Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 01:01 AM
Planar Protector

Default Review of Kunark/EQ in 2000

Here it's:
http://www.thecomputershow.com/compu...uestkunark.htm

You think he just had a bad time or do you think he was kind of right?

Here're my thoughts:

1) Jboots were not essential for survival. If you had someone in your group that could cast sow then that was fine. If they could snare, it acheived the same effect. If they could root or mez, same. Not really a necessity unless you solo.

2) He complains that mobs shouldn't increase in stats as you level, thus making them more difficult. Why? Isn't that how it has always been? If you don't gear up your character properly, you shouldn't do well. If you still have on cloth armour from level 5, and you're level 30, you SHOULD get your butt handed to you. If anything, he leveled up too fast and wasn't properly geared.

3) He complains about monsters roaming in open zones and that this creates an uncessary hazard for the group. Why? This was an essential danger element. PLayers had to watch eachothers back to see what was there and warn the rest of the group when a mob was coming. He's right that warping could be a serious problem, but warping doesn't happen as much as he says it does (i don't remember mobs warping that much, i was on dialup). Maybe he had a bad connection. These days I have dsl.

4) He complains about losing lots of time because casters can't reach him easily when he dies. I actually agree with him here. I wish the bind/gate/teleport system had been expanded on rather than shelved. Players wanted more flexibility in the system, but verant/soe stubbornly stuck with the original model and then when the time came that it HAD to change, they simply added luclin spires/pok books/guild hall portals/aa origin rather than being gutsy and letting players govern travel on their own (with a revamped binding system).

5) He compared daiblo II to everquest. Ack! I've loved playing diablo II just like him. But the games are different! Saying dialbo II is an rpg and has good character development is so ludicrously insane. Have to see it to believe it! OMG. Diablo II is an action game. It has no persistance like everquest. No factions. Few quests. Lacks detail. It's too simple. What a joke! On the other hand, I do agree that it's easy to lose sight of the lore and how this lore connects on a meaningful scale to the character. In this respect, I would agree with him. I wish they had found a better way to teach the player the lore and story without making it too camp heavy.

6) He says verant discourages camping. This is true. They make it painful and long. I'd have to agree with him. That's why I never camped. I just bought items from people that auctioned them in the zone. Overall, I side with him on this point. The whole problem with eq over all these years has been that, while camping IS discouraged, it tends to be the only way to get the best gear/progression. For those that can stomach the camping, they sell it to those who can't (like me). I wish that everquest 3 found a way to get rid of camping, but to keep the challenge and sense of immersion that was in eq classic (without instances). Camping is boring, very boring.

7) He shouldn't name everquest evercrack. All mmorpgs are like crack. He should name it evercamp. That's more appropriate.

8) This guy must be cramped or very serious constipation. Maybe he had an ulcer. He needs to take a break.

9) I think he played on pvp servers too much? Seems like it. He never stops complaining and doesn't say anything good.
Last edited by stormlord; 11-15-2009 at 01:35 AM..
Old 11-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Banned

tldr
Old 11-15-2009, 01:57 AM
Planar Protector

This guy is an old-school EQ addict. He's pissed because aspects of Verant's game design were getting in the way of his progression "fix".

Most of the complaints are about key limitations of the genre. Seriously. Yes, you have to play with strangers, guy.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:15 AM
Banned

I never play with strangers, they're... strange!
Old 11-15-2009, 03:01 AM
Fire Giant

B-but... Strangers have candy! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-15-2009, 03:06 AM
Planar Protector

So i guess most of you think he's constipated. :/
Old 11-15-2009, 03:41 AM
Fire Giant

I think one of the common themes of old school EQ is those who played caster-type classic generally have much fonder memories of how balanced and awesome EQ was than most of the melee/hybrid classes did.

And no wonder.

But I can't even entertain the notion that Kunark was anything *but* the golden age of EQ when everything was warm and fuzzy and there was enough meaningful high end content to go around to satiate the higher end player population.

Now some of you who stuck around through Veilous might have a bit to say of Veilous being the true Golden Age, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that sentiment either.

But seriously, anyone claiming Kunark is when EQ started sliding downhill has issues. And you could easily argue the author of that article wasn't primarily an EQ player to begin with. Sounds more like a disgruntles DAOC/UO guy with a 2-bit job using his platform to bash EQ.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think one of the common themes of old school EQ is those who played caster-type classic generally have much fonder memories of how balanced and awesome EQ was than most of the melee/hybrid classes did.

And no wonder.

But I can't even entertain the notion that Kunark was anything *but* the golden age of EQ when everything was warm and fuzzy and there was enough meaningful high end content to go around to satiate the higher end player population.

Now some of you who stuck around through Veilous might have a bit to say of Veilous being the true Golden Age, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that sentiment either.

But seriously, anyone claiming Kunark is when EQ started sliding downhill has issues. And you could easily argue the author of that article wasn't primarily an EQ player to begin with. Sounds more like a disgruntles DAOC/UO guy with a 2-bit job using his platform to bash EQ.
I kind of agree with your feelings on this. I played a ranger, but in many ways rangers are much more flexible than pure melees. We got track for direction and finding appropriately conned targets, we got our own line of snares/heals/ds's/movement buffs/dots/etc, we got sneak/hide, we got camo and superior camo for invising in tight spots, and so on. If I had played a pure melee, I think my memories of those days would have been darker.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Decaying Skeleton

They were different expansions so I'm sure they appealed to different people. Kunark added a lot for everyone, where as the bulk of Velious was all raid content...and everything was for high levels. So for some who never level'd to max and played alts all day or something I'm sure Kunark was the better expansion for them. I think they are both incredible, but Velious I have fonder memories of. I love winter time.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via MSN to Jify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
B-but... Strangers have candy! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I<3bubz
Closed Thread