Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 08-21-2023, 04:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We've said pretty much everything to him that can be said. A normal troll would have bowed out by now, but this is merely some psychosis he's going through at the moment.

I kind of want him to just leave the forums now. All he does is give stupid advice and call you a troll when you get fed up with him.
This is your problem. You want people you disagree with to stop talking. Shutting down conversation is not how you prove you are correct. This is why you are a troll. You think that trolling is the method by which you can shut down the conversation.

It doesn't work. Prove you are correct with logic, evidence, and reason.

You can choose to stop trolling and start trying to prove me wrong at any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You also cannot simply dismiss all data out of hand, and assume an opinion is a stronger piece of evidence. This is done frequently by the trolls. Understanding that data may be flawed or incomplete is not a reason to assume it always must be. If you want to show that someone's data is flawed, you need to do more than simple trolling.

It is simply an excuse to always proclaim "You do not have a large enough sample size, therefore all evidence gathered thus far is meaningless". I am not saying you said that, but other posters basically do this. This is a tactic used to try and make all opinions equal. When all opinions are equal, nobody is correct. When nobody is correct, there cannot be a consensus.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-21-2023 at 04:15 PM..
Old 08-21-2023, 04:23 PM
Fire Giant

You can have the last word. It doesn't matter anymore.

All I know is that I'm getting of your presence.
Old 08-21-2023, 04:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can have the last word. It doesn't matter anymore.

All I know is that I'm getting of your presence.
Hopefully this means you are ending your trolling career on these forums.

This is a great moment if so!
Old 08-21-2023, 04:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a lovely comment when combined with the image in your signature. Horseriding while commando, though, whew. I pity the saddle.
Pity the horse?

Consider this:

As you repeatedly ride your warhorse into battle (bareback), all those oils and taint juices cover your steeds back in a film that hardens into a protective shell. Given enough time, these layers of ‘coating resins’ build up to provide a thick, lustrous all natural armor.

Every horse should be so lucky!

Ps: skip the saddle
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-21-2023, 05:14 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Every horse should be so lucky!
Tally-ho!
Old 08-21-2023, 05:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want to deflect and change the conversation that's fine but I'm not choosing to speak to the trolls and I don't believe there is a dependency between speaking to you about changing your methods and speaking to the trolls about their trolling. You could say that correlation is not causation, and you'd be right. Obviously just because you post things and people troll you does not mean you are causing the trolling. But I believe there is a preponderance of evidence that shows it's more likely than not that when you post, because of how you speak/debate/argue, trolls come after you in a way that they do not come after other people.

I do not believe I'm ignoring the more obvious problem. You are free to disagree with me about that, but that is not my belief. I believe based on the overwhelming evidence of how often you are targeted and trolled that there is something unique to you that is attracting the trolls to come engage you. I don't believe that uniqueness is a positive thing because I have seen dozens of non-trolls get incredibly frustrated with you to the point of not wanting to engage. If every conversation you engage in ends up devolving this way but you observe plenty of other conversations that you are not a part of on these very forums that do not devolve this way I think it's fairly obvious what the common denominator is. I have even seen plenty of the people trolling you in this thread be completely reasonable and able to converse in a normal and civil manner in other threads with other people.

The "assumption", as you put it, that I'm making about the way you think isn't made flippantly or at random. It's made after a critical examination of literally hundreds of forum posts you've made. The data converges in a very specific way. I don't think you're able to look at yourself in the same critical manner that you subject others to. I think if you put up a poll on the forums (and reject the people you consider trolls from the data) you would find people agree with me about your thought process. It is very rigid and very binary. You have a hard time thinking outside the box of the "DATA/NUMBERS" to other reasons or causes for things. You very much seem obsessed with making every argument quantifiable with Mathmatics and that is not always how the world works.

Even in the world of video games and within the framework they present. You still have the human element and that can't always be expressed as a set of equations or simple numerical data. You constantly refuse to engage with peoples questions or ideas if they don't first jump through a series of hoops that you lay out. It's not a requirement of rigorous debate for people to do their own testing and present their own data before being able to speak on yours. You very often hold that up as a shield to block any and all criticism of the things you post, and that is a very intellectually dishonest way to debate and engage with people.
What behavior do you believe to be better?

1. Posting strawmen, false information, and gifs in an attempt to undermine a debate partner?
2. Posting evidence to back up your position?

The question is really that simple. People have different personalities. Sometimes personalities conflict, there is no inherit problem with that. Your assessment of my personality is a complete fabrication, but I cannot stop you from believing false information. I'd ask you to provide evidence to show where you got your ideas about me, but I will not hold my breath.

You are actively supporting the first behavior by choosing to ignore the trolls and go after people being trolled.

Actions speak louder than words. You can choose to believe you are trying to help here, but you are not. I am amazed you think you can sound sincere when your signature is "Please be warned when trying to take advice from DSM". You are telling the entire forum that you will attack anybody who disagrees with you via any method possible with a signature like that. It is beyond petty.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-21-2023 at 05:56 PM..
Old 08-21-2023, 06:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're right. The question is very simple. Why do you get targeted by trolls at a rate far exceeding other people on these forums. Why are the people who very often troll you able to carry on reasonable and civil debates and conversations with other people that do not devolve into trolling and insults.

If you can answer those questions in an honest way I think you'll find all the data you're looking for.
I cannot mind read other posters. Trolling is their own personal decision. You need to ask them. The trouble with this is you cannot tell when a troll is being sincere, or lying.

There is NO valid reason to troll someone. This means it doesn't actually matter why at the end of the day.

I will take a guess, but I cannot prove it obviously. People bully others, often by grouping up. The commonality across the bloated threads is the same posters doing the trolling. They have banded together and formed a mutual agreement to troll people they disagree with. This makes "winning" debates easier for them, because they can appear to be correct without having to actually do any work to show why they are correct.

Because they have shown themselves to be trolls, people will be less likely to engage with them, for fear of being trolled. A troll can have a civil conversation with someone they agree with. The issue comes in to play when a disagreement occurs. I simply happen to be one of the posters who is not afraid of confronting their potentially faulty ideas. Their trolling tactics do not scare me. Bullies do not like it when people fight back, so they will go to extra lengths to try and attack me at every turn.
Old 08-21-2023, 06:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I don't think you're being honest in your assessment. I have seen plenty of the people who troll you disagree with other people in threads not involving you and it does not devolve into trolling and insulting.
You are an admitted troll. Your honesty is in question here, not mine. It is easy enough to assume you are lying about your assessment to troll yet again. You are literally trolling me right now with your signature.

Quote:
This is a cop out.
It's not a cop out. There is no valid reason for trolling people. If you think there is a valid reason for trolling, you are supporting the trolls in their behavior.

Quote:
If you actually believe this I think there's an underlying issue you're not addressing.

I think most people would just use the block function on people they deem to be trolls so they don't have to engage with them at all. I have plenty of people on these forums and on discord blocked. It's a wonderful tool to cut down on the noise.
You don't know what everyone's opinions are about the ignore/block button. I personally do not use it at all.

Quote:
So you honestly think that trolls target nearly everything you post on the forums because they disagree with you but they don't target other people they disagree with? Or do you think it's just random chance that the vast majority of things that get posted these trolls agree with and you're by a large margin posting things that the trolls don't agree with?*

*(I came to this conclusion because of how often you are targeted by trolls compared to every other person on the p99 forums. Your target rate far exceeds everyone else, even the people who post far more than you, of which there are a fair amount.)
Why do you think it is a stretch for bullies to come together to bully other people? It happens all the time in real life and on the internet. I am not forcing them to troll every thread I post in lol.

You seem to forget other posters agree with me too. I am not the only one who shares my opinions.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-21-2023 at 06:56 PM..
Old 08-21-2023, 07:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Why are the people who very often troll you able to carry on reasonable and civil debates and conversations with other people that do not devolve into trolling and insults.
Croco may be on to something here guys …

Let’s see if DSM can figure it out.

Old 08-21-2023, 07:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
My perception is that your opinions seem to be in the minority and that there are usually very few people who agree with you when I read a thread you're actively posting in.