Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 03-19-2023, 09:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajbert [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But since you’d be dumping attribute points into it you’d basically have a serpentine bracer (or djarn’s) that gives you 5 sta or wis or cha - whatever you spent points on. And sure there’s fungi penalty (and someone mentioned lodi shield?) but there are valorium greaves, hiero cloak, spiked seahorse hide belt, deepwater greaves, shroud of veeshan, 6-necks. Sure you may be stuck with the one suboptimal piece for a while like a forest loop but that’s no biggie to me in the grand scheme of things. For the same reason I wouldn’t slap 20 starting str on a rogue and no one would bat an eyebrow at that.

I still say 5 agi on ogre, erudite and dwarf is a trap.
Agreed. Velious items are loaded with agility. Silly way to throw away 5 creation points.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:57 AM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

i quit raiding years ago and will probably never finish this toon. i went sta/agi, if i could do it again id go wis/agi.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:25 AM
Planar Protector

As a casual raider for now I’m wearing a djarns. The AC drop was milder than I assumed and I just wanted the raw hps.
Old 03-19-2023, 02:26 PM
Planar Protector

The reason wasting 5 points on agility is required is because I’m thinking from a vanilla pvp perspective, where you may or may not have any stat adding items for a long time.

Same with skipping charisma. You can lull with fails and be passable. It’s a sacrifice but you get 5 mr and way better melee stats during a time where stats are scarce and trolls are going to be pummeling you.

A dwarf with all points to charisma and 5 to agi might be a good long term blended build, going full wisdom is just saying whatever I’m gunna ignore the weak lulls in exchange for better in every other category
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 03-19-2023, 03:34 PM
Planar Protector

It would be easier to be a high elf from day one but most of their advantage goes away if you put points into melee stats and you still end up with bad melee stats. If you’re making a character during velious era the choice makes
More sense.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:30 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The reason wasting 5 points on agility is required is because I’m thinking from a vanilla pvp perspective, where you may or may not have any stat adding items for a long time.

Same with skipping charisma. You can lull with fails and be passable. It’s a sacrifice but you get 5 mr and way better melee stats during a time where stats are scarce and trolls are going to be pummeling you.

A dwarf with all points to charisma and 5 to agi might be a good long term blended build, going full wisdom is just saying whatever I’m gunna ignore the weak lulls in exchange for better in every other category
From a PvP perspective lulls probably won't be your priority and instead wisdom will be. I doubt it'll take long to get something like a serpentine bracer, which effectively would be a 4 agi 5 wisdom 3 dex bracer, not bad!
Old 03-19-2023, 05:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It would be easier to be a high elf from day one but most of their advantage goes away if you put points into melee stats and you still end up with bad melee stats. If you’re making a character during velious era the choice makes
More sense.
Then again given how shit paladin melee is in early Classic you're probably gonna get better bang for the buck going wisdom. And if you go wisdom with a High Elf you are gonna have enough charisma to sorta make lulling work eventually anyway with some swap-in items. Unlike a dwarf without charisma which can basically give up on that prospect.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:34 AM
Planar Protector

This game has cycled on and off for over 20 years. Most people never put points into wisdom and I expect those (especially on live) who put any points into CHA are in the single percentage digits.

If you believe the OG dev’s intent that a knight is 80% melee/20% putting points into str or sta make more sense. If you plan to cap these stats easily with vulak and doz gear sure go for wis.

If you can afford a semi-functional lull kit (maybe 3k) then go for cha. Just know the difference between a dwarf with 170 and 190 cha isn’t noticeable in Lower Guk and The Hole. Frankly as much as it pains me I’d rather see someone put points into Dex because at least it’s a combat stat and that’s primarily what a paladin is supposed to do. Jeldorin, epic, primal, dawncall, craslith, all good procs.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:13 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajbert [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From a PvP perspective lulls probably won't be your priority and instead wisdom will be. I doubt it'll take long to get something like a serpentine bracer, which effectively would be a 4 agi 5 wisdom 3 dex bracer, not bad!
It's still a 1 AC bracer on a tank class. It sucks.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This game has cycled on and off for over 20 years. Most people never put points into wisdom and I expect those (especially on live) who put any points into CHA are in the single percentage digits.

If you believe the OG dev’s intent that a knight is 80% melee/20% putting points into str or sta make more sense. If you plan to cap these stats easily with vulak and doz gear sure go for wis.

If you can afford a semi-functional lull kit (maybe 3k) then go for cha. Just know the difference between a dwarf with 170 and 190 cha isn’t noticeable in Lower Guk and The Hole. Frankly as much as it pains me I’d rather see someone put points into Dex because at least it’s a combat stat and that’s primarily what a paladin is supposed to do. Jeldorin, epic, primal, dawncall, craslith, all good procs.
I'd rather have the CHA for more dangerous lulls like HS, seb, velks, etc. I went wis on my pally and found basically zero use for it. if I need to get off one extra hot with that extra wis then I prob lost the fight anyway. But ymmv.