Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Sarnak

Default This sucks

No matter what I do or try to do, I always have this issue where I have run on sentences. It sucks. I've tried everything to try and change this, but I just can't seem to shake the bad habit. Does anyone have an suggestions on ways to improve this?

Where I see the issue occur, is when I'm writing papers for homework. I just got back my last paper and got marked off big time for run on's, and for not breaking a typography standard which is you can indent OR page break but not both. She said I have to do both for English writing assignments, though it's for Psychology, but I informed her my Typography teacher said that's not the norm for typography and grid designers.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Banned

get a real major or graduate high school. You won't ever have to worry about run-ons again.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Fire Giant

Well, I'm not an english major, but I would suggest learning to recognize a run-on sentence in your writing. Then determine how to break it up.

1) Limit your sentences to 20 words. If you get there to 20 (maybe 21-22) and aren't done with what you need to say, then it needs to be two (or more) sentences.

2) Write whatever you want, then read it aloud. Actually out loud, not mouth the words silently. When need to pause to breathe, you need a new sentence, or at least some break via punctuation.

My HS english teacher used William Faulkner to illustrate how there comes a point when a sentence is SO long you forget the beginning before you get to the end.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
get a real major or graduate high school. You won't ever have to worry about run-ons again.
Web Design is a real major. I'm earning a Bachelors in Fine Arts. I did graduate high school, it was just a poor school.
Quellren, thank you for those tips. I've never had anyone break down that down like that. I usually do make sentences so long that I forget what I was talking about.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Web Design is a real major. I'm earning a Bachelors in Fine Arts.
lol contradictions
Old 11-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Fire Giant

Don't listen to him. He's projecting because he has a GED.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Fire Giant

Just insert a crap load of commas
Old 11-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Banned

but what if dude's Political Implications of Astrological Superstition in Southeast Rwanda professor doesn't like commas? There's no way he'll be able to get into grad school if he can't convince Professor (Mr.) Ruiz that his arbitrarily-assigned grade should be an A.

Never gonna get your BFA in web design with advice like this
Old 11-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Aviak

just remove punctuation and capitalization altogether and string everything together with whatever you find convenient like and or but and and with others like so and people wont mind at all besides written conversation is a dead art especially in communication over everquest forums and other mmo forums so I wouldnt stress too much over creating too many runon sentences its way more common than you probably imagine I see people do this way too often but Ive grown accustomed to it so much that I hardly even notice it so just keep on keeping on and dont mind the haters I dont even think that this will keep you down in a professional setting because Ive had far too many experiences with c level executives who did this and they got where they are without learning how to write good or speak best so you can do it too and dont even flinch when corrected or such like abraham lincoln once said the problem with quoting things on the internet is that its very hard to verify the accuracy of the quote so even someone as tall and smart as abraham lincoln can reach lofty potential and get great seats at public venues and plays despite having a literary handicap and I bet there are many everquest players who have no problem reading your thoughts through tough runon sentences its really no big deal peace out and good luck in your endeavors oh one more thing you can always extend your thoughts with ellipses and semi colons it makes a world of difference; I always think so.
The Bane of Bixies©
Huge halfling balls.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
but what if dude's Political Implications of Astrological Superstition in Southeast Rwanda professor doesn't like commas? There's no way he'll be able to get into grad school if he can't convince Professor (Mr.) Ruiz that his arbitrarily-assigned grade should be an A.

Never gonna get your BFA in web design with advice like this
A+ post hermano.