Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 07-25-2023, 12:03 AM
Banned

Default I hate with a capital H using shaman/necro/sk mobs as pets

I love fighting against casters (wandering mind + ToT), but I haaattttee having to use them as pets. It’s bad enough I have to interrupt every single enemy mob cast to prevent them from dotting my charmed pet, making it to where I can’t mez it on a charm break

But I cannot at all prevent my pet from dotting up the target it’s killing. And root just doesn’t cut the mustard as control for charm breaks. Because this means that one OR BOTH of the mobs can now free cast on me. I’m having to focus my attention on re-gaining control of my previous charmed pet, which is now casting at me. I cannot interrupt the other rooted mob also casting on me

And one single disease and poison dot from a blue con enemy shaman and I’m basically dead. No way to absorb those with runes…

I can’t easily micro in a cancel magic to remove dots from the enemy mob on a charm break, there’s too much other stuff to do. But I’m considering it, because it’s either that or just trying to out-range the casts. But the game loves to give enemy mobs extra cushion, if I’m close enough to land root on it, it will for sure be able to stick at least 1 spell on me before I outrange it

I will go way out of my way to locate a warrior or wizard mob to charm, but sometimes it’s just unavoidable, you have to pick the annoying as shit dotting classes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-25-2023, 12:08 AM
Banned

^
They were also clever in making pets ignore all player commands when they start casting a spell. Otherwise I would easily tell it to /back off, or make it take a step some other way to cancel every dot cast, leaving just its nukes and slows

But nope, as soon as the charmed pet begins casting a spell, it doesn’t give a shit about what I’m telling it to do or what’s happening to it. It will stand there with 3 enemy mobs wailing it in the face and die because it was mid-cast and ignored all commands to fall back

Edit: in the interest of time and carnage I am often hasting and giving a torch to charmed pets. So breaks are especially dangerous already
Last edited by unsunghero; 07-25-2023 at 12:16 AM..
Old 07-25-2023, 12:17 AM
Banned

Also, remember mez isn’t just mez if you care about your pet or enemy mob’s heath totals

Mez is really mez gcd-reset-tash, or there’s a decent chance it’ll blur and start chunking that health up

This is just a vent, I know chanters are still OP
Old 07-25-2023, 12:20 AM
Planar Protector

Consider grouping.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 07-25-2023, 12:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Consider grouping.
Maybe one day

Oh and on the subject of disappointing pets, I thought a charmed SK mob pet was the coolest because you get to watch it harm touch something, and I figured if any pet is going to be able to go the distance, it’s an sk with that lifetap proc

But that shit breaks root left and right, makes it not really as worth it. With a caster pet when it winds up a big nuke and I often queue up a root to land right after it, especially if I needed to refresh root

But lifetap procs are random. It’s like “oh root just broke instantly after I rooted, hey and charm did too! Uh oh”

That’s another vent about the most OP class in the game [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-25-2023, 03:27 AM
Sarnak

Casters are an extra challenge, but '/pet sit' will at least interrupt your pet. Sometimes when I'm charming a caster I'll edit my pet kill hotkey to include a pet sit on the first line then spam it during the fight. You'll have to manually click the hotkey in your socials page to use it while you are casting, though, and it messes up your pet's guard behavior.
Old 07-25-2023, 03:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivitron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Casters are an extra challenge, but '/pet sit' will at least interrupt your pet. Sometimes when I'm charming a caster I'll edit my pet kill hotkey to include a pet sit on the first line then spam it during the fight. You'll have to manually click the hotkey in your socials page to use it while you are casting, though, and it messes up your pet's guard behavior.
Oh no way!

I use /pet sit all the time because I really do feel like they take extra damage when sitting, so I spam it every time I need the pet to die faster

I can’t believe it will interrupt casts! Never tried it for this before, this can save some serious stress if so
Old 07-25-2023, 08:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh no way!

I use /pet sit all the time because I really do feel like they take extra damage when sitting, so I spam it every time I need the pet to die faster

I can’t believe it will interrupt casts! Never tried it for this before, this can save some serious stress if so
/pet sit is a godsent when dealing with caster pets, extra level of control to make them stop spamming dispell or nukes and dots.
Old 07-25-2023, 05:26 PM
Kobold

Not sure what level you are but color slant + gcd reset + allure will work to recharm dotted pets that break. Same with Boltrans, except boltrans is faster than allure so you can get away with shorter stuns.

They are extra work and extra danger, though. No way around that really.
@EndorraFeyborne Discord
Old 07-25-2023, 10:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
/pet sit is a godsent when dealing with caster pets, extra level of control to make them stop spamming dispell or nukes and dots.
Thus far it's worked great to prevent charmed pets from dotting or dispelling the target

However, minor hiccup

If I am using, say, a shaman charmed pet to kill a shaman mob, then the /pet sit trick is a bit limited. Because the enemy shaman will be constantly trying to cast on my pet, which I deal with either by spamming mez to interrupt or by stunning

In fact, this is just something I've noticed, but if you haste and give a torch to a lev 45+ charmed pet, it will hit so fast, that all you have to do is cast mez over and over as soon as you can at the target, and it will not be able to get a single spell off before it dies. No stuns needed

The problem is that if I am mid-cast of mez or stun, the /pet sit command I don't think works. I don't think I can cast and issue a pet command at the exact same time, although only tested for like 30 mins before having to log off here. So I don't think I can interrupt both the enemy mob and my pet's casts at the same exact time
Last edited by unsunghero; 07-25-2023 at 11:07 PM..