Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-13-2013, 01:04 AM
Large Bat

Just do what you find easier to work with, I followed the instructions for the wine install and it works great, but I haven't tried bootcamp so I don't know which is better.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can anyone with Mac experience fill me in on whether its easier to do the Wineskin install method I currently have stickied, or if its easier to bootcamp it?

If it's easier to bootcamp, anyone feel like writing a guide?
I use Bootcamp exclusively. The only downside is that you're tying up a lot of HDD space for the OS etc., but if you have it to spare you're essentially running native Windows. Best way to go, IMO.

That said, I have no experience trying to get things running under Wine. Even though I'm pretty computer savvy I have no interest in making myself miserable trying to configure that stuff.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Fire Giant

I, too, have a Mac installation question- it's not the same as OP but since it's another Mac question I'm putting it in this thread.

My friend is trying to get on P99, he's a mac user. He followed all the instructions for the wine emulator thing and for the install I copied all of my EQ files for him- so they should be up to date, considering they're the files I'm playing with. When he tries to get on, one of two things happens- either it freezes up at the server select screen (as in, nothing happens when he clicks "select server," as if it isn't even there) or after like five minutes he gets a "files not up to date" message (which, again, shouldn't be the case, as I copied my directory for him.)

Any information on what's going on here? I see this "bootcamp" thing being mentioned in this thread a lot, what exactly is that/would it help him?

Every song I play is actually just me screaming the 1812 Overture in a raspy, shrieking falsetto.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:49 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can anyone with Mac experience fill me in on whether its easier to do the Wineskin install method I currently have stickied, or if its easier to bootcamp it?

If it's easier to bootcamp, anyone feel like writing a guide?
The Wine Installation works fine. It's important that people read and follow the instructions VERY carefully, as one mistake will result in having to start over from the beginning.

A Wine Installation has the following pros/cons:
Less HD drive required (do not require installation of Windows and VM software to play within Mac OS). This is particularly crucial with current SSD models where HD capacity can be limited.

Allows you to play natively within Mac OS without having to reboot into Windows.

Has a rather technical installation process which might fry your brain if you don't like that sort of thing.

Can be backed up and restored easily from Time Machine in case of HD Failure.

For an experienced Wine user, the setup will take less than an hour to complete. More for the green Wine user, but you will learn valuable skills that you can use for future Wine application installations.
A Bootcamp Installation has the following pros/cons
Requires you to have the correct Full Licensed copy of Windows as per your version of Mac OS (XP/Vista can only be installed on Snow Leopard, Lion - Mavericks requires Windows 7 or newer)

To play within Mac OS you must also own a licensed copy of VMWare, Parallels, or any other Virtualization software supported by Mac OS.

Bootcamp will take up a noteworthy chunk of your Hard Drive as required by Windows. 30GB is the bare minimum. Recommended size is between 60GB and 80GB to allow for additional programs. You cannot change this partition size to be larger later without completely removing the bootcamp partition and re-installing it, so choose wisely.

In the event of HD Failure, a Time Machine backup will not preserve your installation of Windows or any of the installed programs on it. You will have to install everything all over again.
Bootcamp FAQ Link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5639

Bootcamp Setup & Installation Guide: http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUAL...setup_10.8.pdf

Blue: (Inactive)
Pinoit Pumpie, Elleyne
<Bregan D'Aerth>

TAKProject: (Inactive)
Marshmallow Staypuffed, Pinoit, Pinot, Piia, Dahria, Freyja, Inaera, Naga, Bhut, Mata

Green: (Inactive)
Echofreya
<Black Lotus>

Formerly:
Babayaaga Danaeis, Ellyn Danaeis
~Xegony
Old 01-26-2014, 11:53 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekephee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I, too, have a Mac installation question- it's not the same as OP but since it's another Mac question I'm putting it in this thread.

My friend is trying to get on P99, he's a mac user. He followed all the instructions for the wine emulator thing and for the install I copied all of my EQ files for him- so they should be up to date, considering they're the files I'm playing with. When he tries to get on, one of two things happens- either it freezes up at the server select screen (as in, nothing happens when he clicks "select server," as if it isn't even there) or after like five minutes he gets a "files not up to date" message (which, again, shouldn't be the case, as I copied my directory for him.)

Any information on what's going on here? I see this "bootcamp" thing being mentioned in this thread a lot, what exactly is that/would it help him?
It sounds like he doesn't have the most recent patched files. It's also important to note that in the case of folders, DO NOT just copy/paste the folder as you will replace the contents entirely rather than just deposit the changed/added contents of the folder. This will definitely make a mess of things and is probably the most common problem with wine installations and patch updates.

Blue: (Inactive)
Pinoit Pumpie, Elleyne
<Bregan D'Aerth>

TAKProject: (Inactive)
Marshmallow Staypuffed, Pinoit, Pinot, Piia, Dahria, Freyja, Inaera, Naga, Bhut, Mata

Green: (Inactive)
Echofreya
<Black Lotus>

Formerly:
Babayaaga Danaeis, Ellyn Danaeis
~Xegony