Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quick question, any of you getting 5.9 cost of living raises this year? didnt think so! (how'd that cost of living raise last year go? Shoot, they forgot you?)
My work does what’s called a market analysis where they look at the rates for all positions other agencies/companies are paying (not sure how the get this data) and then adjust to match, but only if that adjustment is positive. Meaning they will do a raise if they are below the market average but not dock anyone’s pay if they are above the market average. Last market analysis for me was a few months ago where I got a 6% raise

It’s barely enough to cover the increased food cost. I eat a LOT, probably 4000+ calories a day with how hard I work out, so food increases are killing me. Living alone and with a new truck payment I am pretty hand to mouth every month. I have a health savings account through work for if something happens to me medically, but if anything else non-medical goes wrong, I’m in a bad spot. But all I would really have to do in order to dig myself out would be to get a roommate again, that would mean an extra 600-700/mo (could charge more but I wouldn’t)

Regardless, you know my perspective. I always consider working better than any alternative. SSID/disability pays shit, TANF pays shit, it’s difficult to live on, and even more difficult to have any sorts of hobbies or travel or do things, since usually these cost money

Also, working keeps me on a tight routine, which I like for my physical and mental health. Not saying all people who aren’t working aren’t healthy, tho
Old 10-14-2021, 04:46 PM
Planar Protector

Wow Ok, guess joe biden is crushing it never mind!

if you're getting 6% raises every year because that's what every other company is doing then we'll be fine.
Last edited by Jibartik; 10-14-2021 at 04:51 PM..
Old 10-14-2021, 05:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatordash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That was quick. Pretty sure you told me inflation is transitory like two weeks ago and CPI was only high because of used car prices or something like that.
Well the CPI was a lot higher because of the car market. But I never said there was no inflation at all. Just not as big as it looked. Which was correct. Everyone always admits there might be some inflation, and the spending can cause some inflation.

They explain why the "transitory" theory is more likely than "government spending."

I don't know how reasonable it is to disagree with. I mean yea -- food is up 3% overall (which includes a lot of 8%) which means it was a little higher than "normal" inflation. So if that's what your talking about -- something below that 1% -- then yes the spending may indeed have caused it. Even if it didn't that's just as situational as a lot of things would be if it did.

Who gets the money? How are they spending it? Did the people selling the goods decide to raise their price?

It all matters more than a raw number of total money spent.

But the transitory inflation is nothing to wave away. Gas prices matter obviously.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

im literally pissed off at the idea that unsung got a cost of living increase.

how much are you making unsung? What kind of job are you doing? Are you working in an industry that is struggling to find employees? Or are you a salary earning reulgar american that just got called into the front office and they were like, "times are tough but here's a 6% raise"

wtf im like pissed off about this

Im not getting no fucking 6% cost of living raise this year what the fuck
Old 10-14-2021, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisDictum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well the CPI was a lot higher because of the car market. But I never said there was no inflation at all. Just not as big as it looked. Which was correct. Everyone always admits there might be some inflation, and the spending can cause some inflation.

They explain why the "transitory" theory is more likely than "government spending."

I don't know how reasonable it is to disagree with. I mean yea -- food is up 3% overall (which includes a lot of 8%) which means it was a little higher than "normal" inflation. So if that's what your talking about -- something below that 1% -- then yes the spending may indeed have caused it. Even if it didn't that's just as situational as a lot of things would be if it did.

Who gets the money? How are they spending it? Did the people selling the goods decide to raise their price?

It all matters more than a raw number of total money spent.

But the transitory inflation is nothing to wave away. Gas prices matter obviously.
Lol so you think you are correct in that your opinion on inflation is that it is not as high as your expectations of inflation. Very informative and I'm glad you are correct about your own expectations.

However, if your example to justify your opinion is that food prices are only up 3% this year, than I would say, what about home prices? That shit went up like 3% a week this year. And it definitely is directly affected by government spending because we are almost at 2.5 trillion in MBS. https://www.federalreserve.gov/relea...41.htm#h41tab1
Old 10-14-2021, 05:18 PM
Planar Protector

the only mfer around here to get a 6% cost of living raise is the guy who hates joe biden go figure
Old 10-14-2021, 05:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the only mfer around here to get a 6% cost of living raise is the guy who hates joe biden go figure
Usually the best way to get a raise is to look for your same position at another company. Or you can gamble it and go out on your own as an independent contractor or start your own small business like I did, but you will be very poor and just play everquest all day for like 2-3 years before you start making more money.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:29 PM
Planar Protector

Salary jobs offer approximate 3% increases every year and I thought no way people can expect to get 6% increases this year, let alone one to make up for the turbulance of last year..

But i stand corected, im the only asshole not getting inflation matching cost of living raises.

This means conservatives have nothing to complain about, inflation is a mute point and they can shaddap about it, because you're getting the wage increases no problem.

Great job bozo's HORZA WON this debate. Raise the debt ceiling, the democrats are right.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
im literally pissed off at the idea that unsung got a cost of living increase.

how much are you making unsung? What kind of job are you doing? Are you working in an industry that is struggling to find employees? Or are you a salary earning reulgar american that just got called into the front office and they were like, "times are tough but here's a 6% raise"

wtf im like pissed off about this

Im not getting no fucking 6% cost of living raise this year what the fuck
I don’t think I got a cost of living raise, market analysis adjustments have been going on the entire 14ish years I been here. My position just happened to be 6%, other positions were less I heard

I work in mental health, can’t reveal too much about the position because it’s not a common one and I don’t want to dox myself and have some angry Dem sending an email to my work saying “did you know you employ a Neo-nazi? Have you seen his political memes?”

I don’t make a lot, around 55k/yr. And yea, my work is struggling just like everywhere to find people
Last edited by unsunghero; 10-14-2021 at 05:35 PM..
Old 10-14-2021, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Raise the debt ceiling, the democrats are right.
They did and are considering 'abolishing' it by parliamentary procedure in allowing the limit to be raised via reconciliation bills going forward.

So there's one filibuster busted.
Closed Thread