Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Sarnak

Your welcome! Usually people (Read, my Wife) just ask me to leave stuff "Well enough alone" and if it works, leave it be!

Im a compulsive fiddler and modder. Ill hack my phone, my xbox, my NES, my radio, a flashlight.....know what? I want a Windows powered refrigerator and Stove just so I can mod them. Play doom on my Stove? Why? I ask why not.

I am finding Android modding to be both relatively safe, and very enriching in terms of what it enables the devices to do. My wife's Droid Eris is next up, Im going to load 2.1 on that device because verizon is holding back any official release for an indeterminate length of time. If i hadnt already of shelled out full price ($600) for the droid I would of upgraded to the Incredible when it came out but with an OC kernal im actually running slightly faster now, with a higher quality (in daylight visability) screen. If anything the motorola DROID is the most modded and most active modding community for any android device yet.

EDIT: ScreenShots of Smoked Glass, this is my droid here. Took them about 5 minutes ago. One screen is missing, the forum only allows 4 images, but this rom has 5 homescreen. Also not shown is the clear pull down notification bar and the clear app tray. SetCPU allows cpu scaling, its set to 700mhz for daily use, 1+ghz for heavy duty, 250 mhz in sleep or stand by for battery. Free wireless tethering is included in this rom, so yea free no contract internet from my laptop wireless or wired through it. Eat crap iPad.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by ShadowWulf; 05-03-2010 at 12:36 PM..
Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Planar Protector

I love my droid. Both me and the wife got ours at launch.

I have to say that having the capacitive touch screen while also having a full keyboard was what put the Droid over the top for me. I use the keyboard a lot!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:14 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have an iphone, my dad has a droid, and I absolutely cannot stand it.

I have no problem with AT&T so that's not an issue either.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 05-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Planar Protector

I hate all of you that make enough money to afford sick phones.

BWARGLE!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Aviak

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's inherent in being a man or not... But I just am not happy with things unless I've got it exactly how I want. The exception is something I've broken, or have a high probability of breaking coupled with a low probability of fixing).

It always amazes me to see the people that have a phone for a year and are still asking how to do basic things (My mom for example.) If I get a new phone, the next few free hours are going to be spent tweaking every setting and learning how it all works.

I think the only reason I've steered away from modding my phone is the whole "bricking" worry. I have this mental image comparing bricking my phone to getting donkey kicked in the balls. Plus.. as a student I can't afford to go buying new things that "worked well enough" as you're wife would have said.

On another note. What are the two apps / mods that show the massive digital clock + weather, and the panels for controlling silent, gps, screen brightness, etc?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:30 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I couldn't live without my iphone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 05-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyzon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On another note. What are the two apps / mods that show the massive digital clock + weather, and the panels for controlling silent, gps, screen brightness, etc?
Turns out its damn near impossible to brick a droid. Ever an insane 1.5+ ghz overclock will just boot loop it, then you just pop into SPRRecovery and reflash your lower kernel. Viola. Thus far, outside of manufactured defencs or phones that had suffered extreme abuse I have yet to read of someone who permanently bricked their DROID.

The Clock and Weather and one widget, the other control are the same widget actually just split off. Its called WEATHER AND TOGGLE WIDGET on the market, its completely reskinnable and customizable, the the clock and weather widgets can also be split up if one so desires. I just picked it up 2 days ago though so i cant give a full review just yet, but i do like it.

One thing ill give the iphone: It "Works". Kinda like a mac. It works the same, all the time no matter what. Its simple, straight forward and unkillable without root acess. At the same time its another tightly closed system, not customizable outside of pre-selected apple approved options.

With the droid its more technical, buggy if you dont know what your doing, and so adjustable and customizable and OPEN that some users get lost in it, having a hard time making basic functions work for fear of hitting the wrong options and getting lost.

Some like it one way, others another.
Last edited by ShadowWulf; 05-03-2010 at 01:38 PM..
Old 05-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Aviak

You have any games running on your droid?

I've taken a liking to WordUp and Bebbled for mental challenges. (Played Torect, but I just can't figure out the damn puzzles).

I beat Age of Conquest to the point where it wasn't fun. JewelLust was pretty, but didn't have playability beyond a few hours.

I probably got the most play time out of Robo Defense, but can't stand to look at it anymore (because of how much I played it for a few weeks).

I'm currently playing Pocket Empire, which seems fun to hop on now and then since it runs real time.

I checked out iMobsters and WorldWar, but they just seem gimmicky.

You have any experiences to share?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Sarnak

I got a Droid the day it release (Nov 6th) and haven't looked back since! (although I did totally destroy that one by accident, and am on my 2nd Droid... I have pics! Haha!) It's an amazing phone. Running 2.1, non-modded/rooted. Only "mod" I have is a Zagg InvisiShield for just the screen, which is a very nice screen protector. Just makes the screen more "tacky" feeling, and not as smooth as the glass.

Games:
UniWar (think Advance Wars)
Bonsai Blast
Raging Thunder
Totemo Lite (not sure if I want to buy this one.. sometimes brutally hard)
Parallel Kingdoms (google map based MMO game.. cool and crappy at the same time)
Light Racer demo
Air Control
WordUp!

I keep dreaming that someone could get a big game running on it... like EQ or WoW or something... well most likely would have to be through a RDP type service like OnLive! is boasting to do. Because I know the specs can't handle it. The HD space is there, but everything else isn't. I love pocket devices and the portability, but am still waiting for them to able to play PC games well [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Seeing Quake & Doom on the Droid is awesome! Stuff like that.
Last edited by FatMagic; 05-03-2010 at 02:56 PM..
Old 05-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyzon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You have any games running on your droid?
overclocked, with a mamepad i play snes, nes, doom and quake on it.

Yes, quake.
Closed Thread