Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

The thing with 2h damage versus 1h is it's much more inconsistent. Sometimes you absolutely wreck stuff really quick, but if you get a few strings of misses it'll take a while. If you're really desperate to do max damage you can also switch out your ifs between swings and get offhand punches in
Old 08-16-2016, 03:20 PM
Banned

P99 thrives on fast hits - in almost every circumstance the faster you can hit the better. That's because stuff typically dies really fast (even raid mobs). Over a 60 minute time span, sure, the damage is the same or better...but over 20-100 seconds? The misses are going to eat you alive with a slow weapon.

I was thoroughly disgusted with my Tranquil Staff compared to Epic/SoS
Old 08-16-2016, 03:31 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 thrives on fast hits - in almost every circumstance the faster you can hit the better. That's because stuff typically dies really fast (even raid mobs). Over a 60 minute time span, sure, the damage is the same or better...but over 20-100 seconds? The misses are going to eat you alive with a slow weapon.

I was thoroughly disgusted with my Tranquil Staff compared to Epic/SoS
Uhg. That's kind of the conclusion I'm coming to. I guess I will just bag the IFS unless I'm in a group and hasted up and have heals but will have to stick with DW for soloing. I guess that also means I need to start saving up again for an SoS. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Ironically, the Quivering Staff seems to do pretty well. It's fast enough to keep the dmg flowing even with any misses. I guess that means the SoS would do really well for me considering the SoS has similar dmg/dly as a 1h weapon.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:30 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQBallzz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nope. Level 40. Anyone know of a good parser to use? I use GINA for buff overlays but don't think it can be used to parse dps.
I use EQ watcher to parse my dps.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:32 PM
Sarnak

You just have more variance with a slower weapon... some fights you'll miss a lot, others you won't miss, in each case the "extreme" of high DPS or low DPS will be more pronounced than with faster weapons.

Also, it's not true that faster weapons do better damage over a short time period. When you turn on attack for that first hit, it will take the fast weapons most of your delay to catch up to the damage dealt on the first swing of the slower weapon. This will sometimes work in your favor - for example maybe a fight is so short that you only get 3 swings with the 2her in that time period - if the 3rd swing is the deathblow or near to it (mob dies long before your 4th swing would have come), you're likely to do more DPS than you would have with fast weapons. However, if the kill comes just before your last swing with the 2her... the fast weapons are likely to be ahead. Again, just more variance.

My advice is to download gamparse and actually parse if you want to compare your DPS between weapons. Time and time again I've had friends tell me that their 2her does crap damage because of their combat log, but we parse it and it's within a few % of their 1hers just like expected.

Personally I enjoy the ups and downs you get with a big slow weapon. Some fights you will absolutely WRECK your target and that feels great. Others you will miss too much and end up having to feign... but that's just RNG for ya.

Life's hard when you're stupid.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQBallzz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't parse it but the TTK difference was striking..not to mention I was going down to 20-30% health on one mob using the IFS because it was taking so long to kill. Then mobs would run at low health and I would have to chase them down forever to get the kill (aggroing more stuff on me). Killing the same exact mobs with JM/trance and my health would only dip to 80% due to the much faster TTK and mobs would not run far after fleeing due to the faster dmg.

I don't doubt that the DPS potential is probably higher with the IFS but it doesn't seem to be performing as well on shorter fights...or maybe I'm just missing some other factor.
You need to kill things round the corner from similar factioned enemies so they don't run. If things do run don't forget to disengage attack, hit sneak, then start attacking again. That way you can avoid a lot of extra aggro.

As a monk you have excellent h2h damage, so don't forget to unequip/requip your 2hs quickly between swings to allow your offhand a chance to cycle!

Also don't forget you can bandage while fighting, you just have to /stand as the ducking prevents you from being able to autoattack.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:17 PM
Fire Giant

Anyone want to trade SoS and SCHW for an IFS? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]