Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Large Rat

why do some people spend so much time and effort into hoarding items and plats when the server can disappear at moments notice? all that data is held at the mercy of server owner who has no obligation to keep ur 'possession' safe and secure. just seems too risky (in terms of invested time) unless u enjoy the journey/experience of sitting at east commons tunnel all day trading.

edit: i'm sure it's not too difficult to make plats and what not but for someone just starting out it's a lot of work to build a pretty powerful char and accumulate great gear no matter how u decide to approach it. i guess once u reach a point where u've built a solid character it becomes easier to forget about the long and sometimes painful journey but looking at it from the bottom it's still a steep mountain to climb. i'm all for the challenge but only if there was some sort of a reliable knowledge that server would be up for years to come would i feel safe to commit. but i understand the joy and sense of accomplishment of having built a powerful char and not to knock on people who graciously offer their time and money to run this server but some of these posts about server economy and item hoarding is surprising to say the least.
Last edited by Epictroll; 01-22-2012 at 05:41 PM..
Old 01-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Kobold

The market has not changed very much from when I was leveling up my Enchanter before Kunark; second and third tier items such as Oracle Robes and Ravenscale armor are sold cheaply as people naturally evolve past old gear and offload it for whatever they can get. The market in lower items does not have as many resellers, so prices tend to stabilize at low amounts.
It's not hard to gear out a new character in lower-tier items; I found twinking out my new monk alt to be very afordable. I spent more on his Jade Maces than for everything else I gave him. I'd need a lot more plat if I were looking to grab a Fungi tunic and T-staff, but he functions well enough without those.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Aviak

IMO the state of the economy is game breaking which is why I stopped playing.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingturtle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I find billions of duped plat pretty tough to believe.
yea me to

specially when things were selling for a million plus shortly after kunark launched
good observation mr tunnel rat
Old 01-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Kobold

So what do you propose to be done about this issue. Uth?
Old 01-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Kobold

Send a message via AIM to Dravingar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Before the dupes in question, black sapphires for example were only 1k. As money enters a server, there becomes a disparity between the amount of time required to obtain an item, and the amount of time required to gain the money equivalent to its value.

This results in new players having a significant disadvantage, as evidenced by the earlier posts from new players, and also in players choosing not to farm certain items anymore due to the increased opportunity cost, and increases competition for items whose value has changed the least relative to the value of the currency. More simply stated, not all prices will rise equally and some items will lose sufficient value that they are not worth acquiring. This redirects competition into few scarce resources.

The cause and effect from coin to player requires some individual reflection on the flow within the dynamic. It's not a simple thing that can be explained to someone in a few paragraphs and understood.

The issue with having large amounts of cash injected into the server is that it causes many side effects, the most observable being item recharging, a well-known, valid activity turned into a problem that trivialized raid encounters, due to the widespread availability of plat.

Vendor based tradeskills such as smithing and jewelcraft become devalued as the resource required to level them becomes more available. The list goes on.
The reason why black sapphires went up so much in price is because of the VP turn in ate a BS for every keyed member which caused an even bigger desire for them.

Also for the person saying 1million pp items were selling in EC you are right, it was one the pre nerf fungi stick. Nothing else sold anywhere near that high.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Kobold

Send a message via AIM to Dravingar

Also, sweet double post but who honestly buys items? Farm that shit yourself like a man.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Kobold

j
Last edited by slemmykazaam; 02-05-2012 at 12:30 PM..
Old 01-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Sarnak

Simple fix: cap maximum amount of plat at 100k and delete anything above
Old 01-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I said that in my first post. Item recharging is correct and accurate, the only thing that's making it cheese out encounters is the amount of plat in the economy allows them to be used freely and without consequence. Guild banks now exceed 7 digits of plat. Raising the recharge prices to be prohibitive but not so much that it's never done, would leave the charged items available for use in times of need, but not function as crutches to defeat an encounter by themselves; and at the same time gradually remove the plat from the economy.
Not classic!
Closed Thread