Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 12:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea to me there’s two scenarios to a simulation

1. We are being controlled by some consciousness outside the simulation, in which case our decisions in the simulation would still have meaning

2. We are just AI robot programs within a simulation that can learn, which is pretty much the intelligent design of the Big Bang theory anyway, just a computer version. In which case if it wasn’t God creating us as a test for the afterlife, and instead some other higher intelligence making us like ants in an ant farm to observe, then to what end?

Any intelligence smart enough to create programmable AI robot programs in a simulation would already be smart enough to know the outcome, and what all our decision possibilities could be. So again, why would such an intelligence bother when the outcome is pre-determined, just skip to that
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-14-2023, 12:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While the double slit experiment and the delayed choice experiment may seem strange, they do not provide evidence that we live in a simulation. There are a lot of different interpretations of quantum mechanics and while none of them can be definitively proven
they do not require a simulation, they heavily suggest it's likelihood.

there is SO MUCH that i've left out because the post would be the length of a dissertation if i tried to explain it. i'm not callin you folks stupid when i say you wouldn't understand it, you probably would if you had gone that path in your education, but if you did, you wouldn't understand it. ugh i hope that makes sense.

the behaviors of sub-particles, quarks gluons muons leptons etc all really do behave as if they must adhere to the rules of a program ie the universe, which seems obvious at first because universe. then you have to ask why the universe has rules

double slit has always stood out to me because it is easy to understand and it's findings are really obvious, the electrons ARE changing states post-observation and this requires that they do so, from the past.

if electrons aren't required to adhere to the space-time continuum, you again have to ask what else doesn't fit the bill?

either that or we are observing physics that our ape brains can't comprehend yet.
Last edited by Trexller; 03-14-2023 at 12:33 AM..
Old 03-14-2023, 12:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basanos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This may annoy our friend aussie, but are you familiar with Roko's basilisk?

I don't even pretend to fully understand most of this simulation theory stuff, but that one is very entertaining to me.
Making some entity work a 9-5 job in a computer simulation is a pretty crappy version of “torture” for such a smart being to come up with IMO

But I do think some sort of torture motivation is due to the fact that the idea of simulation means to simulate something. But any intelligence great enough to program something as complicated as us would already be able to know all possible outcomes. So there would be no reason to “simulate” anything, the outcomes are already known

So torture then? Meh
Old 03-14-2023, 12:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But any intelligence great enough to program something as complicated as us would already be able to know all possible outcomes. So there would be no reason to “simulate” anything, the outcomes are already known
yeah we can't imagine what the entity would have to gain from simulating us, outside of our own benefit

and we've circled back to religion

god creates man to share the love he has

be good in this realm and you can go to a better one afterward

be bad in this realm, not so much.

it sounds like he knows that we're gonna turn out randomly, and he only wants to keep the ones that turn out "Right"
Old 03-14-2023, 12:28 AM
Banned

I don't really have a dog in the fight when it comes to whether or not reality is a simulation or not, as I'm not even sure I exist. However, one of the things that used to frighten me when I was a religious teenager was not the existence of God, but the idea that he could exist and could just be what we would call an asshole.

Someone on a Christian subreddit mentioned something that stuck out to me, and again, maybe because I'm relatively new to a lot of this shit and maybe this is Sunday School 101 stuff, but... they mentioned that we cannot possibly perceive the scale of our sin to a God.

What we see as a mere white lie, for example, could have drastic effects in the meta-reality that we don't know we are within.

Replace "God" with "benevolent or hostile AI" and you can probably see what is frightening about that.

Can't say I particularly care if some critter tortures a copy of me, though. Doesn't seem real enough to get out of the chair. In Iain Banks Culture novels, simulated people had, like, rights if I remember correctly.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basanos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't really have a dog in the fight when it comes to whether or not reality is a simulation or not, as I'm not even sure I exist. However, one of the things that used to frighten me when I was a religious teenager was not the existence of God, but the idea that he could exist and could just be what we would call an asshole.

Someone on a Christian subreddit mentioned something that stuck out to me, and again, maybe because I'm relatively new to a lot of this shit and maybe this is Sunday School 101 stuff, but... they mentioned that we cannot possibly perceive the scale of our sin to a God.

What we see as a mere white lie, for example, could have drastic effects in the meta-reality that we don't know we are within.

Replace "God" with "benevolent or hostile AI" and you can probably see what is frightening about that.

Can't say I particularly care if some critter tortures a copy of me, though. Doesn't seem real enough to get out of the chair. In Iain Banks Culture novels, simulated people had, like, rights if I remember correctly.
Well in regards to the original question of meaning, then if there is a God, then obv our choices have meaning in regards to the afterlife

If there is not a God, our choices still have meaning to those around us due to their ripple effect

And if there is not a God, and reality is just some fake computer program with a pre-determined outcome, then yea our choices have no meaning, but that seems like a pointless thing to program
Old 03-14-2023, 12:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well in regards to the original question of meaning, then if there is a God, then obv our choices have meaning in regards to the afterlife

If there is not a God, our choices still have meaning to those around us due to their ripple effect

And if there is not a God, and reality is just some fake computer program with a pre-determined outcome, then yea our choices have no meaning, but that seems like a pointless thing to program
Old 03-14-2023, 12:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I love how atheists think they're so smart for being like

"we should kill people that need god to stop killing people"
Old 03-14-2023, 12:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobaber [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love how athiests think theyre so smart for being like

"we should kill people that need god to stop killing people"
genuinely asking... is there an example of this in history?

iirc its always the other way around, believers have to kill or convert non-believers because reasons
Old 03-14-2023, 12:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
This may annoy our friend aussie, but are you familiar with Roko's basilisk?
The weasel is the enemy of the basilisk and is the only animal that can kill one.
Closed Thread