Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 09-06-2023, 01:24 AM
Banned

Frost spec Mage with frost armor up is basically borderline cheat mode in pve

Every mob that hits the mage gets snared. This means all the mage has to do to stop incoming damage is….walk forward, and the mobs fall behind

That’s not even considering they can blink around and aoe root everything frequently also. And go invuln…
Old 09-06-2023, 01:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i casually mentioned this to my wife (whos first mmo was wow but hasnt played it in years) and now she wont stop talking to me about it. which surprises me a lot because my wife is not the type of person who enjoys anything remotely 'hardcore' and so the thought of her losing her character forever i figured would be an automatic no-go for her but alas i was wrong. she says she thinks it will make the game exciting again...and tbh after thinking about it i think shes right. as long as we make peace with losing our characters i think it sounds like a good time!

soooo i might be trying it out if not just to play with her as a duo squad. she wants to play a mage but idk what i'd play with her...maybe a warlock? or druid?

p.s. i know its a hot take bc everyone loves horde....even my wife....but i'm hoping i can talk her into playing alliance. gnomes/dwarves/night elves/humans > ugly orcs/jamaican tusk trolls/dead guys/cow hippies
Yea I've never been a fan of horde for precisely that reason. Lock and mage will be rolling on the same gear, far from a dealbreaker, but something to consider. There is a 24 hour lockout on individual dungeons so you can't spam them. Druids are good duo partners as are paladins, priests, and shamans.

Just did deadmines. I was the healer, had a warr/lock/hunter/mage. Everyone's got stat food, pots, etc. The whole run goes swimmingly, tank was good and methodical. We kill van cleef and go to jump down to where Cookie is. Hunter doesn't dismiss his pet...... and then lands in the wrong spot and agros a bunch of shit. Everyone immediately makes a beeline for the door. Hunter about to die.... I have a Jesus moment and turn around to lay hands him. Warrior thunderclaps the shit chasing the warlock and he makes it. Everyone else is eating healthstones and potions and shit. Warrior is an inch from death and gets a BoP, and I bubble, and we all make it out with a sliver of HP (except the mage who didn't even look back lol, or help with frost nova)

Really fucking exciting, and reputation matters... which hasn't been a thing in WoW for a long time. Instead of the bolus of players you typically get on a new server, moving through the levels as a cohort, it's more like a pyramid as people die.
Last edited by Lune; 09-06-2023 at 01:31 AM..
Old 09-06-2023, 01:47 AM
Planar Protector

Going to pass, seems awful
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 09-06-2023, 01:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea I've never been a fan of horde for precisely that reason. Lock and mage will be rolling on the same gear, far from a dealbreaker, but something to consider. There is a 24 hour lockout on individual dungeons so you can't spam them. Druids are good duo partners as are paladins, priests, and shamans.

Just did deadmines. I was the healer, had a warr/lock/hunter/mage. Everyone's got stat food, pots, etc. The whole run goes swimmingly, tank was good and methodical. We kill van cleef and go to jump down to where Cookie is. Hunter doesn't dismiss his pet...... and then lands in the wrong spot and agros a bunch of shit. Everyone immediately makes a beeline for the door. Hunter about to die.... I have a Jesus moment and turn around to lay hands him. Warrior thunderclaps the shit chasing the warlock and he makes it. Everyone else is eating healthstones and potions and shit. Warrior is an inch from death and gets a BoP, and I bubble, and we all make it out with a sliver of HP (except the mage who didn't even look back lol, or help with frost nova)

Really fucking exciting, and reputation matters... which hasn't been a thing in WoW for a long time. Instead of the bolus of players you typically get on a new server, moving through the levels as a cohort, it's more like a pyramid as people die.
Paladins can kill themselves to put a 3 min invuln on another character

I’ve seen it happen before on the hardcore highlights vids. Some high level paladin killed herself to save a guildie streamer from a train. Was pretty epic and he even got choked up

She had multiple high level paladins though so it wasn’t quite as epic
Old 09-06-2023, 12:46 PM
Planar Protector

Your heroic stories of the Paladin must have inspired me because i decided to make a paladin with her mage. I've never played a paladin in wow passed like lvl 20ish so this should be fun.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 09-06-2023, 01:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Epic story! I like hearing reputation matters. Which does make sense? But that reminds me of old school eq days.

Old 09-06-2023, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your heroic stories of the Paladin must have inspired me because i decided to make a paladin with her mage. I've never played a paladin in wow passed like lvl 20ish so this should be fun.
Paladins are considered like around A-tier for hardcore

Very survivable, but they have some downsides. A lot of their playstyle is just autoattacking, there isn’t as much stuff to “do” as other classes. Their retribution spec is decent damage and the best for solo leveling, but it kinda falls off at max level unfortunately when it comes to dps compared to most other class dps specs. Prot spec is ok for tanking dungeons but the lack of aoe taunt makes it the weakest of the tanks (feral druid and prot warrior are better tanks). Holy paladin is a ridiculous overpowered healer (and the reason alliance > horde for competitive pve) with borderline unlimited mana, but there isn’t plate with good healing stats, so holy paladins have to wear robes usually for the best stats at max level
Old 09-06-2023, 02:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paladins are considered like around A-tier for hardcore

Very survivable, but they have some downsides. A lot of their playstyle is just autoattacking, there isn’t as much stuff to “do” as other classes. Their retribution spec is decent damage and the best for solo leveling, but it kinda falls off at max level unfortunately when it comes to dps compared to most other class dps specs. Prot spec is ok for tanking dungeons but the lack of aoe taunt makes it the weakest of the tanks (feral druid and prot warrior are better tanks). Holy paladin is a ridiculous overpowered healer (and the reason alliance > horde for competitive pve) with borderline unlimited mana, but there isn’t plate with good healing stats, so holy paladins have to wear robes usually for the best stats at max level
Hmm I was gonna go prot paladin with a little into ret. Now I'm kinda second guessing it if I'm a weaker tank than even druids.

Old 09-06-2023, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hmm I was gonna go prot paladin with a little into ret. Now I'm kinda second guessing it if I'm a weaker tank than even druids.
It’s perfectly ok to tank through all dungeons. I just don’t hear much about prot tanks in raids
Old 09-06-2023, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
What he is saying is pretty much straight from icy veins and only really accurate at the high end, like 50+

Paladin is mostly auto-attacks but you have a lot of situational utility and oh-shit buttons. Kinda reminds me of EQ paladins in that way.

Prot paladins bring some decent AoE agro, but you have to drink a lot-- at low levels you actually spec in the holy tree. You can tank or heal even if you're specced in the ret tree if you just keep some gear available. Personally I leave tanking to the warriors as I feel they just do it better in this era, but pally healing is great. The cool thing is people seem open to having a ret dps, absent any other paladin in group. because the utility saves lives and salv is great.

Managed to get a smite's hammer dpsing for a DM group today and im smashing shit
Last edited by Lune; 09-06-2023 at 04:47 PM..