Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Screenshots

Old 01-13-2023, 06:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic EQ had some wonky pricing on things back in the day.
I genuinely believe that items are significantly more common on P99 than they were on EQ back in the day. I think the drop-rates are over-tuned for sure. You see it everywhere from Planar loot to regular items.
Old 01-14-2023, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeCat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I genuinely believe that items are significantly more common on P99 than they were on EQ back in the day. I think the drop-rates are over-tuned for sure. You see it everywhere from Planar loot to regular items.
While the drops rates probably aren't classic, the inflation mostly comes from game knowledge. Back in the day a lot of people didn't know where certain items came from, and people weren't as good at the game. So naturally items were rarer, regardless of drop rate.
Old 01-15-2023, 04:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While the drops rates probably aren't classic, the inflation mostly comes from game knowledge. Back in the day a lot of people didn't know where certain items came from, and people weren't as good at the game. So naturally items were rarer, regardless of drop rate.
My next door neighbor, who I pretty much haven't seen since high school, decided to camp Bilge Farfathom until they either got the Reed Belt or a PKT (both items sold for over 100K) on our server. His best friend, who was a Ranger, decided to help him. Both of them had track since my friend was also a Druid. They camped this dude in shifts for over 6 months, with one of them ultimately rage quitting the game because he finally saw Bilge after 6 months, and confirmed he had the PKT in his hand, but got away because he had SoW and was honestly a lot tougher than they had expected.

It just blows my mind how on P99 you can't walk outside of Unrest without seeing Bilge, and Reed Belts were dirt cheap even early on on P99 Green.

Planar gear is a really good example too. It took me like 3-4 months to get full Woven Shadow despite spending so much time in Plane of Hate that I had to drop out of high school. We literally killed every single mob that could possibly drop the armor, and it still took that long. Meanwhile you can take a rogue into PoH on P99 and have full planar gear halfway through a raid. The rogue weapons are even more insanely common, which blows my mind.

I didn't even know there was a possibility for those weapons to drop 20+ years ago despite regularly killing the same mobs that drop them non-stop on P99. Experienced something similar with Cleric PoH gear. Remember my girlfriend spending years to complete her set, now you just run in and get full planar gear almost instantly and it's just like.... yeah there's no way this is classic.

Runed Mithril Bracer was another good example (as was Mithril breastplate to a lesser extent). RMB sold for as much as Golden Efreeti boots on my server. Wasn't because Kobold Royals wasn't camped, and we lacked game knowledge. Was because you could spend 3 months camping Royals and never see an RMB. Meanwhile when Green launched I had like 8 RMBs in my bag anytime I did Royals, and I just regularly vendored the Mithril breastplate so I could loot another one (same item sold for 1500-2000p on my server due to its rarity). This is a camp I lived in as a teenager, I'm talking all day everyday, fighting other groups for mobs because the farm was that locked down.

Game knowledge for sure wasn't what it is now, but I know some camps like Royals were pretty much locked down around the clock and some items were still super rare. Actually remember spending a ton of time camping the ghoul arch magus in Lower Guk. I'm talking hundreds of hours. I had no clue that he was the same guy who dropped the SMR UNTIL I came to P99 and saw him drop it all of the time. I thought he just dropped crappy leggings, and that the real money maker for that camp was the adamantite bands / serp bracers, because you could spend weeks there and never once see an SMR and you would even wonder where that item must drop since it was super renowned and coveted back then (so was Oracle robe).
Last edited by WokeCat; 01-15-2023 at 04:26 AM..
Old 01-15-2023, 05:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeCat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It just blows my mind how on P99 you can't walk outside of Unrest without seeing Bilge, and Reed Belts were dirt cheap even early on on P99 Green.
Makes me wonder if Green and Blue have some differences in their spawns, or if something got borked on P99 more generally. I've been here 13+ years (albeit, I only dabbled on Green) and I've never seen Bilge even once. Likewise anyplace I camp, items don't fall out of the sky the way you seem to describe.

I did see multiple copies of a single NPC up in west wastes, an ongoing issue that might be somehow related, so I bumped that post as well, but across the game--on Blue--more generally I do not observe what you seem to. Maybe one of the community members who plays both servers heavily could chime in.

Danth
Old 01-15-2023, 07:41 AM
Sarnak

Reed Belts were "common" on green because Artelius figured out how to spawn Bilge and farmed a ton of them with his ranger. He used that plat to buy the first puppet strings that hit the market shortly before they got nerfed, RIP.
P99: [52 Champion] Alysane (Barbarian) <Auld Lang Syne>
SZ : [65 Lord Protector] Cochise (Erudite) <Sanctus Lumen>