Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Sarnak

I can barely remember Luclin, but do remember somehow getting a key for Vex'Thal. Maybe I free-loaded a bit too much during the Luclin period? Really, I cant remember it taking 'hundreds of hours' xD

Luclin sucked ass though. It took the game in a direction that wasn't for me. Luckily I had Counter-Strike to easily replace EQ for me.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Planar Protector

lol Shinra.. FFVII much?
Old 09-13-2010, 07:38 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And compared to the difficulty of Ssra, VT was a cakewalk. The only wipes came from extreme boredom/people falling asleep.
Staying focused for 8h in VT was an accomplishment by itself. A wipe had led to calling the raid and another guild would have jumped in to gank Aten.

In my opinion Velious was already flawed by design, as it didn't introduce new levels but solely left us raid encounters for further char enhancement. On the other hand I never understood all the complains about POP books. This was just a minor convenience over calling a druid/wizard in order to get a ride. I rather hated the automated bazaar.

That said, I still enjoyed EQ until Serpent Spine, when we got forced into a total revamped, instance driven and utterly boring group game, as mandatory requirement for raid progression. That was the point when I left for good.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronjer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On the other hand I never understood all the complains about POP books. This was just a minor convenience over calling a druid/wizard in order to get a ride..
I did not dislike PoP books at the time they were introduced either, however do you agree you're happy we don't have them as we progress in classic p1999?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Kobold

I'm happy we don't have port books in P1999 - the world seems big, and it should.

From SoL:

Ssra was awesome, no question. It was full of all the things which make EQ great: named, camps, rares, side stories, raid mobs, challenge. I really enjoyed the time spent in there.

VT was wretched - none of the mobs were especially hard if you had the right raid mix, it was pure grinding and repeated exercises in 30+ mins of CH rotations (trivia: this zone finally broke LoS from chaos healing and forced us to adopt CH rot). If you never experience the pain of AE knockback, AE blind, gating Thalls, be thankful. The only redeeming element: death runs. Oh, and the Ant Legs bracer - that thing owned.

Horses were ok, but they forced you to use new models (and we all know classic troll with purple eyes is the best model in all of EQ) - so that's a huge negative there.

In the take it or leave it SoL analysis, I say leave it - only on just barely. For all other expansions which followed... keep moving, nothing to see here.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Fire Giant

You're all wrong. ToV was the best zone ever. had so much fun in there on all 3 wings. i was in monky paradise

and pulling sleepers tomb (after awoken never seen before) was pretty special for me as a monk. that bit prob a bit boring for the rest of the raid that waited at the zone in though hehe. but boy was it a sight for the pullers on that first room
Old 09-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Planar Protector

I think part of the reason Luclin seemed lacking was that when you consider how progressively epic Classic->Kunark->Velious was in regard to lore/items/difficulty, and then consider how hard EQ blew its load in NToV (non stop multiple dragon killing averaging 10-15 uber items per raid) - pretty hard to follow.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

My favorite was Velious. Giants vs Dragons, PoG all that stuff rocked for me.

I think Kael and Skyshrine were really fun, ToV less so.because of the Resist fest you needed to play in there.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Planar Protector

This post has a lot of potential.

Everquest:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Kunark:

Velious:

EVERYTHING ELSE:
(yes, that is a stretch Yugo)

World of Warcraft:
Old 09-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Fire Giant

I think the problem with the EQ expansions as a whole is that they a) came out too fast and too often, and b) deviated from the core gameplay elements of the original concept (classic).

P99 - Blue
Lafael - Druid - Level 60
Garnagle - Necro - Level 57
Seductress - Enchanter - Level 52
Sweets - Bard - Level 35
Venexia - Shaman - Level 60
Wonderelf - Warrior - Level 51
Closed Thread