Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 06-10-2023, 06:41 AM
Planar Protector

Sk can pbaoe.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 06-10-2023, 07:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I have a question I was hoping to have answered. I don't mean to defile OP's post with a change of topic, but the information and discussion in this thread seem quite good.
I am returning to p99 after quite the break (never raided). The only two classes I am considering are SK or Pally - I am almost exclusively a solo player - I may get into casual raiding to finish epics etc but nothing super hardcore.
Not targeting specific solo artist kills but what class do you think solo crawls dungeons better (including some lesser names), think Seb, HS, Chardok etc.
If you really want to solo on this server fresh and this late in the game and you have no intention of getting solid gear then don't choose sk or paladin
Old 06-10-2023, 07:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you really want to solo on this server fresh and this late in the game and you have no intention of getting solid gear then don't choose sk or paladin
I'm doing a character using only items that are purchasable from vendors' default inventories.

I chose Shadow Knight for this gimmick.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 06-10-2023, 09:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I solo'd eejag on my paladin for a monk alt and it only took loh but my gear is pretty good. I havnt solo'd chardok but I've solo'd all of crypt including the emp and just running between hiero and duke spawn is trivial and decent depending on cloak/bracer rng. I've also solo crawled to the various frog camps for fun but it's not worth it from a farming/pp perspective. Chardok names would be pretty trivial to kill as a paladin but keeping up faction would be a hassle I imagine. Struggling to think of much else that is cool, I solo'd reavers and killed the shm epic mob in com for the sk in shield but again fairly trivial and no real pp in it. Never tried a cliff golem but I imagine a soulfire would make it trivial as well.
I missed this, thanks Pint.

Admittedly my pally isn’t BiS but I haven’t tried much solo crawling. Most of my past assumptions were CC wouldn’t keep up with the damage for most of these spawns compared to Drain Soul. Outside a few instances it’s cool a Pally can still kill this stuff (and I’m glad to be wrong).

I might have to pick up a Dawn spear for Seb…
Old 06-10-2023, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgKnight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yep, no trivial amount but that's almost only valid out of raid, and in single group, when your healing is limited the extra healing might worth it, when not, SK clearly are better for pug...
Again, I am not sure why you are bringing up raid DPS for a class that is not a raid DPS class, and is often swapped to another class. It is like saying Mage DPS is bad because Mages don't use their pets in raids.

Both Paladins and Shadowknights are great in groups. OP is asking about DPS, and Shadowknights deal more DPS.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 06-10-2023 at 11:30 AM..
Old 06-10-2023, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I missed this, thanks Pint.

Admittedly my pally isn’t BiS but I haven’t tried much solo crawling. Most of my past assumptions were CC wouldn’t keep up with the damage for most of these spawns compared to Drain Soul. Outside a few instances it’s cool a Pally can still kill this stuff (and I’m glad to be wrong).

I might have to pick up a Dawn spear for Seb…
It's all about high ac when you go back to kunark to fight that stuff, they do surprisingly little DPS. I have the one hander for that proc and it's cool but often times annoying to wait on. The must haves are a tash stick and anklesmasher.
Old 06-21-2023, 10:45 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
I solo'd eejag on my paladin for a monk alt and it only took loh but my gear is pretty good. I havnt solo'd chardok but I've solo'd all of crypt including the emp and just running between hiero and duke spawn is trivial and decent depending on cloak/bracer rng. I've also solo crawled to the various frog camps for fun but it's not worth it from a farming/pp perspective. Chardok names would be pretty trivial to kill as a paladin but keeping up faction would be a hassle I imagine. Struggling to think of much else that is cool, I solo'd reavers and killed the shm epic mob in com for the sk in shield but again fairly trivial and no real pp in it. Never tried a cliff golem but I imagine a soulfire would make it trivial as well.
It's been forever since I've played my Sexknight but I solo'd many of the Chardok named mobs with ease.

One of my favorite things about the SK was the ability to faction quickly. I'd get my chardok or giant or whatever faction up super fast by grabbing 25 mobs and face tanking them while doing PBAOE spells to down them quickly.

I never really thought of using the knight as DPS really though. My SK was for creating big ass trains, doing some cool pulls, tanking every now and then. Laying down an FD right as the dragon died so I wouldn't lose faction.
Old 08-01-2023, 12:12 AM
Sarnak

cause they do.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:55 AM
Fire Giant

Knights are more useful on raids now than they have ever been while I have been playing here. VP, Vox, anything that doesn't flurry in tov. Knights are just better at handling mobs with that much dps on it.
Old 08-03-2023, 08:12 AM
Sarnak

People act like its hard to solo in this game as any class. Its laughable. Sure, do you have to play smart, shoot for camps or wander spawns that roam, and whatnot? Sure.

Ive leveled 2 different sks now using ssf and one buying merch from ec and its not hard. Especially when you snag ez stat heavy gear like crusty, and haste and weapons that are now dirt cheap.

As for ssf, banded goes a long damn way, and is a great intro before you upgrade to bronze or steel or whatnot ( which you dont have to now that we have access to tons of ez camps that drop stat gear or quests ).

Sk is a fine starter choice to level as. Just cause these clowns arent hitting bard levels of solo speed thinking its bad just means they lack any real kimchi status in leveling your char. Pay no heed to these milquetoast nances who claim theyre everquest players.

And no, its not more efficient to level a whole damn nother class to gear out the one you wanna start playing.

Just play the one you want, and pickup groups, and farm plat camps on the way and youll have reached your goal faster than going about it the round about way.

Grinding on a slower, but preferred class will always be the better option than playing one you only tolerate because it makes cash. Thats how you get burnt out.

These bozos wont admit this is a marathon not a sprint. They probably never played a grind mmo in their lives outside of their friends pling them to max.

Ill go level a damn ssf iksar warrior right now to prove the point. People already doing it on Dark elves and Gnomes.

Last edited by ya.dingus; 08-03-2023 at 08:19 AM..