Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Kunark has a room with warp pads to the starting cities, its out of the way, but still serves the purpose.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Skeleton

Yes bring it back, with 600+ players during a given weeknight the argument for global auction is quickly losing any legitimacy.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Planar Protector

Default hmm

I've been thinking about this. My thinking is to filter global chat.

First of all, the idea is not classic, but neither is global /ooc and global /auction. So that argument can't be used to oppose this idea since lots of things present in p1999 aren't classic either.

The idea I have, and that i've seen others suggest in different posts (it's not my idea alone), is to allow us to filter /ooc and /auction by city. For example, if you're leveling up near qeynos and only want to trade with people nearby, you could turn on Halas and Qeynos and Erudin. This way you can reduce the amount of chat on your screen and also not see trades that're too far away.

It would be something like...

(this is displayed in the filter tab on the options window)
Show only /ooc and /auction nearby:
[x] Qeynos
[x] Erudin
[ ] Rivervale
[ ] Freeport
[ ] Ak'anon
[ ] Felwithe
[ ] Kelethin
[ ] Oggok
[ ] Neriak
[x] Halas
[ ] Kaladim

The developers would determine which zones would be near to these cities. For example, permafrost and blackburrow and Qeynos Hills would be attached to Halas. Blackburrow, Qeynos Hills, Qeynos Catacombs, Erud's Crossing, Surefall Glade, West Karana, North Karana and maybe some others would be attached to Qeynos. Etc. Some redundancy is good because people might not know if a zone is attached to their city or not even though it's not far away. For example, is surefall glade attached to halas AND qeynos? Should it be? I think that in this case, you should always liberally add zones, but not too many. For example, surefall glades and qeynos and west karana should probably be added to Halas.

If we're going to have global /ooc and global /auction, which are not classic, we need to update how it works to reflect the fact that this isn't classic so it needs different answers. I don't like to see /ooc and /auction from people all across the world - that's 600+ people at peak hour. I can't run across the world and I don't like to see so much chat fill my screen. I'd like to be able to filter it. This wasn't available in classic, but then again, classic didn't have a global chat like this so it didn't have 300 or 400+ people constantly chatting.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 05-17-2010 at 01:02 PM..
Old 05-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

all of these ideas are good ones that we should implement based on a studied history of what works and doesn't work in everquest
Old 05-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Sarnak

I completely agree with Weekapaug. I also think its ridiculous that people who disagree with new ideas in these types of conversations immediately jump to a sarcastic comment about PoK books. You're not making an effective point. Absolutism just makes you look ignorant and stupid.

Here's sweeping news for classic EQ players: Some changes were made to the game since classic that made the game better. OMG! Is it so hard to imagine that since some of those changes were omitted for P99, that some players might want to see them reinstated because they made the game better than it was?

That said, I'm not sure if a teleporter to a bazaar zone would be the answer, since people would USE them like a PoK transporter to get around, thus "shrinking" the world. Perhaps (and this would take tremendous amounts of effort by an already overworked dev staff) the EC tunnel could be converted to use bazaar mechanics?
Old 05-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If we're going to have global /ooc and global /auction, which are not classic, we need to update how it works to reflect the fact that this isn't classic so it needs different answers.
Well that's one way to look at it, but I'd say turning off ooc/auction would be a better approach. There will be a raging river of tears about it going away, but I think it should be experimented with. Do I have enough supporters to use as living shields?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocte [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Perhaps (and this would take tremendous amounts of effort by an already overworked dev staff) the EC tunnel could be converted to use bazaar mechanics?
I would never support this. Part of the game itself was trading and having a community. I try and keep the "bot" feel out of the game for you guys.. and that's what the bazaar was.. player bots.

If you really want EC back, you guys could ask for in addition to the removal of global ooc/auction, for item links to be removed. I remember when I went to EC, it was all about buying/selling and trading. I could show up with a rubicite bracer, and by the time I left, I'd have a rubicite bracer.. *and* 5k. Part of the mystery of the game, at least to me, was learning things. Now its just click click with no learning.

That would bring back the 'EC feel', bag checks at torch 2, and various other things. It's just hard for people to ask for what is classic, if it does not benefit them.

I'm of the opinion that "ease of playing" usually only isolates players from each other. Pok books, bazaar, item links... all remove player interaction. IMO, we have enough community for EC (or whatever zone is chosen to be a hub), but not enough players, bots, boxes, and gold farmers to ever have a 'bazaar/auction house'.

Hate on me.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

jokes on you guys, i was KIDDING THE WHOLE TIME ROFLROFLROFLROFL
Old 05-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well that's one way to look at it, but I'd say turning off ooc/auction would be a better approach. There will be a raging river of tears about it going away, but I think it should be experimented with. Do I have enough supporters to use as living shields?
I'm down.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you really want EC back, you guys could ask for in addition to the removal of global ooc/auction, for item links to be removed.
Fair enough, lets do that. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Fire Giant

i agree with nilbog even to the extent of removing item links too, also i say we try it for a few days or a week and see how it goes.