Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 09:28 AM
Kobold

Default What's the best strategy for playing P99?

When the Green server opened I started my Ranger on P99 and there was a large player density and I was able to get groups easily but when the server was split I suddenly wasn't able to get any groups. I hung around for a few weeks sitting in the game, logging in for a few hours at a time, and trying to find groups but it became an impossible task so I stopped playing. I went back to WoW for the past few months and tried their Shadowlands expansion but I soon learned how much I loathe that game and I just can't play it anymore.

I always played a Ranger in EQ (my old Magelo last updated in 2007 when I quit https://eq.magelo.com/profile/1361726 ) so I made one on P99. I loved EverCrack and P99 is probably the only place I have a possibility of getting back into that game in some way but what's the best strategy to actually being able to play if you're not logging in with friends? Should I maybe choose a Druid instead and pursue soloing? I literally have all day, everyday, to play forever. My life is just convenient like that now! Wish my life was setup like then when I played EQ from 2000-2007, I probably never would have quit.

By the way, here's a screenshot I took on Green within the first few minutes it opened.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Forsh; 08-19-2021 at 09:31 AM..
Old 08-19-2021, 10:20 AM
Skeleton

In my opinion, the first character on a fresh start should be the non-gear-dependent money maker. Your second character will ultimately be your main, decked out with necessary equipment that will save time and anguish.

In your circumstance, it sounds like ranger will be your main. They are fun, but as I'm sure you're aware, almost all melee classes start off slow and vulnerable. No movement or attack speed enhancements, limited regeneration, and other slow-me-downs that make everquest a massive time sink (yet strangely rewarding!).

Consider starting with a necro, druid, enchanter, or other self-reliant class which does not *really* depend on equipment or groups to level up. When you are high enough level to farm some cash camps, get your needed wealth and start buying equipment for your main.

Not only will you have a better understanding of where to go as you level (popular hot spots for grouping or soloing), but I guarantee you will have more fun in the early levels.

Thats what I did when I started on blue years ago, and thats what I recommend you do as well.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:55 PM
Fire Giant

Rangers stink, ESPECIALLY SO in classic. The exp penalty is terrible, and with people racing to 50, they don't want a ranger in their group.

For a fresh green server, optimally you want to play either one of the main pet classes (Mages are sick in classic, but pretty much stink after that, Necros are very nice, and ENC is the best) OR A cleric/Shaman. With a cleric/shaman, you'll pretty much always be able to find groups. Always. (on a new server). Druids are also a pretty nice mix of it all, however, aren't great at making plat outside of ports.

Starting from scratch today? At this point in green.. and shit even Blue, the answer is going to be either Enchanter or Monk. Enchanters cost almost nothing to gear out, are solo monsters, are the best group class, and the best duo class. You can always find a group, you can always solo.

MY second choice for starting from scratch today is actually iksar monk. Gearing is going to be more expensive, but with a Wu's Quivering Staff you can solo into the 20s pretty easily. Great at making plat at level 60, always needed in groups, third best DPS in groups, great on raids, etc.

Those first couple days of green were magic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-19-2021, 03:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twochain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rangers stink, ESPECIALLY SO in classic. The exp penalty is terrible, and with people racing to 50, they don't want a ranger in their group.

For a fresh green server, optimally you want to play either one of the main pet classes (Mages are sick in classic, but pretty much stink after that, Necros are very nice, and ENC is the best) OR A cleric/Shaman. With a cleric/shaman, you'll pretty much always be able to find groups. Always. (on a new server). Druids are also a pretty nice mix of it all, however, aren't great at making plat outside of ports.

Starting from scratch today? At this point in green.. and shit even Blue, the answer is going to be either Enchanter or Monk. Enchanters cost almost nothing to gear out, are solo monsters, are the best group class, and the best duo class. You can always find a group, you can always solo.

MY second choice for starting from scratch today is actually iksar monk. Gearing is going to be more expensive, but with a Wu's Quivering Staff you can solo into the 20s pretty easily. Great at making plat at level 60, always needed in groups, third best DPS in groups, great on raids, etc.

Those first couple days of green were magic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Only caveat is there are no more EXP penalties on Green (for class penalties) so people won't mind having a hybrid in their group anymore. Just generally tougher to find lower level groups except in certain zones.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:59 PM
Planar Protector

The best strategy is to play what you enjoy and to play it for the enjoyment of it. When the day comes that you don't enjoy it any longer, give it up. If you want a group, just send someone a tell and start a duo, then build from there. Easy peasy.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:08 PM
Planar Protector

Okay preface, i'm about to describe a min-max meta that is unhealthy and will leave to burnout excluding the most diehard players.

1. Level any class to 60, the game starts at 60 (preferably a money maker class)
2. Farm plat/ item to sell and EC gear the class you want to main
3. Look to alternative ways to make plat powerleveling, selling no-drops loot rights etc
3.5. Use your resources to gear your future Main as best as possible.
4. Join a raid guild with your 60 and dedicate all your time to serving them in order to gain DKP or leadership favor.
5. Start gaining BiS gear which will expand 2 & 3.
6. Form a farm group, do Gwurms/Emporerer/epic farming, etc

No Tradeskills, tradeskills are a plat and time sink. Unless you know you can complete your rings shawls etc, do not spend any time on tradeskills.

You will fail this if you do not get a class to 60, a lot of people burn out at 55-56.
And remember this is the most non-classic min-max route. Ignoring fun and only focusing on End Game.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:29 PM
Planar Protector

Rangers are fine. It is a fun class to play, but you really need some specific weapons for the class to pop.

But if you do want to play one, these fine humans (totally real people, not bots) are right and you should level another "farming" class.

Druid to 39 or 44 (easy to push to 44 if you can find groups in CT) can make great money just selling ports.

Necro/mage can make great money in the early 30's killing halfing guards or HHK guards.

Honestly, if you can just power through and push a Ranger to 27/28 you can make fantastic money killing the Brutes in the cave outside the Dalnir entrance in Warslik's Woods.

Downside is no merchant/bank anywhere near you, though there is one greedy merchant in OT for food/water.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:37 PM
Fire Giant

I play a (recently) 60 ranger on blue, so my entire ranger career has been after the hybrid xp penalty was removed, but I can tell you I have no regrets having a ranger as my main from more or less the get-go.

On Blue at least, people seem glad to invite a ranger into a group. Sure I've been passed over for a rogue sometimes, but when those groups later ground to a halt when their tank left, I bet they'd wished they'd picked up a class with more utility.

Rangers may not do the most DPS hut they can keep groups going that would otherwise have to stop and look to fill specific roles. Even in my late 50s in the Hole it wasn't uncommon to go from pulling to DPS to ghetto CC to ghetto tank role all in the same night.

If you build a reputation as an attentive player who knows how to make himself useful you'll get invites and keep groups going long after they would have otherwise had to stop.

Also, raid bumping is super fun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Long story long, I love rangering, and vote you ranger too if that's what you want to do [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-19-2021, 04:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-19-2021, 05:35 PM
Fire Giant

god I miss the start of green

can we please have an accelerated timeline
Closed Thread