Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 07-10-2023, 12:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Instancing would be the death of end game P99. As you say, it would be too boring. The encounters themselves really aren't that interesting. Part of what keeps it interesting is knowing you have to execute everything perfectly and keep moving otherwise you're not getting to kill whatever targets.
Agreed. You can see the pattern on TLP. People get their loot and stop playing. On P99 there are items that maybe drop 10 times a year, such as a Vulak Robe. There's always something you can chase after that will take a long time to get, and your guild needs to play well to get the chance at the loot in the first place.
Old 07-10-2023, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

Yup. Non-instancing basically acts as content gating to keep people chasing the carrot.

Personally, I don't mind non-instancing at all because I enjoy the social aspect of raiding more than really caring about the loot. So if on a quake we only kill 50% of the hoped for targets, that's fine. Loot on a Velious locked server is kind of pointless anyway...like yeah it's fun to strive for upgrades and it's cool to get that really good item, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter if you get it tomorrow or 6 months from now. There's no new expansion you need to gear up for, no drops that you need to help you in something like PvP battlegrounds, etc. Technically, very few pieces of loot will really make such a massive difference in your character, so we really don't need instances so that people can constantly have chances at various drops.
Old 07-10-2023, 01:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yup. Non-instancing basically acts as content gating to keep people chasing the carrot.

Personally, I don't mind non-instancing at all because I enjoy the social aspect of raiding more than really caring about the loot. So if on a quake we only kill 50% of the hoped for targets, that's fine. Loot on a Velious locked server is kind of pointless anyway...like yeah it's fun to strive for upgrades and it's cool to get that really good item, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter if you get it tomorrow or 6 months from now. There's no new expansion you need to gear up for, no drops that you need to help you in something like PvP battlegrounds, etc. Technically, very few pieces of loot will really make such a massive difference in your character, so we really don't need instances so that people can constantly have chances at various drops.
Agreed. BiS often isn't worth the DKP price. I got https://wiki.project1999.com/Vambraces_of_Discontent for 30 DKP instead of https://wiki.project1999.com/Onyx_Chain_Sleeves for 300 DKP, which would give me 40 HP and ~60 Mana over the Vambraces of Discontent. I'll gladly put that 270 DKP towards something else.

Some things have more than just stats, like Warrior Epic with it's hate proc. Those are what you should be aiming for when spending your big chunk of DKP.
Old 07-10-2023, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

Would rather have the extra one point of resists anyway, however small it is, over 40 HP and 60 Mana lol
Old 07-10-2023, 02:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Would rather have the extra one point of resists anyway, however small it is, over 40 HP and 60 Mana lol
My thoughts exactly.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:14 AM
Large Rat

Maybe I missed what everyone was finding to be "toxic", but my admittedly-limited experience is that P99 raiding is so low-key as to be almost casual vs. the holy-shit level drama that we used to see back in the day.

The original Ragefire spawn alone spawned more hostility than the combined total of what I see on p99. I haven't seen nor heard of a single fight over who gets what mob when.

All the hyper-competitive people who made up the early EQ raid scene, they just aren't on p99, because those kinds of people don't play 20-year-old games that aren't even supported by their original developers anymore.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgiabait [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe I missed what everyone was finding to be "toxic", but my admittedly-limited experience is that P99 raiding is so low-key as to be almost casual vs. the holy-shit level drama that we used to see back in the day.

The original Ragefire spawn alone spawned more hostility than the combined total of what I see on p99. I haven't seen nor heard of a single fight over who gets what mob when.

All the hyper-competitive people who made up the early EQ raid scene, they just aren't on p99, because those kinds of people don't play 20-year-old games that aren't even supported by their original developers anymore.
Yeah most people who complain about the raid scene on P99 either don't raid, or are exaggerating.

I raided in a top guild for a while, and it was perfectly fine. There was some drama between specific players, but that is normal for any online game.

Detoxx send me an angry message once because I messed up the CH chain on AoW (which was true), and the apologized right after lol.
Old 02-18-2024, 12:51 PM
Aviak

"Toxic" in everquest just means a thing happened and I don't like it.

I wanted an item\camp, but somebody else got it instead. It was very toxic. If I had gotten it instead of them though, that would not be toxic, see. I'm not sure what version of everquest people remember where all the raid guilds totally got along and were full of fine upstanding gentlemen. It never existed.

The only example of behavior in an mmo where I think "toxic" is actually the right word for it was vanilla UO, where people would grief with the sole intent of driving you off the server for good. You just can't really do stuff like that in EQ.
Old 02-18-2024, 02:18 PM
Banned

Try red99 (hopefully 2 . O (SOON(TM)))
Old 02-19-2024, 12:57 AM
Planar Protector

Reposting reply since it was deleted; no links to screenshots this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderpress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Toxic" in everquest just means a thing happened and I don't like it.
Officially, for EQ, it's described as behavior that is deemed inappropriate which may or may not break the Rules of Conduct, a long list tacked on to the PnP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderpress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure what version of everquest people remember where all the raid guilds totally got along and were full of fine upstanding gentlemen. It never existed.
There are classic forum threads showing that multiple guilds openly agreed to rotate/alternate planar zones with only the occasional disagreement/misunderstanding which was quickly resolved by leadership. While not a PvE utopia, it did exist.

Quote:
The only example of behavior in an mmo where I think "toxic" is actually the right word for it was vanilla UO, where people would grief with the sole intent of driving you off the server for good. You just can't really do stuff like that in EQ.
Phaezed-Reality, Greengrocer, Sinful Desires, Ryantwin, <Holocaust>. It would be entertaining to pick one and try to argue how they weren't toxic.