Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 11-25-2023, 04:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Taunt is dumb to spam and only time a knight needs is for after another tank dies to get +1. Any other conversation is dumb too.
You have nothing to back up this claim. Just saying something is "dumb" isn't an argument.

There is no reason to rely on the unreliable. Whether you spam taunt or save it, you are just playing a random numbers game as to if it works. Taunt isn't a long cooldown, high success skill. If it was I would agree with you. Taunt is a fast cooldown low success skill.

The reason why Knights are better at generating agro is because they have a reliable way to do it. They aren't playing the random numbers game of taunt and weapon procs. Knights use taunt because they have it, so you might as well use it. They aren't relying on it.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 11-25-2023 at 04:36 PM..
Old 11-25-2023, 05:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You have nothing to back up this claim. Just saying something is "dumb" isn't an argument.

There is no reason to rely on the unreliable. Whether you spam taunt or save it, you are just playing a random numbers game as to if it works. Taunt isn't a long cooldown, high success skill. If it was I would agree with you. Taunt is a fast cooldown low success skill.

The reason why Knights are better at generating agro is because they have a reliable way to do it. They aren't playing the random numbers game of taunt and weapon procs. Knights use taunt because they have it, so you might as well use it. They aren't relying on it.
I take it back, DSM is worse than the weapon swap PvP guy.
Old 11-25-2023, 05:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I take it back, DSM is worse than the weapon swap PvP guy.
You are doing the same thing as the weapon swap guy. Making up claims with nothing to back it up lol. Look in the mirror first[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] You have nothing to suggest that using taunt on cooldown is significantly worse.
Old 11-25-2023, 06:29 PM
Planar Protector

Are you really arguing +1 hate every 6 seconds is better than waiting for the exact instant it could be noticeably helpful?

IMHO, I’d pick better hills to die on.
Old 11-25-2023, 07:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you really arguing +1 hate every 6 seconds is better than waiting for the exact instant it could be noticeably helpful?

IMHO, I’d pick better hills to die on.
1. +1 hate every 6 seconds is better than +0 hate every 6 seconds. Something is better than nothing. You also have a chance of taunt working at the instant it is needed. If you never press the taunt button because you are too afraid of using it, this will never happen.

2. Taunt is unreliable. You should never assume it will work. Focus on using snap agro, which is reliable. If you can't build up an agro buffer on an SK, that is your problem. It isn't your skill at pressing taunt.

3. Taunt has a 6 second cooldown, so you can always switch your tactics as needed. Spam taunt whenever you want, and switch to using it strategically if the Rogue is taking agro all the time. If that is happening, however, you need to fix the problem of the Rogue always taking agro. The solution is not to rely on taunt to do the work.

4. I am not dying on any hills. It is simply trivial to rebut the argument that spamming taunt has no benefits. I've tanked for years on my SK, and I can't remember any scenario where I had a problem due to taunt being on cooldown when I lost agro. An experienced SK will use snap agro spells and positioning to keep agro. The issue is you are putting way too much emphasis on the idea that a well timed taunt is a reliable method of agro generation. It simply is not. That is why your argument falls apart. If taunt was reliable, we wouldn't be having endless discussions about Warrior agro issues.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 11-25-2023 at 07:58 PM..
Old 11-25-2023, 10:53 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Taunt only does anything if someone else has aggro. Don't put it in a macro, you'll waste it 97% of the time. You use taunt when you need aggro and don't already have it, not to build an aggro buffer. Bad tanks blow their taunt for no reason. Good tanks save it for when they need to take aggro from someone else. If your taunt is on cooldown when you lose aggro, you played badly.
I mained a warrior to 60 so I’m pretty familiar with how taunt works. As a knight I mostly use my spells for aggro purposes. If I’m casting my aggro spell via the macro I’m trying to get aggro back, which taunt could help with gaining immediately without having to wait for the spell to land. Then when the spell lands it should theoretically push me further up the aggro list.

Now if I already have aggro and I’m just sinking more in then yeah it doesn’t do much so usually just click my binding for the raw spell or accept that I wasted a click of taunt (which I’m not so concerned with as I’ll just cast a spell via my macro to get aggro back).
Old 11-26-2023, 12:48 AM
Fire Giant

DSM has "tanked for years", yet somehow can't figure out why spamming taunt when it's already maxed out is a bad idea?

DSM, just stop giving advice already. You're embarrassing us all, and misleading newbies who might come into the game.
Old 11-26-2023, 03:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DSM has "tanked for years", yet somehow can't figure out why spamming taunt when it's already maxed out is a bad idea?

DSM, just stop giving advice already. You're embarrassing us all, and misleading newbies who might come into the game.
Insulting people isn't an argument. You already have well over 400 posts that are just trolling, insults, and nonsense. That is over 80% of you post history. Will you ever post something useful on these forums?

You haven't explained your position at all. Please enlighten us as to why spammimg a skill with a 6 second cooldown and a low success rate is a bad idea. With a cooldown of only 6 seconds you can switch your taunt strategy whenever you want if you are losing agro a lot. You gain nothing from simply ignoring your taunt button and never pressing it.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 11-26-2023 at 04:16 AM..
Old 11-26-2023, 04:23 AM
Kobold

You are an armature that I won't give the time of day to. Learn to play better. Bad bad bad tank thinking taunt only has 1 use application. Gooodbye
Old 11-26-2023, 10:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Insulting people isn't an argument. You already have well over 400 posts that are just trolling, insults, and nonsense. That is over 80% of you post history. Will you ever post something useful on these forums?

You haven't explained your position at all. Please enlighten us as to why spammimg a skill with a 6 second cooldown and a low success rate is a bad idea. With a cooldown of only 6 seconds you can switch your taunt strategy whenever you want if you are losing agro a lot. You gain nothing from simply ignoring your taunt button and never pressing it.
If you’re “switching your taunt strategy”, you’ve already failed. You have no idea when you’ll need to switch, so just don’t do it. You can’t have it both ways. Spamming taunt has a much lower chance of being available when you actually need it. Getting +1 aggro every 6 seconds is effectively nothing as nobody is maintaining held aggro because of taunt spam. You should be conserving your APM to focus on things that actually matter.

I’ll add this to my list of bizarre theories this guy has put out.