Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 03-09-2023, 02:55 PM
Sarnak

If I was actually going to go this top-end, I would probably go CHA and just ask for DI before pulling things or doing AOE fights. Its super silly levels of optimization, but having an extra 7% chance to proc DI is probably more valuable than stats which only do something when you don't have buffs.

Probably have to bribe your clerics to carry emeralds and cast it on you though, or work out the bagspace to carry emeralds for people. Most clerics I've seen aren't carrying emeralds by default. This reminds me to start asking for DI on AOE heavy fights though on Jayya, I'm carrying emeralds anyway to get Shamans to Avatar me. She's got starting points in CHA for RPing reasons, might as well wring that tiny bit of extra benefit out of them.
Old 12-07-2023, 02:59 AM
Large Bat

So for sake of argument, say someone were going to make a new Monk, Iksar, and they were going to mostly solo, maybe help some people out now and again... all pts into STA? (Edit: Or even if it were Human?)
Old 12-07-2023, 10:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coriander [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So for sake of argument, say someone were going to make a new Monk, Iksar, and they were going to mostly solo, maybe help some people out now and again... all pts into STA? (Edit: Or even if it were Human?)
Generally these starting stat threads are contentious over 20 starting points and end up like 30+ pages long these days. No fault to you, these boards are just…a lot.

Unbuffed Str you won’t be at cap outside extremely good gear, or bad gear that pumps Str at a detriment to stuff like hps and AC. That’s less attack and less dps. 20 less stamina is less hps but only about 80 at level 60, at that level your mend will give you back 20 more health (25% of 80) than if you didn’t have the stamina.

I’m in the minority here thinking most players won’t check all the boxes for difficult to acquire gear, whether purchased, farmed or raided. I also personally think any time you can do more dps is a good thing outside maybe a knight who literally is just an aggro shield. More hps is always nice, more strength means you can wear stuff without it (resist stuff) and still cap with a strength buff.

In the end it’s only 20 points. Picking easy blues, using good weapons, ideally having a fungi are the solo keys. Outside trying to bum buffs when possible.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coriander [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
STA is the safest choice if you are concerned about starting stats. By concerned I mean if you are the type of player who worries you may have wasted them later on in your character's life. I did 5 STR 15 STA on my Monk, but that was just because I made him like 8 years ago and wasn't planning on leveling him lol. The character was just a name holder. But I decided to continue leveling him in the end instead of deleting and remaking for 5 points.

You can take a look at my Magelo. Even with decent twink gear and an epic, none of my combat stats are above 150 unbuffed. I kill things just fine. The DPS loss from not putting 20 points into STR is minimal, as is the HP gain from 20 STA.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:00 PM
Planar Protector

Putting starting points into STR or DEX is dumb when you're talking about end game. Focus + Avatar + Boon will max these out easily.

You know what will be harder to max? STA.

Melee characters need to put points into STA.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 12-07-2023, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
If you never plan on raiding and are on a budget / casual mindset, STR.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Putting starting points into STR or DEX is dumb when you're talking about end game. Focus + Avatar + Boon will max these out easily.

You know what will be harder to max? STA.

Melee characters need to put points into STA.
He’s not mentioning end game, BiS and primals. Mostly soloing and helping people out.
Old 12-07-2023, 07:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He’s not mentioning end game, BiS and primals. Mostly soloing and helping people out.
STA is still a great choice for a casual player. P99 is a long game, and people can change their minds about what they want to do in a year or two. I never planned on raiding either when I made my SK and Shaman, but I eventually tried it out and liked it.

You won't have a problem regardless of what you choose. As I said earlier, if OP is the type of player who has regrets about something they can never change, STA is the safest choice. You won't notice a significant difference from having 20 less STR.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:24 PM
Fire Giant

Mend / Bind Wound both scale off HP, so STA is still very good for soloing. HP is like really good on monks in particular.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:31 PM
Planar Protector

It’s 20 attack or 80 hps (20 extra each mend). None of this will affect your game significantly.

My only point is whatever you do, max your attack.