Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 04-10-2023, 07:31 PM
Large Bat

Question What to do starting out?

Hi there, I just rolled a Wizzy & have started Qeynos. Having fun blasting mobs at the front gates, but wondering if there are some other things I should be doing instead of just mob grinding?

Cheers!
Last edited by ohatcheejack; 04-10-2023 at 07:47 PM..
Old 04-10-2023, 07:50 PM
Fire Giant

I'm still noob, so I don't know all the noob quests. But I would just save bone chips, and kill any willow wisps you run into, for greater lightstones.

Then when you go to Blackburrow, save gnoll fangs.

There's some 5 hp earrings in the Qeynos sewers, but they aren't that big of a deal if the sewers are too hard to learn.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:12 PM
Sarnak

There are also the putrid skeletons, rabid grizzlies and rabid wolves that drop stuff you can turn in for experience.
Old 04-11-2023, 02:28 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohatcheejack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi there, I just rolled a Wizzy & have started Qeynos. Having fun blasting mobs at the front gates, but wondering if there are some other things I should be doing instead of just mob grinding?

Cheers!
One thing I will say is that Wizard is a bold choice for a new player. Finding groups will be difficult since Wizards have slow mana regen. Great Semi-AFK solo class if you're busy.

I started a Wizard on Green and I had to form my own groups all the time.

P99B Strazha (60 Warlock) [Iksar]
P99B Sstrix (60 Warlord) [Iksar]
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]
P99G Sauna (51 Channeler) [Gnome]
P99R Sseri (54 Mystic) [Iksar]
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Old 04-11-2023, 05:31 AM
Sarnak

EQ is a very grindy game so as long as you're getting something from grinding (coin/loot/xp) then you're playing it right. Qeynos is a great starting area, make sure you hit the aqueducts for some rings and earrings, then hit Blackburrow for fangs and West Karana for bandit sashes, you'll have hundreds of plat in no time.

I would echo what Lurgot said; Wizard is a very tough class that you may find isn't that much fun for a first character. Don't be afraid to try out other classes - I recommend necro or druid for new players.
Old 04-11-2023, 08:48 AM
Planar Protector

log off, create iksar necro or tunare-worshiping druid

return to wiz (or a different class) when you have a better understanding of the game
Old 04-11-2023, 02:13 PM
Sarnak

Yeah, unless you have your heart set on rolling a particular class then I would try one of the 'easier' options. Because nothing is that easy starting out fresh on p99.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:06 PM
Planar Protector

Why are people saying Wizard is a difficult starting class? The concept is simple; if something is moving, nuke it. You might have downtime but it's a pretty safe class considering how strong the damage spells are, and people love the ports so it's good at money making.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

See: https://wiki.project1999.com/Qeynos_Starting_Guide

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-11-2023, 10:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why are people saying Wizard is a difficult starting class? The concept is simple; if something is moving, nuke it. You might have downtime but it's a pretty safe class considering how strong the damage spells are, and people love the ports so it's good at money making.
The main problem is the down time though. The down time will basically kill someones interest in playing the game. That’s why necros are so great, because they have very limited downtime.

In fact I’m about to create another necro and play him to 60. It’s just that much fun haha.