Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 03-06-2023, 09:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The fact that resists are also completely broken on p99 and it's effectively impossible to resist any dragon ae in the game does sway towards stacking HP for a lot of classes though. Even 255's across the board doesn't see much effect on a huge amount of content. Look at old live ntov, sontalak, vp videos from 20+ years ago and dudes in very basic late kunark gear and early velious mismatched junk barely took an AE from Sont.
Similar complaints were made in classic, but based on their descriptions it does sound different to what takes place here. By most accounts back then, 175 seemed to be the magic number at least during that point in the classic timeline.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010204...ML/052807.html

Quote:
NOR_Bard
Station Member posted 01-29-2001 02:50 PM
(Reposted from the Concert Hall. Sorry Kaearia, couldn't resist ) -=B=-

3. The decline in the importance of bard resists

In the 55+ large target encounters, resists seem to be less important. Back when I was 45-50, having bards to boost everyone's resists could make or break a Nagafen/Vox raid. Raising resists was so important most bards at these raids chose to use a drum instead of weapons, foregoing doing any damage.

Against Gorenaire, Talendor, Trakanon, etc, having my resists at 255 doesn't seem to make much if any difference. I get feared and take full AE damage anyway. Giving mobs spells that are so difficult to resist diminishes the role of a bard in these raids. I currently only play resists because a lot of my friends enjoy seeing their resists in the 200+ range. Personally I don't think it makes that much difference from the 150-200 resist most players are achieving with equipment and spell buffs. I hear there's a "soft cap" at 175 after which resists make much less of a difference.

Solution: Remove the "soft cap" if it exists. Improve the player resist rate against these high-end targets with maximum resist, so that there's a significant benefit to getting up near 255. Double-check to make sure there's no roll-over bug when resists exceed 255 (or whatever the max is in your code).

Quote:
Ripley
Station Member posted 01-29-2001 04:40 PM

Bards are useless on Big Raids, for 50+ characters. The only thing we contribute are high resists, and Thott of Afterlife has demonstrated that any resists over 175 or so are useless anyway.
Quote:
Menadin
Station Member posted 01-29-2001 05:25 PM
Please take the time to fully understand the issues that were raised on the Concert Hall. Many of these ideas are well thought out in my opinion. Although I doubt you’ll be able to address all of them I hope you’ll at least give them serious consideration.

With regards to uber mobs and epic encounters, I’m disheartened to see my role as a resist buffer diminished to the point of non-usefulness. When my guild fought Antonican dragons, my resist songs often made it possible for people to stay in the fight when they normally would have succumbed to fear or be destroyed by the dragons breath. This does not seem to be the case with Kunark/Velious mobs where maximum resists of 255 and an apparent soft-cap of 175 offer the same protection. If this is the case then the new blue diamond jewelry plus other items effectively eliminates this role for me on raids and turns me into a liability rather than an asset.
Quote:
dyahannah
Station Member posted 01-29-2001 11:37 PM
ok couple of quick points here absor so please bear with me...

2-resists at raid level encounters are basically meaningless, and it does seem that a combonation of the rumoured soft cap of 175, and the persons level have more of an impact on whether they resist or not, to me this is a very serious issue because if we are not needed for resists, then we should be able to contribute in some way...and we all know that bard melee blows
Old 03-06-2023, 10:21 AM
Fire Giant

You know on p99 we had 355 resists for 3 years right.

They were still largely useless. There is nothing classic about how it’s implemented here is what I’m getting at. Anecdotally you can watch videos and see people resisting on a large scale ae’s. Simply not the case here.

The worst is the unclassic hitpoint update. Tank hp rate of change display should be really slow. Like maybe 30% per second maximum displayed rate of change. Tank HP bars used to smoothly sail up and down like waves. Not jump to specific numeric values and I hit a reaper if >20%.
Last edited by Solist; 03-06-2023 at 10:25 AM..
Old 03-06-2023, 10:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You know on p99 we had 355 resists for 3 years right.

They were still largely useless.
Yeah it got mentioned from time to time late into Kunark on blue, that supposedly 255 could be exceeded, though no one had the exact number and this was well after the 3 year mark. EQ rumors seem to die hard.
Last edited by Ennewi; 03-06-2023 at 10:32 AM..
Old 03-06-2023, 11:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
The worst is the unclassic hitpoint update. Tank hp rate of change display should be really slow. Like maybe 30% per second maximum displayed rate of change. Tank HP bars used to smoothly sail up and down like waves. Not jump to specific numeric values and I hit a reaper if >20%.
Do you have any evidence to suggest this was a purposeful mechanic, and not simply due to low data rates back in 1999-2001 with dial up?

On a technical level, what you are describing could have easily been caused by simply not getting data packets on a timely manner. Most multiplayer video games do what is called interpolation, which basically involves filling in the gaps between data packets on the client. This gives the appearance that you are getting data when you are actually not.

My guess is this wasn't an intended mechanic (the HP bar not being precise). What was probably happening was you were getting that HP data packet every few seconds, and the bar was simply interpolating between the old number and the new number. Having a smooth animation on the client looks better than a jump, and gives the illusion of intent.

Unless P99 purposely tries to emulate low data transfer, you won't be able to get those kinds of unintended behaviors in 2023. Even poor quality internet these days is much faster and more reliable than dialup in 1999.
Old 03-06-2023, 11:09 AM
Planar Protector

make number bigger take less dmg

get red health bar bigly CH
Old 03-06-2023, 11:24 AM
Planar Protector

most gear you can tell whats better, dont go all DSM in this thread thanks.

I love HGL's but i prefer tanking harder things on my pally and dont do regular farm group content like that with it (use my ranger then).

Most gear is pretty obv whats better.
Old 03-06-2023, 11:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
make number bigger take less dmg

get red health bar bigly CH
Original poster has a shaman healing him, not a cleric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
HGL's
Great item for increasing health pool and drawing out a CH rotation. Not a great item for maximizing Torpor effectiveness. As you said, it's not rocket science.
Last edited by Danth; 03-06-2023 at 11:48 AM..
Old 03-06-2023, 08:19 PM
Planar Protector

Bag space is a serious problem, for warriors and any pack-rat knights. I have a few higher ac items but not a set to swap around.

Usually I will use a 1h and shield if tanking anything notable just to avoid any unsolicited advice or hindsight quarterbacking if we wipe. If CH(s) is keeping up easy on easier fights I’ll use a 2h because doing 20dps is depressing AF.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah it got mentioned from time to time late into Kunark on blue, that supposedly 255 could be exceeded, though no one had the exact number and this was well after the 3 year mark. EQ rumors seem to die hard.
No.

ON P99, you could exceed it. On this server. On the client, numerically. It showed. \

The 255 client shown cap wasn't till like 2013 or something. We did initial VP kills with 400+ resists in FR, still got chewed by nex and noone resisted. As it's broken. Was an indoor zone then too, so we could LoS it.

Not sure how to say it any clearer. There was no 255 cap. You saw 256 on the client, on xp mobs the resists scaled fine. You saw 304MR if you had 304MR, on p99. And that was 304MR. Dragon resists here are insanely overtuned. I'm not talking about showing 255, and having some effect past 255.
Last edited by Solist; 03-06-2023 at 08:27 PM..
Old 03-06-2023, 09:03 PM
Fire Giant

Sorry for double post.

Here's a video of P99 blue in my guild a dozen years ago. Check Daltheb's PR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd7X...hannel=Daltheb

Once songs are on (RIP song window), you can see 398PR. I used to rock 455 in one set of gear on Motec, and for nexona pushed 420FR. Think I had like 2200 mana or something haha. Still didn't resist much more, as they're so broken.