Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 07:19 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default all them choices - classes

bare with me, i know a few have allready asked the same..

i think i have narrowed it down to the following classes/races

Ogre, SK - i think SK is an awesome class, never played one tho. (hardcore penality?)
Troll, Shaman - Really strong class i belive (no torpor, no good?)
DE, wizard - i've played Wizard on live, from pop to VOA. (good classic?)
HIE, enchanter - Did this one on RF and had a blast (borring raids, to many enc on server?)
Half Elf, Ranger - Just for the challenge
Erudite, Magician - My first char in the EQ univers (never gonna get epic?)

I have limetet playtime due to work and comute.

I want to be able to solo while LFG and do quests

Your input here: ______ - Thanks in advance
Old 09-30-2019, 07:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by santis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
bare with me, i know a few have allready asked the same..

i think i have narrowed it down to the following classes/races

Ogre, SK - i think SK is an awesome class, never played one tho. (hardcore penality?)
Troll, Shaman - Really strong class i belive (no torpor, no good?)
DE, wizard - i've played Wizard on live, from pop to VOA. (good classic?)
HIE, enchanter - Did this one on RF and had a blast (borring raids, to many enc on server?)
Half Elf, Ranger - Just for the challenge
Erudite, Magician - My first char in the EQ univers (never gonna get epic?)

I have limetet playtime due to work and comute.

I want to be able to solo while LFG and do quests

Your input here: ______ - Thanks in advance
My OPINIONS below in red. I tend to focus on the positives rather than the negatives, as so many others do for some reason:

Ogre, SK - i think SK is an awesome class, never played one tho. (hardcore penality?) Yes there is a significant experience penalty here, but I loved my Shadow Knight! Play what you want and ignore the penalty. Besides, I always found it bad ass when I was a high level Shadow Knight and no one else even had the balls to level one up!
Troll, Shaman - Really strong class i belive (no torpor, no good?) Very strong race/class combo. You get regen!
DE, wizard - i've played Wizard on live, from pop to VOA. (good classic?) Wizards are pretty awesome and Dark Elves are a great race! You will be one of the only classes that can quad kite and that can port. Hello platinum!
HIE, enchanter - Did this one on RF and had a blast (borring raids, to many enc on server?) Don't worry about what others will play, especially here. Remember that only a hundred people or so vote on these player made polls and most do not come to these forums. Also remember that many people have rose tinted glasses on and believe the class is easier than they originally thought. Some drop out and re-roll. Play what you want. That being said, I had a blast with my Enchanter in groups. I do not know much about the solo route with Enchanters, but I heard it is difficult, but rewarding!
Half Elf, Ranger - Just for the challenge I have heard that Rangers in vanilla re pretty kick ass!
Erudite, Magician - My first char in the EQ univers (never gonna get epic?) Not sure about the epic, imo who cares. But this is a strong race/class combo! Magicians solo well and their magic DPS in groups is difficult to match!
Old 09-30-2019, 07:34 AM
Aviak

You should be able to Solo with any of those but enc/mage will be best at it, SK/Ranger will be hardest. Wizards will be at their best compared to melee in this era plus porting ability makes it easier to get to a group quickly after you find one that wants you.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:39 AM
Planar Protector

Well all of those can solo, but ranger is probably the most limited in their soloability. You will have to hunt down animals to fear kite and there might be very few places and fewer mobs available depending on your level range and then you are way the hell out in the middle of nowhere "looking for a group" which even if it comes is probably going to be far away.

Other than that pick whatever you think is going to be the most interesting/fun/whatever. It's your character after all.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:52 AM
Sarnak

I'd say they're all good choices for group/solo.

If time is going to be quite limited, and you're after a Guise or something, you might want to aim to level the class you most want a guise on, as you might not get other classes high enough to get one before it goes.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:56 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well all of those can solo, but ranger is probably the most limited in their soloability. You will have to hunt down animals to fear kite
Accoring to the wiki, rangers do not get animal fear until velious.
I would say that SK and rangers can not solo well enough to consider doing it. People are thinking about blue server when they say this, where everyone had cheap velious weapons and gear. Vanilla weapons do not really allow for melee classes to solo except for maybe greens with alot of downtime even then.

People also think enchanters are a soloing God, but again with bad gear your soloing is even less reliable. You log in, you gotta find something appropriate to charm, and you're going to die a lot due to charm breaks/resists. Not the best way to exp reliably.

Not saying these are bad classes, but solo ability is different when you take away gear. Especially if we are talking "worthwhile solo for exp" instead of " I need to kill 1 mob for a quest". You basically have to think "who can solo naked?"

Druid, necro, bard, wizard. Then mage and maybe monk. Enchanters have the tools but it's scary. Shamans are alright (with their vanilla gear).
Old 09-30-2019, 08:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by soronil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
and you're going to die a lot due to charm breaks/resists. Not the best way to exp reliably.
We are all going to die a lot on green. It's just the way EverQuest classic is...
Old 09-30-2019, 08:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by soronil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Accoring to the wiki, rangers do not get animal fear until velious.
Seriously. Haha. That's horrible.

I take it back then, they can't solo, but I do double-down on scratching it off the list.

Quote:
I would say that SK and rangers can not solo well enough to consider doing it.
Nah, SK can solo fine post-fear. I solo'd mine plenty back then in ghetto gear. It wasn't pretty sometimes but i got the job done.
Last edited by DMN; 09-30-2019 at 08:18 AM..
Old 09-30-2019, 01:38 PM
Fire Giant

Rangers can solo fine, but it will be a bit slower than Blue due to weaker gear. I found the root + arrows down to a certain health %, then melee until they flee works fairly well.

Stick with mobs that flee though, as you will not be able to melee for long. Since you have snare, root and a tiny heal, it really isn't so bad for leveling solo. Animal fear as a means to solo is fine in Velious, but awfully boring.

The trick, however, is to stock up on arrow-making mats prior to venturing out. You'll go through a lot of arrows, so use the cheapest long-range recipe you can handle. So, it certainly helps being somewhat close to an archery supply vendor.

But yeah, Rangers have SoW, snare, root, harmony, etc. It is a pretty solid solo class if you are patient and plan.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Planar Protector

As a ranger on live, I used to arrow kite with snare all over the karanas

Then velious came out and I fear kited cougars.

Still a bad soloer compared to some, but better than others.
Lost but not forgotten.
Last edited by Gustoo; 09-30-2019 at 01:47 PM..
Closed Thread