Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Screenshots

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchybottom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Load a page full of GIF animation and watch Chrome suffer. Firefox still has more usability, and Internet Explorer and Opera are more secure than either.
I've never had any issue with gifs at all, and all of the tests I've ran or seen show Chrome leaps and bounds ahead of Firefox in handling graphics. I just tested it out by loading a page full of gifs and it didn't even slow down noticeably. Did you read an article on this somewhere or have a specific page in mind to test with?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Aviak

Yeah, have you tried Chrome? I was an avid FireFox user until they made Chrome nice and stable.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Fire Giant

This Firefox 4 isn't half bad. It's basically Google Chrome, except you can use keyboard shortcuts for BBCode like Ctrl-B for bold and Ctrl-I for italics.

For some reason, that was too much to ask of Chrome even though those have been standard shortcuts since the god damned 80s.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Got a message telling me to disable my aero on win7 :/

I am dissapoint

I enchant things...
Old 12-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnimorph [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Got a message telling me to disable my aero on win7 :/

I am dissapoint
Like the article I posted/linked says, the more memory you have, the more ff will scale usage. You have 50% physical left. Though that is high on usage, may want to try some tweaking on the settings.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Kobold

People are under the assumption that memory management still functions like it did 10 years ago in the days of Windows XP. That is to say, they assume that Windows carves out whatever chunk it needs and refuses to ever give it back.

This is no longer the case.

Under the Windows Vista/7 memory management model, the Windows stack and other applications are free to gobble up memory to a point. In contrast, however, Vista/7 is more than willing to release that memory in the event another application demands precedence.

For example, EverQuest was running and demanded 692MB. As soon as I closed it, Firefox's memory consumption began to inflate. When I launched EverQuest again, Firefox's memory consumption scaled back.

If you're the kind of person that has 50% free memory after Windows, a 1GB application, and various other apps, you should not be surprised by high-memory apps.

Memory just isn't handled the same any more, so I don't know why people are bitching.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Fire Giant

So, what you're saying is I can stop trying to cram these punch cards into my DVD drive.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Kobold

Basically.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, what you're saying is I can stop trying to cram these punch cards into my DVD drive.
Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've never had any issue with gifs at all, and all of the tests I've ran or seen show Chrome leaps and bounds ahead of Firefox in handling graphics. I just tested it out by loading a page full of gifs and it didn't even slow down noticeably. Did you read an article on this somewhere or have a specific page in mind to test with?
A quick Google yielded this thread for testing http://forum.glassjaw.net/topic/7069...mation-thread/. Chrome is pretty bad compared to Firefox, but it has got a little better. Scroll up and down, watch the CPU usage and watch the chop. Doesn't happen in Firefox.
Closed Thread