Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 02-01-2023, 01:53 AM
Fire Giant

What are both of your weapon setups?
Old 02-01-2023, 04:05 AM
Planar Protector

Inner fire never gets upgraded. The buff in the 30s+ are a different buff slot.

Inner fire is equivalent to the cleric’s courage line, hp talisman are equivalent to the magi’s shield lines.

Tldr you can cast innerfire and talisman on the same target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefall [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just saw your link for youtube at the bottom of your profile, subscribed and will definitely check it out.

Is there ever a point to cast Malise before slow in the future or its upgrades? The other day slow got resisted literally 5x in a row (fighting giants) so I cast a malise which also got resisted, so it's like what's the point?
Both malise and slow are magic spells with no resist mod to landing. When malise sticks slow would have stuck.

Unless your group are casting a lot of spells on a mob it isn’t worth using malise imo.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Last edited by Jimjam; 02-01-2023 at 04:08 AM..
Old 02-01-2023, 09:38 AM
Planar Protector

Keep it simple. If you're more aware of whats going on around camp just coach your wife along. This isn't a complicated game she'll have it down shortly.

Every time a mob(s) come into camp, cast a low level root and get it slowed out first and foremost. That way you aren't going to immediately rip aggro off the wife with a slow and she's chasing the mob around. If you don't have mana to do this continuously, something is wrong. You're either over-buffing, over-healing, over-pulling, or a combo of all 3.

Regen is the 2nd highest priority. Both you and the monk should never be at 100% hp when things are going well (once you hit 24 and get Canni this will become very clear). Its the 2nd most efficient "heal" (slow being #1 by far and why its important to root + slow mobs immediately on pull). Play the game like the LAST thing you want to do is toss a direct heal on the monk. Let the Iksar racial, your regen, mend, and slow do the heavy lifting.

Haste for the monk is 3rd. Re-haste only when the other two higher priorities are being met. This shouldn't be an issue.

STR is a distant 4th and even more distant followed by the HP/AC buffs. Consider anything with a yellow shield spell icon pure luxury and only if you're swimming in mana.

Side notes: have your wife save her mend if she's unsure on a tricky pull...rather than using it on cooldown. Once camp is broken and things are smooth you can help her keep an eye on mend cooldown and make sure she is below 70% so you can get more max mends per hour. I know that may seem a little spergy but the more HP throughput she can offer the more mana you're going to have (remember: the goal is to cast as few direct heal spells as possible).

Its good to let her learn the pulling mechanics early on. Keep in mind roamers remain on the aggro table for a long damn time...even after she's flopped and they're off roaming around again. Sometimes the easiest solution is to /q while FD'd and reset...but you shouldn't be anywhere where this is a major issue right now anyway.

Save up and buy your wife Silver Chitin Hand Wraps (22% haste) and an Imbued Fighters Staff. Aim to have this by low 30s level. She may not like the slow animation at first, but she will take significantly less damage due to fewer mob ripostes. This weapon will easily last her to 60. You take the rest of your cash for spells (you don't need all of them, just make sure you get your best slow and regen, the rest can be bought whenever you save up enough).

+55 HP rings, orc fang earrings, and a chipped velium amulet are nice bang-for-your-buck mend/str boosters too. Make sure you do all the looting and keep her under weight as well.

Some other monk gear ideas either for cheap for going to go farm them yourselves when level appropriate:
Syythrak Hide Vest
Drake-hide Sleeves
Shimmering Terror Hide Cloak
Silvery Mask
Monk Headband Quest
Gatorscale Legs
Black Panther Wrists
Last edited by Toxigen; 02-01-2023 at 10:08 AM..
Old 02-01-2023, 10:24 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Keep it simple. If you're more aware of whats going on around camp just coach your wife along. This isn't a complicated game she'll have it down shortly.

Every time a mob(s) come into camp, cast a low level root and get it slowed out first and foremost. That way you aren't going to immediately rip aggro off the wife with a slow and she's chasing the mob around. If you don't have mana to do this continuously, something is wrong. You're either over-buffing, over-healing, over-pulling, or a combo of all 3.

Regen is the 2nd highest priority. Both you and the monk should never be at 100% hp when things are going well (once you hit 24 and get Canni this will become very clear). Its the 2nd most efficient "heal" (slow being #1 by far and why its important to root + slow mobs immediately on pull). Play the game like the LAST thing you want to do is toss a direct heal on the monk. Let the Iksar racial, your regen, mend, and slow do the heavy lifting.

Haste for the monk is 3rd. Re-haste only when the other two higher priorities are being met. This shouldn't be an issue.

STR is a distant 4th and even more distant followed by the HP/AC buffs. Consider anything with a yellow shield spell icon pure luxury and only if you're swimming in mana.

Side notes: have your wife save her mend if she's unsure on a tricky pull...rather than using it on cooldown. Once camp is broken and things are smooth you can help her keep an eye on mend cooldown and make sure she is below 70% so you can get more max mends per hour. I know that may seem a little spergy but the more HP throughput she can offer the more mana you're going to have (remember: the goal is to cast as few direct heal spells as possible).

Its good to let her learn the pulling mechanics early on. Keep in mind roamers remain on the aggro table for a long damn time...even after she's flopped and they're off roaming around again. Sometimes the easiest solution is to /q while FD'd and reset...but you shouldn't be anywhere where this is a major issue right now anyway.

Save up and buy your wife Silver Chitin Hand Wraps (22% haste) and an Imbued Fighters Staff. Aim to have this by low 30s level. She may not like the slow animation at first, but she will take significantly less damage due to fewer mob ripostes. This weapon will easily last her to 60. You take the rest of your cash for spells (you don't need all of them, just make sure you get your best slow and regen, the rest can be bought whenever you save up enough).

+55 HP rings, orc fang earrings, and a chipped velium amulet are nice bang-for-your-buck mend/str boosters too. Make sure you do all the looting and keep her under weight as well.

Some other monk gear ideas either for cheap for going to go farm them yourselves when level appropriate:
Syythrak Hide Vest
Drake-hide Sleeves
Shimmering Terror Hide Cloak
Silvery Mask
Monk Headband Quest
Gatorscale Legs
Black Panther Wrists
Appreciate all the tips, copying your post to a bookmark - you've helped me in the past before with other chars. Always valuable. Although I do kind of wish you roasted me at least a little bit.

We're at 1.5k saved up now for the hands, and two answer another poster she's got two wu's trance sticks for keeping 1h/dual wield up but whenever that's maxed using 2h quivering staff. Didn't realize upgrading that 2h was super important but it will definitely be the next item we save for - and I am looting everything.

Based on your strat I think we may just be in a pad spot for these two levels but it will get better, lots of white/yellow mobs that force me to direct heal even with slows.

She really is getting the hang of the game. Kind of cool seeing her go from barely being able to turn the camera and falling into the canals to flying through Cab with me.

To the others, thank you for all of your help too. I let my wife pick a char she wanted to play (which happened to be a monk/puller), I honestly was hoping she would pick mage or cleric but I just want her to have fun. We're only getting in 1-2 hours a day so it's slow but good times. She is asking me to log in, not always the other way, so that tells me it is sticking.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:58 AM
Planar Protector

Literally the best thing you can do in EQ is pick the class you love and get good at it. This is a LONG grind of a game.

Lots of unconventional combos that work fine if people are good. Sham and monk is super solid. Pushing them into a class because “it’s better” doesn’t make sense if you want them to be happy.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefall [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
She really is getting the hang of the game. Kind of cool seeing her go from barely being able to turn the camera and falling into the canals to flying through Cab with me.

To the others, thank you for all of your help too. I let my wife pick a char she wanted to play (which happened to be a monk/puller), I honestly was hoping she would pick mage or cleric but I just want her to have fun. We're only getting in 1-2 hours a day so it's slow but good times. She is asking me to log in, not always the other way, so that tells me it is sticking.
thats all that matters, keep with it
Old 02-01-2023, 11:46 AM
Planar Protector

And the 2hb thing is going to "feel" bad to her. The slow animation really pains some folks.

Once you guys hit 30 and are at a nice broken camp...do a half hour with the 1 handers and a half hour with the 2 hander. Try to get a feel for how much damage shes taking. It should be pretty obvious the 2 hander is the way to go, and that will only get better when you have the IFS at 40 delay (and a much better ratio). People tend to focus on the negative side of the equation. There will be periods where her damage will dry up with a lot of missed swings...just convince her to look at those massive ripostes and how you're able to keep her going with far fewer direct heals.

In the end, if she is happier playing using 1 handers...it'll still be fine. I'm just a min/max nerd.

Focus on getting her those SCHW first, 22% worn haste is going to be the biggest upgrade possible right now. Try to stick to XP that also yields good money. Sure, you'll level slower, but having gear upgrades sooner is going to keep things far more rewarding for her. Women love buying things!

Oh one other thing: definitely plan to do / camp the pieces for the first monk robe: https://wiki.project1999.com/Robe_of_the_Lost_Circle

Raster is a classic-AF camp that you can get some good XP at. Targin should be XP-able as well. The sash and headband quests are simple, albeit long, but are a nice break from just grinding away...and she'll have some classic monk gear! (Just make sure she doesn't botch her turn-ins, thats the biggest EQ bummer possible.)
Last edited by Toxigen; 02-01-2023 at 12:00 PM..
Old 02-01-2023, 01:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
We're at 1.5k saved up now for the hands, and two answer another poster she's got two wu's trance sticks for keeping 1h/dual wield up but whenever that's maxed using 2h quivering staff. Didn't realize upgrading that 2h was super important but it will definitely be the next item we save for - and I am looting everything.
Looks like you have a chance of finding the hands a bit cheaper than that even; https://unixgeek.com/prices-P1999Gre...HandWraps.html. You can toss the plat on a mule in east commons and setup a watch with the bot on https://discord.gg/uVBGuCU4vW, then you can make offers while you level.

Quote:
Based on your strat I think we may just be in a pad spot for these two levels but it will get better, lots of white/yellow mobs that force me to direct heal even with slows.
That does make a big difference in resources required to kill the mobs. Not even just white vs blue, but how blue the mob is.

Sounds like a fun duo.
Last edited by Vivitron; 02-01-2023 at 01:48 PM..
Old 02-01-2023, 01:45 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah at this point in your 20s I wouldn't be going after anything white con. Its fine if you're twinked but things will flow so much easier sticking to blues. Even if you ding and that same mob that used to con blue is now green, its "green XP" and not bad staying for another level if a lot of the other mobs around are still blue. Especially so if you're making some decent coin while you're at it.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Planar Protector

Cast the fewest buffs you can get away with because if you try to keep everything up at low levels you'll go mad. At high levels stuff lasts longer and it's less of an issue but you have to get there first. You'll curse regeneration and haste when you first get them because they both have a very short duration to begin with.

You can downrank slows as appropriate for the damage you're taking.

Might not even bother rooting something; you can alternately stand and take a few hits while the monk peels it off. That saves the running around and hassle. As a shaman you'll want to make sure you level your defense skill anyway.

Long run, this is one of the high-capibility duos in EQ. Stick with it and you'll be rewarded.

Danth