Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:47 AM
Skeleton

curious Skorge who were you on veeshan? was my server also from the beginning to the end of it with the merger
Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinlain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I just started not to long ago, and I am already figuring out this server is not classic AT ALL....

First: I can understand RMT, there has always been that, but allowing you to sell your accounts for plat is ok? Not to mention even selling them on the official site. if I remember right you weren't even allowed to share your account with a member of your own family on classic live. Let alone sell it for ingame currency.. This alone ruins the economy. Not to mention it also even invites RMT, new people can just buy plat. Come on this website, and purchase a raid lvl toon. How can GM's allow this?

Second: Camps.... in classic GM's would enforce camping rules, perma camping was not allowed at all, shoot "camping" was not even allowed except for a few special camps. When a certain camp was allowed like Fungi, epic camps etc. It was usally get your item, and leave the camp to the next person on the list.

Third: NBG: In classic, there was once a thing called need before greed. You know where if you need something you would get it before someone who can't even equip it, and wants it to resell. Granted, I am not 60 yet. So I don't know first hand how this plays out in high end camps, but from what I see on the forums its non exsistant.

Forth: Raiding.. In classic, there were rotations for raids which were GM enforced. None of this one guild conquer's all nonsense. This happened in classic, and verant quickly ended that. I don't see how GM's on this server do not enforce a rotation, it isn't hard.

Fifth: While I understand GM's cannot handle all these requests, but this is one of the reasons they had guides. This server has over 800 people. There should be no reason that there shouldnt be a few community guides to help enforce the rules, and overall make this a better experiance for new, and old players.

If this is going to be a mirror of classic EQ, that should also mean the same ruleset, am I right?
My theory is that in the past 10 years or so, gamers (particularly MMORPGers) have degenerated into self-entitled pricks with an exaggerated sense of their own importance. This post is a great example of that.

I didn't realize it at the time, but in retrospect I think one of the things that made EQ great was that its devs and admins really didn't give two shits about their playerbase. They not only force fed us updates and expansions full of bugs, but the original game, by accident or by design, took an entirely hands-off approach to moderating content. No instancing meant that servers had to make their own rules for everything from camps to raid mob rotations. If someone trained you or ninja'd your mob, you didn't petition it like a little bitch - you took it to the server forums and the person who did it would be held accountable. As a result, there was a sense of community in pre-Luclin EQ that's not nearly as prevalent in most modern games.

I'm not sure if it was the introduction of instancing or something else entirely that brought about all of this whining, but the number of "this isn't fair to me, I want admins to level the playing field" type posts on these forums is disgusting and doesn't belong in Everquest. If you want a game with a shitload of arbitrary rules that are over-enforced, go play World of Warcraft.
Last edited by Peener; 07-26-2013 at 09:00 AM..
Old 07-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
curious Skorge who were you on veeshan? was my server also from the beginning to the end of it with the merger
Hey man, I played on Veeshan until the server split then I went to Saryn. I was in Order of the Phoenix. My first main was Amus Avalanche, a barbarian shaman...I ended up selling him for $1,700 on eBay way back in the day.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peener [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My theory is that in the past 10 years or so, gamers (particularly MMORPGers) have degenerated into self-entitled pricks with an exaggerated sense of their own importance. This post is a great example of that.

If someone trained you or ninja'd your mob, you didn't petition it like a little bitch.

If you want a game with a shitload of arbitrary rules that are over-enforced, go play World of Warcraft.
Man i like this Peen guy. Finally someone who has a set of huevos. Too many wankers out there throwing their hands up in the air about things being unfair, wanting immediately for the GMs to fix their problems instead of taking some kind of measure into their own hands to change things. Im guessing a lot of these goofballs were the kind of kids who ran to the teacher to tattle tale if they didn't get their way in the sandbox, apparently not much has changed for them =/.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Skeleton

Nice! Had a druid named Suka and still have my enchanter Locco. think he is 85? both are on the server veeshan merged with

remade Suka here =)
Old 07-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Planar Protector

Welcome OP to 2013's Project 1999 not 1999 Verant EQ. While i agree and it sounds like you were on Brell server when you started people here do what they want and have no regard for the way anything ran on "normal" servers back in the day.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peener [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I didn't realize it at the time, but in retrospect I think one of the things that made EQ great was that its devs and admins really didn't give two shits about their playerbase. They not only force fed us updates and expansions full of bugs, but the original game, by accident or by design, took an entirely hands-off approach to moderating content. No instancing meant that servers had to make their own rules for everything from camps to raid mob rotations. If someone trained you or ninja'd your mob, you didn't petition it like a little bitch - you took it to the server forums and the person who did it would be held accountable. As a result, there was a sense of community in pre-Luclin EQ that's not nearly as prevalent in most modern games.

I'm not sure if it was the introduction of instancing or something else entirely that brought about all of this whining, but the number of "this isn't fair to me, I want admins to level the playing field" type posts on these forums is disgusting and doesn't belong in Everquest. If you want a game with a shitload of arbitrary rules that are over-enforced, go play World of Warcraft.
Could it be that it was all so simple then, or has time rewritten every line?

And if we could all do it over again, tell me....

Would we?

Could we?

Memories, may be beautiful, and yet,

what's too painful to remember, we choose to forget.

So it's the laughter

we will remember

whenever we remember

The way...... we were
Old 07-26-2013, 09:47 AM
Sarnak

If you want something changed you need to have TMO request it. If you want a rotations you need to have TMO request it, after all they got their rotation. Sad fact is prolly 80 percent of the server wants rotation, and 20 percent doesn't, and yes in classic Verant did enforce rotations, if guilds refused to create their own, you just had to push for it. Sadly most changes p99 makes, actually helps one guild monopolize content. Varience, changes to vp, little server respawns, all these things favor TMO more then any other guild. Take out varience, its not classic, you have FTE shout, maybe after the stupidity of sitting 200 people on a mob a few dozen times, the guilds will actually get together and work on high end raiding.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Kobold

Everyone had a different live experience, but far and wide I think people back then were alot more 'human' when it came to discussing issues.

People on this server have a constant greedy entitlement chip on their shoulder. ( trying to relive their great nostalgia )

This server will never have a rotation so long as variance is around.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by baramur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
and yes in classic Verant did enforce rotations, if guilds refused to create their own, you just had to push for it.
Utter bullshit.
Closed Thread