Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:39 PM
Skeleton

Do you have plans to enable the download button for them?
Old 05-23-2015, 07:42 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you have plans to enable the download button for them?
Not sure. I'd love for people to download them, but I'm unclear of the legal ramifications of doing so. I don't want to do anything that will endanger the project before it's even completed. Not sure if it's considered illegal distribution of copyrighted material or not. Anyone care to chime in on this?

Looking for developers to work with regarding implementation of the new renditions of the Everquest music to be used in game. Send me a private message if you're interested.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:47 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimluck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure. I'd love for people to download them, but I'm unclear of the legal ramifications of doing so. I don't want to do anything that will endanger the project before it's even completed. Not sure if it's considered illegal distribution of copyrighted material or not. Anyone care to chime in on this?
That's a valid point, I suppose. I was just thinking along the lines of all of the remixes and stuff out there on YouTube and other sites, that this might fall under some kind of fair use, fan derivatives. Are you actually modifying the original files or are you remaking them? That would probably be the key distinction.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:55 PM
Aviak

Depends on how you define "modify". I open the MIDI files in my program, assign virtual instruments, and mix the individual instruments so everything is cohesive and natural sounding. I add some effects, as well as master the songs. Sometimes it takes quite a bit of work. So, I guess that would fall under modifying the files. However, i think it is important to note that I do not, have not, and will not take credit for anything other than "rearranging", which means I take the steps listed above to make them sound good with my virtual instruments; just like Jay initially tweaked his parameters to sound good in the MIDI environment he was using. If Jay Barbeau were interested in doing the same, he would no doubt go through the same process as I am. I think it would fall under being fair use "remixes".

Looking for developers to work with regarding implementation of the new renditions of the Everquest music to be used in game. Send me a private message if you're interested.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:59 PM
Skeleton

You could always post your link on the Daybreak forums and ask the question to get an official response. Honestly though, I'm not sure if there's much of a difference between making them available to play and/or download. They'd probably be viewed the same.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:36 PM
Sarnak

The link in the original post doesn't work anymore, error message is: "Sorry! We can't find that user."
Old 05-27-2015, 01:40 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voland [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The link in the original post doesn't work anymore, error message is: "Sorry! We can't find that user."
This is because he cannot edit the post. You'll have to use the link on his signature.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:41 PM
Banned

What's with this not-being-able-to-edit-posts bullshit!??!?1
Old 05-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Aviak

Shit's classic son

Old 05-28-2015, 02:33 AM
Kobold

I think this would sound pretty awesome too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvcdrlWl-fQ

The song that played when you ran along the coast in the Karanas, and on the coast in Toxx forest
Closed Thread