Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 09-06-2023, 04:54 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hmm I was gonna go prot paladin with a little into ret. Now I'm kinda second guessing it if I'm a weaker tank than even druids.
Paladins are just fine on the way to max level in classic and can tank all dungeons. I have leveled multiples of them over the years and was raiding in Naxx as one for a bit before moving him to the BC realms. Just dont expect to raid tank as warriors are pretty much THE tanks for raiding in classic.
Ruilden Wreckchords | Level 30 Half Elf Bard of No God |Green|
Maulgar | Level 24 Troll Shadow Knight of Cazic-Thule |Green|
Old 09-06-2023, 04:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomnia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paladins are just fine on the way to max level in classic and can tank all dungeons. I have leveled multiples of them over the years and was raiding in Naxx as one for a bit before moving him to the BC realms. Just dont expect to raid tank as warriors are pretty much THE tanks for raiding in classic.

So basically like a paladin in EQ? I can probably deal with that. I don't really like raiding anyway...this will likely just be a duo leveling experience. If I do end up raiding, having a reduced role doesn't sound too bad.

Tbh the Heal focused holy paladin sounds interesting. I just don't imagine that'd be the best paladin build to pair with a mage.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 09-06-2023, 05:00 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So basically like a paladin in EQ?
Yes pretty much, great group utilities, great aggro, strong solo. Just not on par in terms of tanking as warriors. I personally switched to Holy at end game, theyre very very good single target healers and are much more sought after than a ret spec.

Quote:
Tbh the Heal focused holy paladin sounds interesting. I just don't imagine that'd be the best paladin build to pair with a mage.
As you level, do not switch to Holy, you can heal just fine in regular pve leveling as prot or ret (not dungeons obviously). Since a Mage/Pally combo shouldnt be taking all too much damage if you keep the pulls to what you know you can handle.
Ruilden Wreckchords | Level 30 Half Elf Bard of No God |Green|
Maulgar | Level 24 Troll Shadow Knight of Cazic-Thule |Green|
Last edited by Insomnia; 09-06-2023 at 05:02 PM..
Old 09-06-2023, 11:07 PM
Planar Protector

ok we decided on a pair of gnomes. Rogue/Mage! final answer! lol
Jomeo and Ruliet on Skull Rock server. We didnt start leveling yet we just made our characters and we're gonna start the journey tomorrow.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 09-06-2023, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Jomeo and Ruliet on Skull Rock server. We didnt start leveling yet we just made our characters and we're gonna start the journey tomorrow.
Rogue is ranked high A to S tier in most hardcore vid breakdowns I see

Absolute blast to play, lotta escapes, still great in endgame, basically no negatives

Also a very good dueler for a high skilled player but I dunno, can you duel if it’s not to the death? I think you can, but it leaves you at like almost no hp so pretty vulnerable on a HC server

My first char in vanilla was rogue, got 60, got super into pvp (not as much as later on hunter), loved every min of it. Dream weapon would be a krol blade which is bind on equip so tradeable, but will prolly be one of the most expensive items in existence on the AH early on

If you wanna go backstab spec (sorry it’s been a long time), great weap is the barman shanker from BRD. Huge backstabs with it, and it’s a broken bottle so you look like you are coming from a bar fight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by unsunghero; 09-06-2023 at 11:23 PM..
Old 09-06-2023, 11:25 PM
Banned

I believe the ideal rogue spec for leveling hardcore is combat

Edit: also, don’t forget about escape artist racial. Keep it hot-keyed and easily reachable. Very handy root/snare break that most classes don’t get the luxury of

2nd edit: You can do a thing called gouge kiting where you have a mob snared and continue to gouge it which incapacitates it for a brief time, allowing you to regen back the energy to gouge again. Once you do this to 5 combo points later on when you have kidney strike, you can then stun and pile on some free damage. Doing this method makes the rogue take almost no damage against a single, if needed
Last edited by unsunghero; 09-06-2023 at 11:29 PM..
Old 09-07-2023, 03:11 AM
Planar Protector

I really want to give it a go and remake my old shaman, but I'd be very pissed if I quested the 4 totems then died not long after lol
Old 09-07-2023, 04:22 AM
Planar Protector

Yea I'm on Defias Pillager. Healing derps is fun and all but I'm experimenting with rogue and mage as high-skill DPS-y classes. Rogue is nice being able to nope out of terrible situations people put you in in dungeons. Mage has that ability too somewhat but not as straightforward. Mage and rogue both good dps but mage has definite AOE advantage in dungeons.

Going rogue for now because the toolkit is just super compelling for hardcore.
Old 09-07-2023, 04:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
rogue / mage is prob one of the strongest duos
Old 09-07-2023, 05:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you wanna go backstab spec (sorry it’s been a long time), great weap is the barman shanker from BRD. Huge backstabs with it, and it’s a broken bottle so you look like you are coming from a bar fight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Damn my friend and I played druid and rogue back in high school, like 2006. I remember stealthing into BRD with him to help farm that thing. Gnarly ambushes and backstabs