Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 10:23 AM
Kobold

Default Which class did you think you would hate but actually enjoy playing? Vice versa?

Back in the day on live I played almost exclusively as pure casters with ability to solo. I main'd a wizard on live, but found that experience to be quite different here on p99 (and ultimately gave up on that toon). I tried my hand at necro for a time as well as mage, too. Having recently returned to p99, I decided to try something completely different--I am playing a rogue and quite enjoying it. Being pretty much forced to find a group is a very different experience to what I was used to when I last played on p99. Do other peeps have this experience, i.e. playing a class you never thought you'd enjoy and ultimately not? Was there a class that turned out to be much more fun than you thought?
Old 05-03-2017, 10:24 AM
Planar Protector

I played a main-tanking warrior main for eons on live.

I thought I would hate bard, shaman, monk and necromancer ... yet here I am doing so on p99 and loving it ...
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 05-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Planar Protector

I honestly can't relate to this question because I have always enjoyed all the classes which is why I tend to make so many alts and characters!

I have found however, that some classes are not as fun for me to play as i wish they could be, like bard and monk.

I don't enjoy pulling on monks/splitting mobs etc., and I don't like having to constantly twist songs with the bard to maximize their efficiency it just grows tedious and sucks imo. No one appreciates all the work a bard does.

When I was younger I recall not minding the bard so I guess I have grown less tolerant of the gameplay of some classes now.

My favorite classes are healers (in all games) and I have found warrior to be very challenging and fun in groups and solo.

I guess 100% dps classes tend to bore me the most now that I think on it. I have found things I like about them individually, but fizzle out faster so far, like my mage is only 35 lvl, and my rogue is 29. I went furthest on shaman and druid and I am still leveling my warrior which is over 40 now.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

Enchanter all day. Always thought they were just boring and lame on live, needed a full group to do anything meaningful. I came here and that all changed. 16-60 was a blast, I never had so much grinding out the levels. I've been trying to play a bard, but it's been rough still for the first 30 levels. Hoping that changes eventually.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Banned

I remember going through the alt mill back in 1999/2000 trying to find what I like. I think I originally made a Wizard because in Ultima Online the casters were always more powerful…then I made a cleric, then I made shaman, then necromancer, then warrior, then ranger, then paladin, then bard, then druid…but I would always fizzle out on these characters somewhere between level 10 and 30….then I finally found monk and made it to level 50+ during Kunark and have loved monk above all else since then.

However! On P99 after getting my monk to 60 I was sorely disappointed in my utility and farming ability. About the best I can do to help new players is train SGs to Oasis docks and FD so the crocs group gets the kill. So then I made a Bard (level 52) so I could PL people, but I have never actually PL’d anyone because I don’t know how to exactly – snares for agro and damages shields while someone AoE’s I think – but whatever….Necromancer has always fascinated me and I am really loving my necro (58 now) and I think it’s my favorite so far, but just last night I made a druid and I can see that being one of my favorites due to being able to port around to newb zones and DS/Buff/SoW…Friendly druids in Rivervale kept DSing me last night and I made it to level 6 in seriously like an hour. Porting has always had a weird intrigue for me as well. I think the only reason I stoped my druid on live was because I enjoy grouping so much and druids are not exactly min/max.

I am actually surprised at how well the necromancer does in groups 50+...they have an aura of "solo artist" about them but are just fantastic in small groups.
Last edited by Spyder73; 05-03-2017 at 12:42 PM..
Old 05-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember going through the alt mill back in 1999/2000 trying to find what I like. I think I originally made a Wizard because in Ultima Online the casters were always more powerful…then I made a cleric, then I made shaman, then necromancer, then warrior, then ranger, then paladin, then bard, then druid…but I would always fizzle out on these characters somewhere between level 10 and 30….then I finally found monk and made it to level 50+ during Kunark and have loved monk above all else since then.

However! On P99 after getting my monk to 60 I was sorely disappointed in my utility and farming ability. About the best I can do to help new players is train SGs to Oasis docks and FD so the crocs group gets the kill. So then I made a Bard (level 52) so I could PL people, but I have never actually PL’d anyone because I don’t know how to exactly – snares for agro and damages shields while someone AoE’s I think – but whatever….Necromancer has always fascinated me and I am really loving my necro (58 now) and I think it’s my favorite so far, but just last night I made a druid and I can see that being one of my favorites due to being able to port around to newb zones and DS/Buff/SoW…Friendly druids in Rivervale kept DSing me last night and I made it to level 6 in seriously like an hour. Porting has always had a weird intrigue for me as well. I think the only reason I stoped my druid on live was because I enjoy grouping so much and druids are not exactly min/max.

I am actually surprised at how well the necromancer does in groups 50+...they have an aura of "solo artist" about them but are just fantastic in small groups.
I enjoy the druid a lot. It gives you a lot of freedom to port yourself or help others with ports. You also can buff lowbies and that's fun to do too.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Kobold

I played a shaman on live. Wear many hats... heals, buffs, slows, etc.

When I started on P99 I made an SK because it's "screw everyone but me" with this class. I like having fewer responsibilities instead of being pulled in every direction, like someone assuming you are going to heal, or getting blamed for every death just because you have heal spells in your spellbook.

I feel for the shaman(s?) I have grouped with getting nagged for buffs, slows and still expected to heal a group. Nowadays hit me up if you need Cold or Disease resists or your corpse located or summoned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] My only beneficial services other than tanking or binding your wounds up to 50%.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:59 PM
Planar Protector

I kept trying to roll a monk but always quit by level five. When I finally tried again, I went Iksar with a name I liked and got sucked into some FoB pit groups that got me past 5. I am now the proud owner of a scaly killing machine that moonlights as an assassin for when faction is an issue.

Vice versa, I mained a cleric on live and I hate it so much now.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 05-03-2017, 09:01 PM
Fire Giant

Always thought id hate enchanter but turns out every enchanter I've ever grouped with is just extremely lazy and its crazy how much an enchanter can help a group or do on its own.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:56 AM
Planar Protector

Rogue. Tried a pal's halfling rogue on a raid and hated it. Stabbing stuff only being able to see their legs etc...

Then made my own (half elf) a year later maybe and hooly shit, so much better from a non short race perspective.

Still my favorite class <3
Closed Thread