Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Sarnak

Default choppy gameplay.

havent been online in about a month, and it [I]seems[I] like since i updated spellfiles and such my gameplay has become pretty choppy, anyone having a similar issue?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Planar Protector

I just started playing the other day and yes it does seem a bit choppy at times. There's occasional NPC and player warping and an overall lack of smoothness. Sometimes I'll target an NPC in front of me only to see it warp away somewhere or disappear completely, or I'll group with someone and have difficulty tracking his movements because his running and turning is a little choppy.

Is this what you mean? It's not bad choppiness like you'd see if there was a framerate issue. It seems there's a little delay between client and server, just enough to make it a bit choppy at times with certain NPCs or players.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameroncoolcarter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
havent been online in about a month, and it [I]seems[I] like since i updated spellfiles and such my gameplay has become pretty choppy, anyone having a similar issue?
September 19th is when my choppyness started. Reliability Monitor reported nothing new installed on my end and even a system restore to a date prior didn't help.

Either EQ was modified or Windows Media Center was updated because these two programs will no longer run together and they had run with no problems the year prior.

I just assumed maybe their new cheater catching tactics slowed things down. It is strange because everything runs fine for awhile and then I will have a few minutes of slowness. No big spike in CPU or memory usage during the slowdown.

Asher
Old 10-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

I know this sounds weird, but run a 4-5minute song on youtube before you open up eqgame.exe. For some reason it's the only way i can play on my laptop without it being choppy. Not a dualcore or anything. I just have a youtube playlist that constantly plays
Old 10-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingme [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know this sounds weird, but run a 4-5minute song on youtube before you open up eqgame.exe. For some reason it's the only way i can play on my laptop without it being choppy. Not a dualcore or anything. I just have a youtube playlist that constantly plays
You know.. this is not the first time I have heard this and for some reason I remember it working. But for the life of me I cannot remember where I had heard this before.

2 thumbs up if it works [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Planar Protector

Play a youtube video first? Does that help with players in your party warping slightly as they run around, or mobs doing the same? That's what I meant when I mentioned "choppy". It's definitely not this computer and definitely not my connection causing the problem. Just yesterday I was following a groupmate running around and had trouble tracking him whenever he turned because he was warping around a bit.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Sarnak

this is called ghosting its caused by lag between server and client... mostly a client issue but its fairly common
Falisaty Shagswell mage of 10 winters
"O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade that, with it, thou mayest blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." Armaments 2:9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmakos View Post
my dick would look huge in her hand
Old 10-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falisaty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this is called ghosting its caused by lag between server and client... mostly a client issue but its fairly common
Not all players ghost to me, and not all mobs. I don't know what it is about my client that would cause some to ghost and not others.

What's this choppy gameplay then?
Old 10-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Im having the same trouble as mrsparkle. I've tried changing my display settings to no avail. I'd like to play on PvP but everyone is ghosting around to me. Would be a nightmare to try and fight someone.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:25 AM
Planar Protector

Thing is, this computer is tons better than the ancient computer I used to play EQ on, so I don't see how it could be a client issue? It seems like the server can't update the client properly when players make sudden turns while running etc., and at times it can't even update a mob's location in time, and I run up to one trying to attack it only to see it warp away somewhere a few moments later.

I don't see how that can be client-side. Everything about this computer is vastly superior in every way to my old EQ computer, including Fios fiber optic broadband.

And when there's no ghosting everything is nice and smooth. Some players ghost worse than others, and in general more players ghost than should, and way too many mobs have serious ghosting issues (not to mention all the mobs that don't even move, they just stand in place forever after spawning).