Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 03-23-2023, 02:42 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkfist37 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People keep saying this like it's facts but is there any proof other than "it feels different because enchanters in my groups didn't charm back then"?
No. The answer to your question is "No."
Balamorm<ALS> - Barbarian Rogue
Deetith - Iksar Monk
Old 03-23-2023, 04:27 PM
Planar Protector

no the answer is who cares just play an enchanter and git gud you plebs
Old 03-24-2023, 09:47 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkfist37 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People keep saying this like it's facts but is there any proof other than "it feels different because enchanters in my groups didn't charm back then"?
I played an enchanter back then, I did solo charm in Seb or lower dogs while bored at 60, or in early luclin. I would semi-regularly die to multiple resists on tashed, low blue cons - which simply cannot happen on P99.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:10 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hmm there was a post trilogy resist/spell/melee rebanalnce, wasn’t there? Part of it was a rebalance of max damage to be just 2dmg+db. Sad times.
There were several incremental steps in rebalancing throughout Luclin. My impression at the time is that it was good for the game. The expansion itself was shit, but I liked the eventual outcome in class balance - before PoP messed it all up again [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-24-2023, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iumuno [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played an enchanter back then, I did solo charm in Seb or lower dogs while bored at 60, or in early luclin. I would semi-regularly die to multiple resists on tashed, low blue cons - which simply cannot happen on P99.
Man I wish I knew how to find evidence to prove this!

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iumuno [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, on low blues on p99 some spells have a 0 chance to be resisted; I thought there was a resists floor on live but I'm not sure. Lower dogs mobs still have a chance to resist here though, more like velk entrance spiders where you start to see literally 0 resists on some spells.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
There were several incremental steps in rebalancing throughout Luclin. My impression at the time is that it was good for the game. The expansion itself was shit, but I liked the eventual outcome in class balance - before PoP messed it all up again [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You probably didn’t know how to cast colour flux(!)

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 03-24-2023, 12:52 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Man I wish I knew how to find evidence to prove this!
At this stage though, the discussion is academic - I wouldn't expect such a radical change. Toxigen is pretty much right there.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

Eh, Nilbog has made some pretty dramatic changes over the years when presented with evidence.

I truly believe he wants the server to be as classic as possible, but just ... he thinks what he has now is correct, and won't change his mind without evidence to the contrary.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-27-2023, 02:28 PM
Aviak

Another unhelpful anecdotal:

I played live from early 2000-2007. I played druid until right around Velious launch and switched to enchanter. Blew past my 35 druid to level 60 in like 3 months due to enchanters being highly sought in groups.

My wife was playing cleric but played significantly less than I did at the time. I remember PL'ing her in Chardok in the lev tunnel by CE using charm exclusively (50-60 for her). Just the 2 of us, and her mostly afk for the duration.

Shortly after this though was Luclin and then that huge nerf to enchanter charm pet damage but i cant figure out when that actually went live. That charm change 100% stopped my use of charmed pets (aside from some playing with dire charming in POP later).

The real skew with this perception in my opinion is that we are living in a very specific window that only existed for maybe a little over a year in live.

But also, my memory may not be entirely trustworthy on the entirety of this.

Jaladian/Jaladiun/Vekter