Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 02-15-2023, 03:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hosh boots don't really fit budget ranger, cos while they may be cheap for dkp(?) they do involve acquiring a VP key, which isn't exactly cheap in terms of time to farm or pp for mq. Trak's teeth sometimes get a bit pricey for dkp depending on how meme vp keying is at the time.
sorry you dont got PS hope this helps
Old 02-15-2023, 03:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol yeah, I was essentially sorting weapons by damage/delay on the Wiki.

It can be deceiving because many of the top listed weapons are BiS type of stuff that drops from PoG, etc.

But yeah, I was always confused about the popularity of the high end Velium weapons, because to me, they just looked mediocre. No stats, damage/delay seemed unimpressive, etc.

I knew there were damage bonuses at 55 in some aspect, but didn't know about the main hand bonuses. I guess that's why they recommend 60 Monks to use nothing in their mainhand. That makes sense now.

And the fact that it's a flat damage bonus, faster weapons benefit more from the bonus.

Do they have these bonuses listed on the wiki? I used to look up the weapon damage cap levels on the wiki, I imagine they're in the same place.

This is the closest we have and seems to be correct. At least the ones ive tested using archery (hit dmg - crit damage = damage bonus) on my ranger.

https://lucy.allakhazam.com/dmgbonus.html?setcookie=1

In most cases the go-to ranger weapons are well known and priced accordingly. Ratio AND speed is a great combo. A few edge cases of speed over ratio, or ratio over speed exist but they are rare.

The exceptions to the rule that come to mind are:
Rev whip: It's ok but not great due to the ratio
Wurmslayer: Ok for a bit due to ratio but damage bonus catches up at the end
Blam Stick: A bit under a SBoZ but the ratio is much better than a Wurmslayer.
BFG: Just a weird one. Lots of compounding mechanics at play....crits, double damage on non-rooted targets, 8 dmg arrows available to use, disc etc. On its face its a 25/50...but it totally isnt.

Really though, easy and fun epic at 50. Fashionable 1h that does ok damage. Enjoy the grind! Whether you are doing 40dps on raid mobs or 60dps the fun and utility of a ranger is always high. Easily my favorite class even with the huge chip on the shoulder.

The 2000p Swarmcaller for a 50% slow is great. Only a few melees even have quality slow proc as an option and rangers have two of them.
Last edited by Snaggles; 02-15-2023 at 03:44 PM..
Old 02-16-2023, 11:17 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The 2000p Swarmcaller for a 50% slow is great. Only a few melees even have quality slow proc as an option and rangers have two of them.
2k Swarmcaller? As opposed to the regular Swarmcaller? What is that?
Old 02-16-2023, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is the closest we have and seems to be correct. At least the ones ive tested using archery (hit dmg - crit damage = damage bonus) on my ranger.

https://lucy.allakhazam.com/dmgbonus.html?setcookie=1
Interesting. This makes it seem like slower delay weapons get more than 11 damage bonus at 60.

Am I reading that correctly?

The way I understand it is, at 60, a quick Jade Mace will outperform a slow Wurmslayer, even though the ratio is worse. Right? Because it should be a flat 11 damage for all weapons across the board.
Old 02-16-2023, 12:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Interesting. This makes it seem like slower delay weapons get more than 11 damage bonus at 60.

Am I reading that correctly?

The way I understand it is, at 60, a quick Jade Mace will outperform a slow Wurmslayer, even though the ratio is worse. Right? Because it should be a flat 11 damage for all weapons across the board.
All 1h get 11 bonus dmg in main hand , 2h has its own based on delay
Old 02-16-2023, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All 1h get 11 bonus dmg in main hand
But 11 bonus damage max, right?
Old 02-16-2023, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
But 11 bonus damage max, right?
for 1 handers at level 60 yes
Old 02-16-2023, 01:32 PM
Planar Protector

That Lucy link has 1h dmg bonus too. It caps at 11 regardless of delay.
I recall the Jade maths out better (2x damage + dmg bonus) / Delay) in the high 50’s. At one point I carried a Wurm on the ranger for tanking and damage shields but it was a very short window.
Last edited by Snaggles; 02-16-2023 at 01:34 PM..
Old 02-16-2023, 05:34 PM
Fire Giant

The ability to proc slows without saddling yourself with a terrible statless 29/41 weapon is pretty nice, but only relevant when you actually want to slow the mob. Playstyle determines how often one cares about this. For some people, it's never. For others, it's everyday routine.

Swiftwind, while not strictly BIS, is a "good enough" off-hand forever. It's your haste item and it's 30 ATK as well, which is quite nice. You never really have to get another off-hand or haste item, so you can spend your DKP on other shit. You can basically think of Swiftwind as also having whatever stats you got out of some other upgrade you were able to get because you didn't need to spend DKP on an off-hand or haste item.

Swiftwind is also straight BIS for archery, so when Luclin launches in 2036, it's the best off-hand for that expansion. When that day comes (and it surely will!) everyone's gonna roll a ranger and those epic MQ pieces will cost a fortune, so get it ahead of time.
Last edited by greatdane; 02-16-2023 at 05:38 PM..
Old 02-16-2023, 06:36 PM
Planar Protector

Doubt swiftwind is better than earth shaker for archery.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung