Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 03-31-2023, 12:44 PM
Orc

My suggestion was meant more as a.... "Hey, try these characters that'll make it easier to learn game mechanics in depth. Once, comfortable move to a harder class." If you enjoy playing your monk, go for it. If not, try out some of the suggestions. Druid/Nec are pretty solid starter classes. Monk is kind of bland at early levels. The others give more variety outside of a smack and med playstyle. Which can get REALLY boring for new players (especially those not accustomed to the overall "slowness" of EQ). Nec/Druid offer variety fairly early on to help negate this.

Lamp is forgetting that you came to the forums for advice. The "play whatever makes you happy shoe" doesn't fit all feet. Some actually want to know a strat that may make their time here more enjoyable/easier.

If you're stuck on monk, stick to Lamp's opinion. If not, there is a reason multiple people are saying to role a druid/nec.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:09 PM
Planar Protector

Not to scare you away or anything, but I've been playing for 24 years and I am still learning how to do various things.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:19 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampolo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You don't want to be a hybrid
Ranger is tough, but Pal/SK are viable now that the XP malus is gone.

Paladins are fun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-31-2023, 01:23 PM
Planar Protector

Ogre Shadow Knight is about as easy as it comes starting off. Put all points into str and go kill lizards in the Ferrott. Level 1 just stick to close to 6 on the map so you can sell easily and quickly until you can afford to buy a backpack. Save all the lizard meat and turn 4 of them into Soonog at the shadow knight guild by ctrl + left clicking meat and clicking on soonog, then repeat and put in each of the 4 available trade slots, then click trade. Also, be sure to train once in sense heading at your trainer. Keep clicking on it. Or you can also put it on your hotbar and bind hotbar keys to what you use for movement.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:56 PM
Fire Giant

OP, as everyone got off rail and only suggesting different classes. To your actual post. If you want someone to help teach you game hmu. I can even lvl some alts in off time to help you. I generally play 7-11pm est. Feel free to DM me ur discord.
Mama Vinelsier Lepermesiah Server 1st 60 Grave Lord(And only The Grave Lord)//Resilak 50 Monk//Tenchi Masaki 50 Wizard//Jaskieer 48 Bard// Heeheehee Teeheehee 57 Mage// Belll Cranel 50 Monkdrackgon 54 rogue, Cuddlezzz 60 shaman
RIP<Gathered Might>
Old 03-31-2023, 05:29 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd be willing to do this. I could hop into a voice chat and watch your stream and give ya some general tips / guidelines.Toxigen#1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by drackgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
OP, as everyone got off rail and only suggesting different classes. To your actual post. If you want someone to help teach you game hmu. I can even lvl some alts in off time to help you. I generally play 7-11pm est. Feel free to DM me ur discord.
Wow, thank you for all the feedback and offers. I didn't even notice this thread blew up, after checking for 2 days to see if it was approved I gave up lol. As far as am I stuck on Monk, not at all. I went in completely blind and chose Monk simply because its one of my favorite classes in various games.

I found this game by watching Elehefe's stream and I asked him/his wife what they thought was the easiest starting class. They told me that a Halfling Druid was the way to go. So I made one and I am currently level 3. I have not gotten as much time as I would like to play but I plan on putting more time in when I have time.
Old 04-01-2023, 05:39 AM
Kobold

Welcome
Old 04-01-2023, 08:39 PM
Planar Protector

Best thing you can do with EQ is adjust your expectations, not reroll a class. I mained a rogue in 1999 and they solo horribly. If you like what you picked, you will likely persevere.

In general target something. Hit the “c” key to “consider” it. If it’s blue, you can probably kill it without issue. Later in the levels a blue con is a serious threat but don’t worry for now.

Monks are great. Keep the faith and keep plunking. Find some friends and go on an adventure [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-02-2023, 11:42 AM
Planar Protector

Iksar Monk is a really great class. Maybe not the best for your very 1st toon, but it’s not bad either.

The issue with monks, or any pure melee class for that matter, is that they don’t have the best solo capabilities, and they are even more restricted when they don’t have the best gear.

I’ve been soloing my 47 monk lately, and while it’s not terrible, it’s not great. For example, soloing specters in feerrott, even though they are several levels below me, still only allows me to kill 1 every 5 minutes or so. Contrast that with my necro, where he was basically downing specters as fast as he could get to them.

Classic EQ, while amazing and full of depth is not well balanced with respect to classes. Certain classes are just bad, others are only good if you have amazing gear, and some like necro and enchanters are just ridiculously easy to play and level without any gear at all. I played a barbarian warrior back in 1999 and made it to level 46 by the time velious was released. I quit shortly thereafter and came back here several years ago to give it another shot. This time I started with a necro because I remember seeing them in oasis of mart soloing spectres and that wasn’t something I could even dream of doing on my warrior at 46. The difference between necro and warrior is unimaginable. It’s actually a completely different game/experience with how much I was able to see and do as a necro vs warrior.

TL[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]R. Monks a fine first class but necro would probably be a little easier for you as a first character
Old 04-02-2023, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxentar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow, thank you for all the feedback and offers. I didn't even notice this thread blew up, after checking for 2 days to see if it was approved I gave up lol. As far as am I stuck on Monk, not at all. I went in completely blind and chose Monk simply because its one of my favorite classes in various games.

I found this game by watching Elehefe's stream and I asked him/his wife what they thought was the easiest starting class. They told me that a Halfling Druid was the way to go. So I made one and I am currently level 3. I have not gotten as much time as I would like to play but I plan on putting more time in when I have time.
Hit me up if you feel like you could benefit from some coaching. Be more than happy to watch a stream on discord and help you out for a bit here and there.