Old 03-21-2022, 06:16 PM
Planar Protector

*My reference

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...&postcount=204

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...&postcount=145

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...&postcount=142

Quote:
https://web.archive.org/web/20040320...urceforge.net/

As many of you know, EverQuest is a horrible CPU hog. As fewer of you know, it doesn't need to be. EverQuest currently fights furiously with your computer to eat every possible nanosecond of CPU processing time. This is very bad for your system overall. For example, your CPU is generating much more heat than it should be, and can cause rampant overheating. Other applications are bullied around like school children giving up lunch money (including system drivers, for things like winmodems -- this prevents winmodem users from even PLAYING the game). What needs to happen, you ask? Very simple. As discovered and mentioned through more questionable methods, EverQuest has a "main loop", where it processes everything needed for EverQuest to function. It is this loop that runs continuously that refuses to yield the CPU even for necessary system functionality. The EQ dev team could insert the line "Sleep(0);" into the loop at any point, and this would give up enough CPU time for the system to function properly, without giving up any of your framerate. This would allow you to open up your web browser without it taking 10 minutes, it would allow winmodem users to play the game, etc. Furthermore, allowing an option to reduce CPU time by increasing the amount of Sleep would be extremely beneficial for overheating and power usage. This Sleep also drastically reduces many forms of lag in the game, and actually allows you to run multiple sessions of EverQuest on the same computer much more smoothly. As an EverQuest player you should be concerned about EverQuest playing nice with your system. Post on the EverQuest station boards, contact your GM, email SOE, do what needs to be done for them to read this message and give a little back to your computer for all the hard work it has done playing the game [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-21-2022, 06:19 PM
Planar Protector

Mild customization to make the Kunark Colonialism server work.

I'd play basically any limited content server. North Antonica only would be awesome, and it could be done. Everyone in smithed junk armor raiding vox with Warriors, shamans, and rogues only.

All barbarians in halas gearing up for the battle, marching across the tundra to face the dragon that has haunted their lands for generations.

Lots of fun options.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:29 PM
Planar Protector

replying to a bunch of you:

I had 2 PCs and a laptop running EQ. 1 compaq and 2 alienware.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:31 PM
Banned

Yeah it would definitely take some tweaking, but I just remember the original Verant sales pitch for kunark which was that you can level from 1-60 without ever leaving, so it's like okay let's see how true that is haha
Old 03-21-2022, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
replying to a bunch of you:

I had 2 PCs and a laptop running EQ. 1 compaq and 2 alienware.
Well that's very different than just being able to make 6 accounts for free and run them all on one PC and alt tab between them.

The barrier of entry to multi-boxing was much higher then, which was good because it hurts what most of us all like about classic eq.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well that's very different than just being able to make 6 accounts for free and run them all on one PC and alt tab between them.

The barrier of entry to multi-boxing was much higher then, which was good because it hurts what most of us all like about classic eq.
its no different, what we can do now is simply more convenient and requires less effort.

I had 8 accounts, with multiples of the same class, so that I could pick and choose. I bought a few of the accounts. my dad's house had 6 phone lines, I wired 2 more to my room.

then in like 2003 EQwindows was invented, and then things got really cray cray
Old 03-21-2022, 09:09 PM
Banned

U where quite the baller for 1999 compared to us peasants.

I. Sure ppl boxed. Just not more than 5% of players tho probably.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:48 PM
Kobold

This looks awesome. I wonder if this is all on 1 computer. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCydMjA_h0A
Old 03-21-2022, 10:09 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Boxing was not common at all in the era that p99 attempts to recreate. If anything, p99 needs to go further and limit players to a single account. Having infinite free accounts is probably the least classic thing we have here. It affects so many aspects of the game. Imagine you have 8 char slots and none of those 8 chars can be played at the same time as another on the account. Choose your alts carefully. No more "hey bro can you sit afk on my alt so i can PL it" cheese. In the raid scene it is InfrastructureQuest with all the mules and bots spread across countless accounts and designed to be shared. None of that shit is classic.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:37 PM
Fire Giant

every vocal player thinks their opinion represents the mass

/sigh