Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 06:18 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A 129 page thread in RnF full of forum and server drama, trolling, and nonsensical debate that never goes anywhere?

Mmm...yeah...
Considering the thread started over the same topic, probably wind up in the same subsection. Point was to glean the nontroll comments out of there if you were interested in others thoughts.

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:50 PM
Planar Protector

I'm playing on agnarr right now, and it's been fantastic! The differences between Agnarr and Project 1999 have been minimal in my opinion. I'm a big fan of classic Everquest and I can tell you most of the anti agnarr crowd is being over dramatic with how awful it is.

Here are the core differences that I think people will notice transitioning from Project 1999 to Agnarr.

UI
The UI really doesn't change much. It's comfortable and easy to navigate. No real big changes. You do have maps for (most) zones, but I'd highly advice you download Brewell Eq map pack for detailed maps included for every zone. Another new feature is the find key. It allows you to create a personal glowing path to destinations in a zone such as bankers,npcs, and zone lines.
Auto loot window replaces right clicking all corpses. Its weird at first but eventually you realize how useful and helpful it is.There is a cash shop button that allows you to buy cosmetic cover ups for weapons and armor as well as various utility potions and a WR backpack.

Game World/Terrain
Some of the zones have been overhauled into "updated" graphics. These include a destruction of the Freeport p99ers know and love to a horrible ugly maze. They also combined ec and wc into one huge zone called commonlands (which actually isn't bad. I don't mind the change) and they also vexed oasis of marr and just combined it with South Ro. Again, with "updated" graphics. There is also what they call "picks " in all zones now that basically means when a zone gets over a certain population it will create a instanced zone called "Lower Guk 02" for example, and then ppl can switch between the different "picks" or "instances" every 5 min. This actually does help incredibly with finding places to hunt. Because agnarr is so popular right now we might have 14 or 15 instances of just lower guk going on with 25-50 ppl in each pick. Can you imagine all those ppl in 1 zone? I was worried this would break my immersion lvls but so far it's been far less of a distraction or focus of mine then i had initially thought it would be. It does bring more high end items into the economy which can be seen as problematic but really it just drives the price down on things allowing new players access to better gear quicker. There are also items called Krono in the game that players can buy through the cash shop that is a gem that when eaten will give you 30 days playtime. Ppl can trade these to each other so it is a weird stock like addition to the economy and personally my only compliant about agnarr.

Community
There are a ton of ppl on agnarr! The biggest difference I've noticed is the variation of players on agnarr compared to p99. P99 feels like two types or players, elitists and casuals. But everyone on p99 for the most part is pretty pro at eq. We're the die hard that sought this emulator all these years later I mean I guess it's to be expected. On agnarr though you have elitists, casuals, newbs, explorers, ECT. The skills of each person you group with varies DRAMTICALLY! It's made me realize how much I took for granted exping on p99. It's super rare to find a poor enough player on p99 for me to recognize it as a problem for the group. On agnarr, Its 50/50 I find good players. Even though it's had its fair share or annoyance having to deal with It, its felt more like authentic eq because of it. I've actually really bonded with people as I teach them how to pull areas, or simple tricks about their class. It's actually woken up a real sense of community in agnarr that's more reminiscent of the good old 1999-2002 days on live. You have such a colorful cast of different players all working together from the beginning again. A sense of wonder and excitement is in the air of Norrath once again!

Conclusion

I think If you are any type of fan of Everquest you can have a great time experiencing Norrath again on agnarr. I'm excited to try luclin and pop at my own pace since the servers locked in that pop era. I have p99 for when I want to relive the kunark velious locked era, and agnarr for luclin /pop. It's great! If anyone wants to try agnarr pm me and I can get you into a sweet hardcore casual raid guild and established! <3 besides launch, there hasn't been a more perfect time to get on the Agnarr train! Come relive the glory days!

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Last edited by Evia; 07-04-2017 at 07:02 PM..
Old 07-04-2017, 07:22 PM
Planar Protector

The best thing on Agnarr? Wizards get critical hits with nukes.

The worst thing on Agnarr? All the unnecessary updates added to "improve" many of the old classic zones destroying any semblance of the old artwork that was created by the original game devs. It's truly an abomination.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:05 PM
Sarnak

It's way easier, but I'm OOK atm. See yawl soon

Friends currently on EverQuest:
---------------------------------
There are no players in EverQuest that match those who filters.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:05 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Conclusion

I think If you are any type of fan of Everquest you can have a great time experiencing Norrath again on agnarr. I'm excited to try luclin and pop at my own pace since the servers locked in that pop era. I have p99 for when I want to relive the kunark velious locked era, and agnarr for luclin /pop. It's great! If anyone wants to try agnarr pm me and I can get you into a sweet hardcore casual raid guild and established! <3 besides launch, there hasn't been a more perfect time to get on the Agnarr train! Come relive the glory days!
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm going to work for a few hours and then jump in. If you're around when I get in, i'll shoot you a tell.

I've never played a TLP server so it should be fun to roll through the xpacs as they come out. I originally started EQ back just a few weeks prior to Kunarks release, because I saw an advertisement for the imminent drop of Kunark on a blockbuster movie haha

Any recommendations on first class to start with? I'm no a minmax type, but I want solo-ability that is also desired in groups, that will allow me to build some wealth. Lookin like Enc, Nec, or Dru probably leaning heavily towards Enchanter.

Asher
Old 07-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevGrousis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any recommendations on first class to start with? I'm no a minmax type, but I want solo-ability that is also desired in groups, that will allow me to build some wealth. Lookin like Enc, Nec, or Dru probably leaning heavily towards Enchanter.
Druid's stronger than on p99 because we've got some DoT stacking going on (plus the DoTs have some beefed up damage, along with our nukes and heals). We also get our own version of the wizard translocate spells (zephyr line) so they're the #1 port choice hands down unless you're trying to get to the planes. There are no PoK books yet.

DoT stacking means stuff from our various lines stack with each other, ie Stinging Swarm and Creeping Crud will stack. Also, all casters get 2-3 spells every level and they're much cheaper.

Enchanters I am not sure about. I think they may be about the same as on p99, aka OP as hell, but they're harder to play so there are fewer around than druids.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 07-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Banned

The main situation on a live era-locked TLP is that the server population is going to crash hard, and crash quickly. Instancing may seem like its great, but it really doesn't fit a game like EQ. Scarcity of resources (loot) is what helps build the economy and keeps people coming back. Agnarr is probably already into the phase where nothing sells because everyone is in 100% no drop dragon/planes gear.

I will probably roll a Beastlord when Luclin launches... and it will probably be fun, but I cant imagine this server lasting very long after it hits PoP. Then again, who cares? it will probably be a fun ride until it becomes a ghost town over night.

Daybreaks idea of making Agnarr a P99 alternative was a great idea, but they need to ditch the instancing. If anything make it so that you can get a "instancing coin" as a rare drop or a quest, but allowing free instancing will be the servers down fall.
Last edited by Spyder73; 07-05-2017 at 02:31 PM..
Old 07-05-2017, 02:37 PM
Kobold

I tried it.

I didn't like the RMT capabilities built in, some have said they are minimal but the idea that real money can buy you extra EXP (potions) or other items just doesn't work for me. Investing time to get benefits, not cash.

It has a million weird features, a lot of hand holding related stuff. I didn't feel like I was in the EQ I enjoy.

That said the concept is really cool and if they would strip down the UI/features a little / strip the easy mode features a little / and completely remove spending converted cash into in game weird currency I would have stuck with it. I would have lived inside that place, instead I live inside P1999.

On that note, thank you very much to the P1999 hosts. Six to seven years and still loving the fun here.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevGrousis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm going to work for a few hours and then jump in. If you're around when I get in, i'll shoot you a tell.

I've never played a TLP server so it should be fun to roll through the xpacs as they come out. I originally started EQ back just a few weeks prior to Kunarks release, because I saw an advertisement for the imminent drop of Kunark on a blockbuster movie haha

Enchanter is like a free ride to 50. You'll have ppl constantly asking you to join groups. Necro and druid are great options as well though.

Hmu in game when you arrive. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 07-05-2017, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The main situation on a live era-locked TLP is that the server population is going to crash hard, and crash quickly. Instancing may seem like its great, but it really doesn't fit a game like EQ. Scarcity of resources (loot) is what helps build the economy and keeps people coming back. Agnarr is probably already into the phase where nothing sells because everyone is in 100% no drop dragon/planes gear.

I will probably roll a Beastlord when Luclin launches... and it will probably be fun, but I cant imagine this server lasting very long after it hits PoP. Then again, who cares? it will probably be a fun ride until it becomes a ghost town over night.

Daybreaks idea of making Agnarr a P99 alternative was a great idea, but they need to ditch the instancing. If anything make it so that you can get a "instancing coin" as a rare drop or a quest, but allowing free instancing will be the servers down fall.
I hope there's enough sickos who are ready to keep starting from scratch and playing the same fucking game over and over and over into their adult lives to keep DBG up and running.

Very stern cringe.
Closed Thread