Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 06:01 PM
Planar Protector

Accelerated?

How about decelerated so level 1-50 good times in vanilla can be drawn out?
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:02 PM
Banned

be unemployed or have friends willing to do dumb shit with you
Old 08-19-2021, 07:08 PM
Planar Protector

Q: What's the best strategy for playing P99?
A: Stay off the forums.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewaz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rangers are fine. It is a fun class to play, but you really need some specific weapons for the class to pop.

But if you do want to play one, these fine humans (totally real people, not bots) are right and you should level another "farming" class.

Druid to 39 or 44 (easy to push to 44 if you can find groups in CT) can make great money just selling ports.

Necro/mage can make great money in the early 30's killing halfing guards or HHK guards.

Honestly, if you can just power through and push a Ranger to 27/28 you can make fantastic money killing the Brutes in the cave outside the Dalnir entrance in Warslik's Woods.

Downside is no merchant/bank anywhere near you, though there is one greedy merchant in OT for food/water.
Is bow kiting viable on a fresh classic server? I don't know for certain but I don't think so. If the answer is no, Rangers are probably the worst/hardest toon to start with. Pretty much every melee is complete crap in classic 1-50 before plane of sky. Rangers are the weakest melee class overall in terms of DPS/Tankability/etc. Add in the exp penalty and you have one very bad combination to start a server with.

Not that starting a ranger is WRONG, play whatever you want. But it's probably the hardest choice out of all of them.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:52 PM
Fire Giant

If you always want to be able to solo and you're not twinked, Ranger isn't the best option. Something like Iksar Necro would be better. But that being said, there are still groups to be had if you stick to the EXP super highway and this game is a _long_ grind to 60. So I'd be 100% certain whatever you choose appeals to you.

As for the Ranger slander in this thread, I'd like to provide some counter points.

Ranger was my first toon on green and I took it straight to 50 then farmed a small fortune with track.

In classic Rangers are actually awesome group tanks due to snap aggro and great pullers as well due to track and harmony. It's not until 51+ is when Rangers start getting the shit kicked out of them, but with a good slower it doesn't matter. Honestly, it is Kunark when Rangers are at their weakest.

I don't main my Ranger anymore, but it's underrated if you know what you're doing.
Last edited by Keebz; 08-19-2021 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: shitty mac keyboards cause typos
Old 08-19-2021, 09:01 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you always want to be able to solo and you're not twinked, Ranger isn't the best option. Something like Iksar Necro would be better. But that being said, there are still groups to be had if you stick to the EXP super highway and this game is a _long_ grind to 60. So I'd be 100% certain whatever you choose appeals to you.

As for the Ranger slander in this thread, I'd like to provide some counter points.

Ranger was my first toon on green and I took it straight to 50 then farmed a small fortune with track.

In classic Rangers are actually awesome group tanks due to snap aggro and great pullers as well due to track and harmony. It's not until 51+ is when Rangers start getting the shit kicked out of them, but with a good slower it doesn't matter. Honestly, it is Kunark when Rangers are at their weakest.

I don't main my Ranger anymore, but it's underrated if you know what you're doing.
This guy rangers. I pretty much did the same thing as him and got my ranger to level 50 pre-kunark on green. It was a lot of fun and pretty hard doing it untwinked but still quite rewarding in the end. Some things I want to add

-Rangers are fine for face-tanking classic mobs (have tanked for groups in sol B and HHK nobles before while getting to 50.

-Bow kiting is doable but really should be used as a last resort. Because I was untwinked I decided to solo Karg Icebear (Level 35) by bow kiting. With sow pots and a shit-ton of arrows I did kill him at level 15/16. ...But it took like 30 minutes of pelting him with arrows.

-Harmony and track are great and outdoor zones are your jam. I'm just not sure which outdoor zones are hot spots/high ZEM places right now (back in my day crushbone, unrest/mistmoore, HHK were all the rage and all outdoors).

-While I wasn't unemployed, I was working from home during most of this so I had a ton of time to invest so that might also be a factor.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortior [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
god I miss the start of green

can we please have an accelerated timeline
We should have a circle that recycles just the first week of green [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] lol
Old 08-22-2021, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Accelerated?

How about decelerated so level 1-50 good times in vanilla can be drawn out?
WISDOM

I purposefully only kill the lowest of the low blue and exp-giving green cons so that I can draw out the leveling process as much as possible. I’m almost a year into P99 on a single char and he’s only level 42

The OP has unlimited time, so maybe end game on P99 wouldn’t suck for him as much as for someone with RL responsibilities. But unless your idea of fun is waking up to a phone call at 3am to go Zerg some raid target that dies in 30 seconds, you probably still aren’t going to enjoy P99 end game (this is just what I’ve heard about it obviously)

Yes Shadowlands in WoW sucks, but WoW still has INSTANCED end game zones meaning you don’t have to compete against turbo-nerds for your raid targets, and it can create challenge with enemy AI and advanced raid macro rather than the challenge of who can accumulate more sweaty nerds to race to a raid target the fastest

Stop and smell the roses along the way to 60
Old 08-22-2021, 04:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Q: What's the best strategy for playing P99?
A: Stay off the forums.
QFT

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Okay preface, i'm about to describe a min-max meta that is unhealthy and will leave to burnout excluding the most diehard players.

1. Level any class to 60, the game starts at 60 (preferably a money maker class)
2. Farm plat/ item to sell and EC gear the class you want to main
3. Look to alternative ways to make plat powerleveling, selling no-drops loot rights etc
3.5. Use your resources to gear your future Main as best as possible.
4. Join a raid guild with your 60 and dedicate all your time to serving them in order to gain DKP or leadership favor.
5. Start gaining BiS gear which will expand 2 & 3.
6. Form a farm group, do Gwurms/Emporerer/epic farming, etc

No Tradeskills, tradeskills are a plat and time sink. Unless you know you can complete your rings shawls etc, do not spend any time on tradeskills.

You will fail this if you do not get a class to 60, a lot of people burn out at 55-56.
And remember this is the most non-classic min-max route. Ignoring fun and only focusing on End Game.
End Game sucks. Why would any one want to focus on that? lol
Closed Thread