Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why not use your GI bill to go to school for something if you don't like manual labor? And there are plenty of things where military service, regardless of what you did in the military, will give you a leg up- most federal and state jobs for example. Also very few of the kids you played with are making six figures unless you happened to play with a particularly high achieving bunch.
I did use my GI BILL to become a Paramedic. I didn't enjoy the job. I thoroughly enjoy the job I have now. It's the only job I've ever had where I actually have fun every single day I go to work. But I'm also 36 years old and very seldom see a climbing arborist over the age of 40, and have to be realistic about it.

And yeah, they were particularly high-achieving. You have to remember that most house holds in 1999 didn't have a computer, let alone internet access. Most kids who had access to a gaming computer, and their parents credit card (required to play this game) typically went on to be very successful in life. My next door neighbor is not only a pharmacist, he's over every single pharmacist in the region. My best friend who went into the Navy and became a Nuclear Engineer, got out and makes bank. Another kid is now a Psychology professor at VT and has been there long enough to have earned tenure. Another kid is a surgeon. Ironically two other friends who played with us have committed suicide since then.

I genuinely believe that EverQuest was an upper middle-class experience for most kids who were able to access it in 1999.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:50 AM
Sarnak

Rant page 13, not banned. I think your gonna fit in here just fine
Old 07-25-2020, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I genuinely believe that EverQuest was an upper middle-class experience for most kids who were able to access it in 1999.
EQ was for the privileged? guess we gotta tear it down and burn it but not before looting EC and "redistributing wealth"
Old 07-25-2020, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ was for the privileged? guess we gotta tear it down and burn it but not before looting EC and "redistributing wealth"
I actually support this. Most of the wealth should be given to Gnomes, particularly the Rogues, Clerics, and Warriors who don't have the privilege of getting everything handed to them in life.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did use my GI BILL to become a Paramedic. I didn't enjoy the job. I thoroughly enjoy the job I have now. It's the only job I've ever had where I actually have fun every single day I go to work. But I'm also 36 years old and very seldom see a climbing arborist over the age of 40, and have to be realistic about it.

And yeah, they were particularly high-achieving. You have to remember that most house holds in 1999 didn't have a computer, let alone internet access. Most kids who had access to a gaming computer, and their parents credit card (required to play this game) typically went on to be very successful in life. My next door neighbor is not only a pharmacist, he's over every single pharmacist in the region. My best friend who went into the Navy and became a Nuclear Engineer, got out and makes bank. Another kid is now a Psychology professor at VT and has been there long enough to have earned tenure. Another kid is a surgeon. Ironically two other friends who played with us have committed suicide since then.

I'd say that's absolutely true about it being an upper middle class experience in general, and as evidenced on this very forum and community many went on to become software develops, sysadmins, etc. But I wouldn't say most. I grew up in one of the wealthiest areas of California- one of my friends fixes air conditioners, one of em works at a sandwich shop, another one got an MBA and works for the US treasury but only makes maybe 80k.

People ham up their lifestyle on social media so I'd take any display of status with a grain of salt. And I debated being a navy nuclear tech, they aren;t engineers unless they get out and get degrees, most of them only end up making 60-70k when they get out of the navy unless they got a shitload of certs and further degrees
Old 07-25-2020, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd say that's absolutely true about it being an upper middle class experience in general, and as evidenced on this very forum and community many went on to become software develops, sysadmins, etc. But I wouldn't say most. I grew up in one of the wealthiest areas of California- one of my friends fixes air conditioners, one of em works at a sandwich shop, another one got an MBA and works for the US treasury but only makes maybe 80k.

People ham up their lifestyle on social media so I'd take any display of status with a grain of salt. And I debated being a navy nuclear tech, they aren;t engineers unless they get out and get degrees, most of them only end up making 60-70k when they get out of the navy unless they got a shitload of certs and further degrees
I actually thought everyone in California was rich? We went out there last summer to help clear out power-lines in the aftermath of the wildfires, and were making about 20K a month. Talked to some of the guys who were from California and their flaggers (lowest guys on the totem pole) were making $160K a year walking in off the street. Flaggers for the same company where I live make $12 an hour if they are lucky, so the difference in pay was shocking. I've actually thought about living there for a couple of years and coming back and buying a mansion after that experience.

Also my friend actually had a degree before he went in -- they almost didn't take him because his grades were bad. Actually ran into each other during deployment. We were both on BIAP at the time. Literally saw him on the main chow hall just by chance (Navy guys stick out like a sore thumb on a predominantly ARMY base because of their uniforms being different).
Old 07-25-2020, 12:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I actually thought everyone in California was rich? We went out there last summer to help clear out power-lines in the aftermath of the wildfires, and were making about 20K a month. Talked to some of the guys who were from California and their flaggers (lowest guys on the totem pole) were making $160K a year walking in off the street. Flaggers for the same company where I live make $12 an hour if they are lucky, so the difference in pay was shocking. I've actually thought about living there for a couple of years and coming back and buying a mansion after that experience.

Also my friend actually had a degree before he went in -- they almost didn't take him because his grades were bad. Actually ran into each other during deployment. We were both on BIAP at the time. Literally saw him on the main chow hall just by chance (Navy guys stick out like a sore thumb on a predominantly ARMY base because of their uniforms being different).
lol somebody was pulling your chain. Wages for many basic services in California can be excessive compared to the rest of the country depending on your location but nobody performing an entry-level service like that is making $160k a year unless they are independent contractors and found a loophole or niche. If everybody in California were rich there wouldn't have been hundreds of thousands being priced out and forced to leave over the years.

For example a basic entry level police officer in San Francisco makes $120k a year during the academy, but expect 4000 overqualified applicants for 12 positions and a 2 hour commute because you can't easily afford to live close to where you work on that
Old 07-25-2020, 12:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
lol somebody was pulling your chain. Wages for many basic services in California can be excessive compared to the rest of the country depending on your location but nobody performing an entry-level service like that is making $160k a year unless they are independent contractors and found a loophole or niche. If everybody in California were rich there wouldn't have been hundreds of thousands being priced out and forced to leave over the years.

For example a basic entry level police officer in San Francisco makes $120k a year during the academy, but expect 4000 overqualified applicants for 12 positions and a 2 hour commute because you can't easily afford to live close to where you work on that
I think the starting pay for town cops where I live is roughly $20K a year .... and they wonder why they're all corrupt and on meth.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:45 PM
Large Rat

at least you have your onlyfans to fall back on, guys buy that stuff up quick....gotta be making fat stacks of cash
Old 07-25-2020, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyrockerfan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
at least you have your onlyfans to fall back on, guys buy that stuff up quick....gotta be making fat stacks of cash
Sickest resume of all time.
Closed Thread