Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 11-05-2022, 07:38 PM
Banned

As much of a huge clusterfuck that day was, I still applaud the staff for rectifying it very quickly and fairly.

I also agree it was almost certainly something intentional and malicious by somebody. Spawning in qeynos aqueducts just makes absolutely no sense without somebody specifically choosing that location.

Although on the other hand, if somebody had wanted to do it maliciously it would make more sense to just spawn everyone in plane of fear or something. Evil races aren't going to be impacted by spawning in oggok, other than just being inconvenienced for a bit.
Last edited by Ooloo; 11-05-2022 at 07:41 PM..
Old 11-07-2022, 12:24 AM
Planar Protector

Yes that’s why it wasn’t intentional
Old 11-07-2022, 08:19 AM
Banned

intentional would be obvs hate fear, unless disgruntled theory was low iq or short on time b4 access revocation
Old 11-07-2022, 09:26 AM
Planar Protector

Maybe they didn't have DB access, but rather did it via some in-game mechanism.

If so, starting cities allows them to create new characters in the zones they target and do it immediately.

You need to be 46+ to get into planes. Who is risking their main toon for lolz?

My prediction:
  1. One night, someone (probably incredibly talented, wealthy, smart, and handsome) was messing with memory offsets in the client and the X, Y, or Z offset is a float, but they sent an int 4 byte. Or maybe they sent a negative number or something outside of the acceptable range
  2. Their client then told the server their location value was something impossible
  3. When they exit out or camp there is some custom script to do auto-GMing to put them at a safe spot when they log back in
  4. This script was poorly written and changed the login location for EVERYONE
  5. Upon discovering this the following morning, our savvy chap laughed his butt off like never before
  6. He began testing if it was their own doing by testing several different zones
  7. Rogean logs on and has a friendly convo with him then proceeds to fix it
  8. END

This theory could explain what happened and it was both not an inside job, but not a hack/attack, but at the same time it was a "coding error."

There only mistake was not doing the Arena [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Any other theories?
Old 11-07-2022, 02:17 PM
Banned

ok mulder
Old 11-07-2022, 03:00 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortles Snortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
intentional would be obvs hate fear, unless disgruntled theory was low iq or short on time b4 access revocation
No, because you need 46+ for those. In front of city GMs is actually perfect because everyone can get there, people can get there to safely spectate, and the GMs are level 61 and really fuckin tough.
Old 11-07-2022, 03:39 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

There only mistake was not doing the Arena [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wish I would have logged on that day. And I agree that everyone popping up in a PVP arena would have been amazing.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:19 AM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Those are some tall accusations there.

But I do see your reasoning:

Felwithe is the most anti-evil city.

Oggok is an anti-good city that can be confusing for some people to try and exit.

And as you mentioned the specific locations. It's almost like a trap was being set.

Did the GMs get sick of endless petitions and say... "OK... it's time for PAIN!"?
A GM would never use their admin tools to go out with a bang. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What you want is the First Time EQ Experience all over again. It's understandable, everyone that experienced it knows what it was like. But, and I want you to absorb this, IT WILL NEVER BE THE SAME. Not ever. No matter how hard you try.

I hope you find what you're looking for, but it will never be the way you want it, even if they were able to make it 100% exactly like it was at launch.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wish I would have logged on that day. And I agree that everyone popping up in a PVP arena would have been amazing.
I doubt it would be amazing. People on PvE servers wouldn't fight each other there, they'd just walk out. Maybe some people with low resists could get owned by casters though.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:57 PM
Planar Protector

Lowbies woulda been insta-pwned if it was the Arena.

I still hold on to my conspiracy(?) theory it was an extremely smart, handsome, talented elf, probably a total stable genius as well with many achievements.

Agree with 'Gard, not a GM.