Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 08-01-2023, 10:33 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://www.allakabor.com/eqatlas/atlas.html is going to be your best friend for navigation. Also, train a couple points in Sense Heading, put it on your hotbar, and add a keybinding for the same key as one of your navigation keys, like 'a'. That will let it level up as you move about as well as give you constant feedback as to what direction you're heading. What are your character names, and are you on Blue or Green?
In regard to where I'm at: I'm on Green, and both my Dwarf Cleric [Breidr] and Gnome Mage [Pedwidge] have not left their starting locations. I turned in the note on Briedr, but that's about it. I'm still trying to get the hang of this NPC thing before I venture further.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This is what I've been trying, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I guess I should look up what "valid destination" means. I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere.

Despite all this, still super excited to dive in.
Old 08-02-2023, 05:30 AM
Planar Protector

I can't read the text in the window....what does it say? What are you trying to do?
Old 08-02-2023, 09:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breidr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the help, guys! I went and made two characters today. I have a Gnome Mage and a Dwarf Cleric. We will see how to goes from here.

Navigation is currently what I'm struggling with the most. Also trying to learn how to correctly interact with NPCs. I can't seem to "talk" to the gnome guides past the initial hail. Good News is, I just stumbled onto my guild NPC on my dwarf.
Bind sense heading to your move forward key. Every time you move, you'll try to sense the direction you're facing.

Eventually the skill will level up that you'll be able to reliably hit it 1-2 times and it will tell you.

Use the wiki: https://wiki.project1999.com/

Each zone can be searched for and has a map. There's also approximate coordinates as well, which will be displayed in game using /loc.

I can't imagine not using the wiki. Its an utter godsend for less experienced P99 players.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:59 AM
Kobold

beyond your guildmaster / skilling, buying/selling, a few neat lowbie quests,and some end-game quests, NPCs are largely ignorable in this game and aren't programmed to be super helpful or interesting. you mostly just kill stuff.

there *are* some pretty cool equipment quests you can do on your dwarven cleric, i think. i just gotta echo everyone else advising you to use the wiki and cap sense heading ASAP.
Old 08-02-2023, 11:50 AM
Planar Protector

The most important reason for handing in that guild note at that start isn't because it's a quest thats tracked (none are in this game) or the item you get (worthless for all non iksar immeadately and for iksar very soon) but the faction hits you get are usually pretty good. Otherwise, don't stress it. Any npc who trains you up is just as good as any other that's designated as a class trainer, so just explore the world and become a killer like the rest of us.
Old 08-02-2023, 04:01 PM
Sarnak

Be a wizard. Nothing is lower APM. Pick a target > cast strongest damage spell > if target not dead, run away to max range and cast spell again. Then sit and regain mana for many minutes. Can do the same with a druid, and the running away part becomes easier with Spirit of Wolf. Both of these classes get teleport spells so you can more easily access different parts of the world, once you outgrow your current location
Old 08-02-2023, 04:15 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can't read the text in the window....what does it say? What are you trying to do?
It tells me to ask 'where' and state a valid destination. I've tried every variation I can think of along the lines of 'where [is] the Library Mechanimagica'
Old 08-02-2023, 06:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breidr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It tells me to ask 'where' and state a valid destination. I've tried every variation I can think of along the lines of 'where [is] the Library Mechanimagica'
I am not familiar with this feature in this game. Never heard of it.
Old 08-02-2023, 07:46 PM
Sarnak

Breidr, have you read the newbie guide on the wiki? https://wiki.project1999.com/Newbie_Guide

That's a good place to start, you can also search for p99 beginner tips or whatever on youtube.
Old 08-03-2023, 10:58 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Are those the clockwork guides? I think they might turn in the direction if you say a destination.