Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 08-09-2023, 04:54 PM
Kobold

sharing a niche use for p99 rogue poison mechanics here since theres fellow poisoners:

if you apply poison, it does not go off until you swing a piercing weapon. ive found this actually useful one (1) time, when splitting a camp so that the target was free to follow me outside before i swapped back to epic and spine break went off. In Theory, this could let you use multiple Spine Breaks in a fight, as you (In Theory) would root the mob with the first Spine Break, back off and apply another one, then face tank the mob with nonpiercing weapons until you're ready to reapply, repeat as needed.

also saw one guy talking about how much space poison takes up; ive found the only way i can realistically carry enough poison is to dedicate an inventory slot to a Mortar n Pestle, which is then filled with stacks of poison materials. gotta have spare space to empty the container for combines but this lets you carry a minimum of 20 poisons in 6 slots. this also lets you stock way up on Spine Break herbs that are only available from one guy,and then restock vials and suspensions from any poison merchant
Old 08-09-2023, 07:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnair [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
sharing a niche use for p99 rogue poison mechanics here since theres fellow poisoners:

if you apply poison, it does not go off until you swing a piercing weapon. ive found this actually useful one (1) time, when splitting a camp so that the target was free to follow me outside before i swapped back to epic and spine break went off. In Theory, this could let you use multiple Spine Breaks in a fight, as you (In Theory) would root the mob with the first Spine Break, back off and apply another one, then face tank the mob with nonpiercing weapons until you're ready to reapply, repeat as needed.
That's a neat trick.

In the same vein, backstab does not trigger the poison. Useful for when you need to reposition a mob before engaging but still want to open with backstab instead of using a ranged weapon.
Last edited by jolanar; 08-09-2023 at 07:05 PM..
Old 08-10-2023, 02:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
In the same vein, backstab does not trigger the poison.
Must be a contact poison...

Also, fucking useful info. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2023, 12:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnair [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
also saw one guy talking about how much space poison takes up; ive found the only way i can realistically carry enough poison is to dedicate an inventory slot to a Mortar n Pestle, which is then filled with stacks of poison materials. gotta have spare space to empty the container for combines but this lets you carry a minimum of 20 poisons in 6 slots. this also lets you stock way up on Spine Break herbs that are only available from one guy,and then restock vials and suspensions from any poison merchant
Perhaps not discussed much anymore but it's 100% the reason no one takes this skill seriously after trying it. It's implemented with poor QoL inventory space issues you mention. It's either keep a ton of materials and container on you or just a few for special occasions and both have major drawbacks. Later on, poisons became multicharge proc buffs that lasted like 15 mins or so. Much more useable, however the proc on demand nature on these makes poison a unique problem solving tool.
Old 08-10-2023, 02:51 PM
Sarnak

I'm actually pretty sure Spinebreak should actually be even better than it is. I should probably get the info together and make a bug post at some point.

Here, Paralyzing Poison I uses effects 36/99/11, which is poison counters/root/slow. However, in lucy, it has always used poison counters, snare, slow -- snare is set to 95% to create a root like effect. There's two big improvments from snare vs. slow; first, snares don't terminate early like roots do, so you could actually rely on rogue slow to last its duration like chanter/shaman slows do. Second, snare doesn't break on nukes, so you could root and have casters nuke the target without breaking the root effect.

There's a patch note in the June 27th 2001 patches here that calls out the switch to paralyzing poison no longer breaking on nukes.
That was almost certainly implemented by just switching it to a 95% snare effect: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/his...es-2001-1.html
Last edited by 7thGate; 08-10-2023 at 02:54 PM..
Old 08-10-2023, 05:21 PM
Sarnak

Rogue would make for a good solo artist challenge. If one used poisons and other clickies to split camp, and then spinebreak poison line juggling until the mob dies via re-applying and using the root feature to bp heal or bind wound up. On poison resist would be an issue…. Maybe a blind, fear, or root clickie in that emergency?

Any other ideas or limitations?
Old 08-10-2023, 07:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Perhaps not discussed much anymore but it's 100% the reason no one takes this skill seriously after trying it. It's implemented with poor QoL inventory space issues you mention. It's either keep a ton of materials and container on you or just a few for special occasions and both have major drawbacks. Later on, poisons became multicharge proc buffs that lasted like 15 mins or so. Much more useable, however the proc on demand nature on these makes poison a unique problem solving tool.
Poisons having charges ruins their specialness IMO. Then it just becomes another thing you click for marginal dps gain with no strategy around it.

I like the idea of them being expensive and a pain to make, but very powerful. Now that last part is where many of the different poison varieties fall short on.
Old 08-11-2023, 01:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm actually pretty sure Spinebreak should actually be even better than it is. I should probably get the info together and make a bug post at some point.

Here, Paralyzing Poison I uses effects 36/99/11, which is poison counters/root/slow. However, in lucy, it has always used poison counters, snare, slow -- snare is set to 95% to create a root like effect. There's two big improvments from snare vs. slow; first, snares don't terminate early like roots do, so you could actually rely on rogue slow to last its duration like chanter/shaman slows do. Second, snare doesn't break on nukes, so you could root and have casters nuke the target without breaking the root effect.

There's a patch note in the June 27th 2001 patches here that calls out the switch to paralyzing poison no longer breaking on nukes.
That was almost certainly implemented by just switching it to a 95% snare effect: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/his...es-2001-1.html
Oh man that's cool. I've always wondered what was up with the 95% snare effect. They shouldn't terminate early then.