at all for exp during my initial Kunark and Velious play time. However that was also very much to do with the risks of getting ganked by pvp'ers. It felt like in many scenarios it was just completely untennable.

Biggest memory I have of charming-soloing was much later (in PoP) where I would solo in Bastion of Thunder and Plane of Valor for exp and profits.

Though my memory is extremely hazy - which I suspect is the caze for many people replying to threads here [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]