Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Newsflash, getting a job in Law is much like getting a job in ANY field nowadays, the people who know people will always fare better than the people who don't. /thread
going to have to disagree as a software engineer i feel like a 1st round draft pick in the nfl with the amount of offers i got coming out of school

plus i got a damn signing bonus, shit was classic
Old 06-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Planar Protector

sorry for the tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGuyAmes
Those numbers are slightly inflated because they count total bar exams passed in New York State (your able to practice in 3-4 other states with your N.Y Bar License) so not everyone actually ends up working here.
i encourage you to read the article i linked

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New York Times
Every state in the U.S. but Wisconsin and Nebraska (plus Washington, D.C.) is producing many more lawyers than it needs.

In fact, across the country, there were twice as many people who passed the bar in 2009 (53,508) as there were openings (26,239).

A separate estimate for the number of lawyers produced in 2009 also showed a surplus (44,159 new law grads compared with 26,239 openings).
tl;dr = it doesnt matter, every state in the entire U.S. is vastly overproducing lawyers by atrocious margins

good career prospects are all about growth in openings and deficits in people certified to perform that job

some states are worse than others, and you happen to live in the particular worst state in the U.S. as far as surplus lawyers, but it's ugly anywhere you go

Quote:
My degree is a dual pre-law/paralegal studies so that I will be able to get a job working at a corporate law firm that requires you have a bachelors degree (which most paraglegals don't). It's a great thing to fall back on because just a quick search of mean paralegal salary in NYC shows that its a great career to start in.
okay but we are talking about working as an attorney here. if you don't want to work in a job that requires a JD, then don't get one. if you could do that job without a JD, then do that. you'd be much better off for it, and potentially owe $100,000s less in loans (assuming you are taking loans)

Quote:
P.S I'm genuinely curious as to what your profession is Stinkum?
on a whim i took the LSAT a few years ago without 1 minute of studying and did fairly decent (165), so i thought i might have a knack for law and considered law school briefly

after doing the necessary preliminary research of job prospects and talking to recent law school grads, i quickly decided fuck that shit
Old 06-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Banned

After seeing the direction this thread has taken, I don't want another word from the bluebies complaining about reds coming over to their section
Old 06-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Planar Protector

Should've hired me, 165 pretty meh could've got you in the mid 170's bro
Old 06-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloinz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
going to have to disagree as a software engineer i feel like a 1st round draft pick in the nfl with the amount of offers i got coming out of school

plus i got a damn signing bonus, shit was classic
Signing bonus.cus they want no excuses for do it urself bowl cuts
Old 06-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
After seeing the direction this thread has taken, I don't want another word from the bluebies complaining about reds coming over to their section
It's on topic cause law school is academic PVP.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieza_Prexus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
havent' laughed that hard from forums in a long long time
Old 06-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieza_Prexus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I bet I could give more real life law experience and consultations to someone than HB can with his university degree.

Focused taxes? Lol get an accounting related degree its broader.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hawkins already made philosophy obsolete sry
Closed Thread