Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 08-16-2022, 05:08 PM
Aviak

Lived here for 3 years now. I love it...mostly.

Not the rain, though. Rain gets old.
Old 08-16-2022, 05:13 PM
Banned

What was that show about the alaska family with the old dude with a white beard? That was pretty cool.

Brown town or something.
Old 08-16-2022, 05:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What was that show about the alaska family with the old dude with a white beard? That was pretty cool.

Brown town or something.
Fuck, the wolf pack people?
Old 08-16-2022, 05:44 PM
Banned

Yeah thats it! I watched the first two or three seasons of that. It's oddly endearing.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trude [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lived here for 3 years now. I love it...mostly.

Not the rain, though. Rain gets old.
The rain has sucked the past three weeks, I’ll admit. We had one sunny day in anchorage last Wednesday I think? That’s been about it
Old 08-16-2022, 06:27 PM
Planar Protector

Whats the rain like? Some places have big rain with big fat drops, some places have small rain with itty bitty teeny drops, and some places have medium rain with little regular drops.

Im curious what alaska has because that is about as exciting as my life is.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could you homestead in Alaska if you're a vegetarian? I'm thinking probably not? I'd have to start eating fish again I think to make it work...and ugggh that sounds gross and terrible! But I cannot imagine you'd be able to grow much of a garden there but maybe with a greenhouse it's not so bad?
Everyone here grows rhubarb and squash and carrots and shit

Idk, if I post up for retirement I’ll have some sheep and hunt moose and bear and caribou. I’m definitely no vegan and I love tracking and bow hunting. Been doing this shit since I was a boy back in Iran

Seems likely you’d need a green house. The summer sunlight definitely makes farming productive (temporarily) in some areas. I think most of the farmers are in the MatSu valley north of anchorage
Old 08-16-2022, 06:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Whats the rain like? Some places have big rain with big fat drops, some places have small rain with itty bitty teeny drops, and some places have medium rain with little regular drops.

Im curious what alaska has because that is about as exciting as my life is.
So houston rains more BIGLY. Houston rains 5 inches at a time and you get to watch all of the Louisiana people come save us in their swamp boats

Anchorage has been raining for three straight weeks but rarely half an inch a day. Mostly off and on sprinkling, but a few days have rained more (like an inch). I’ve been consistently hiking this entire time and I’m not exactly young with great knees or a mountaineer type, so the trails aren’t saturated if that gives you any indication
Old 08-16-2022, 07:58 PM
Planar Protector

yeah it does, cool. I always wonder when i watch those alone in alaska shows.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaveh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So houston rains more BIGLY. Houston rains 5 inches at a time and you get to watch all of the Louisiana people come save us in their swamp boats

Anchorage has been raining for three straight weeks but rarely half an inch a day. Mostly off and on sprinkling, but a few days have rained more (like an inch). I’ve been consistently hiking this entire time and I’m not exactly young with great knees or a mountaineer type, so the trails aren’t saturated if that gives you any indication
Its almost like a falling mist the rain? What has been the best hike?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung