Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 05:00 AM
Sarnak

Default Paladin vs SK

Are there any real differences in terms of mitigating damage and agrobility?
Just wondering
Old 11-03-2014, 05:04 AM
Fire Giant

Both classes hold threat well. Damage mitigation should be similar as well.

What I particularly like about the paladin class is the utility. Being a warrior/cleric hybrid is much more helpful to the group than being a warrior/necromancer hybrid.

I've been spending some time leveling my Paladin. She's just about to hit 40.

I can hold aggro without breaking mez or even doing any damage.
I only have 1 stun now but it's very helpful. Mob on the cleric or maybe interrupting the chanter's mez? I can stun the mob and if it doesn't get mezzed by the time the stun wears off it'll prob bee-line to me. Once it's in melee range I can use blind to keep it on me.

When tanking I'll position myself so I'm standing near the next mob I want to kill. At 20% I turn off attack, switch to the next mob and cast blind. Then I can safely break mez and have the mob focused on me. By the time the DPS switch over the mob is on me and not going anywhere.
Also, the heals are very very helpful. Paladins get stronger heals than rangers while leveling. It's not much, but at level 40 I'm almost always full mana and can help top people off with heals after combat.

If I were a SK with full mana there's not much I could really do to help the group out in between combat.
Last edited by username17; 11-03-2014 at 05:14 AM..
Old 11-03-2014, 05:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by username17 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Both classes hold threat well. Damage mitigation should be similar as well.

What I particularly like about the paladin class is that I can hold aggro without breaking mez or even doing any damage. And with stuns I can do it from range.
I'll position myself so I'm standing next to the next mob I want to kill. At 20% I switch to the next mob, cast blind, and start attacking. By the time the DPS switch over the mob is on me and not going anywhere.
Also, the heals are very very helpful. Paladins get stronger heals than rangers while leveling. It's not much, but at level 40 I'm almost always full mana and can help top people off with heals after combat.
If I were a SK with full mana there's not much I could really do to help the group out.
Paladins get Superior Heal at 57. That puts them on the level of a Druid in actual healing ability, minus the mana efficiency. Torpor and CH are still ideal, but a Paladin can actually make a life-saving secondary healer when things get hairy. Superior Heal can bring someone back from the brink of death into fighting condition again.

Being Knights, Paladins and Shadowknights have the exact same natural mitigation, and their ability to generate snap aggro is about the same, although done a bit differently. Paladins use stuns for their aggro, SK's use dots and snares. End result is that Paladins are more defensive in nature, more self sufficient with their heals and Lay Hands, and are better against casters because of their ability to interrupt potentially devastating spells, while Shadowknights have somewhat higher DPS thanks to dots and their weak pet and so can end battles faster, and can also Feign Death if necessary, but generally won't survive as long on their own and really have no buffs or heals to support others with.

If I had to choose between one or the other for tanking, I would go with a Pally because of their heals and Lay Hands, generally makes them more self sufficient and able to survive longer in bad circumstances. Stuns are also a GREAT form of snap-aggro too, it's not building like an SK's dots, although Snare is very effective as well. But really, if you're tanking any sort of named Raid target, you really need a Warrior doing the tanking because of their higher mitigation and their disciplines.

Also, Paladins have, hands down, no contest, THE coolest Epic in the game, and it's one of the few 2h weapons that allows them to use Bash without a shield (the SK Epic does this as well, but is nowhere near as cool, and doesn't have any Armor Class as opposed to Fiery Defender).
Last edited by Loadsamoney; 11-03-2014 at 05:23 AM..
Old 11-03-2014, 06:12 AM
Sarnak

Informative posts guys, thanks. Just started a pally/cleric duo with a friend maybe not the most efficient duo, but very nice for starting groups.

Seems both knights are equally liked for exp groups.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:16 AM
Planar Protector

I would go Paladin if you are into grouping. They just pretty much suck solo. If you want to group often but like to solo go SK. Their fear kiting is repetitive but pretty efficient. And if you go Troll or Iksar the re-gen is nice.

Neither class is known for a LOT of DPS but they both can hold agro well and both have some nice spells. Heck the Paladin 90% rez end game is a big plus. But I would bet a Paladin is the least played class on here. They will be wanted a lot more when Velious comes out. Good puller.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(the SK Epic does this as well, but is nowhere near as cool
That's OK we been Bashing just fine without it. /flex

But basically pally sits at zoneins, while SK is FDing and CoSing his way around the world adventuring. Is a matter of preference - ones a support role, the other isnt. People generally want SK to be more proactive with pulling and whatnot too, so the exceptations of what you can do out there are quite a bit higher.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:29 AM
Sarnak

Not too worried about soloability as this char wont be played without my cleric friend. CoS and FD are awesome tho :-)
Old 11-03-2014, 06:38 AM
Fire Giant

Cleric/Pally is a fine duo. But you're a little low on DPS. Pick up chanter and some DPS and you're set for some massive fun.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paladins get Superior Heal at 57. That puts them on the level of a Druid in actual healing ability, minus the mana efficiency. Torpor and CH are still ideal, but a Paladin can actually make a life-saving secondary healer when things get hairy. Superior Heal can bring someone back from the brink of death into fighting condition again.

Being Knights, Paladins and Shadowknights have the exact same natural mitigation, and their ability to generate snap aggro is about the same, although done a bit differently. Paladins use stuns for their aggro, SK's use dots and snares. End result is that Paladins are more defensive in nature, more self sufficient with their heals and Lay Hands, and are better against casters because of their ability to interrupt potentially devastating spells, while Shadowknights have somewhat higher DPS thanks to dots and their weak pet and so can end battles faster, and can also Feign Death if necessary, but generally won't survive as long on their own and really have no buffs or heals to support others with.

If I had to choose between one or the other for tanking, I would go with a Pally because of their heals and Lay Hands, generally makes them more self sufficient and able to survive longer in bad circumstances. Stuns are also a GREAT form of snap-aggro too, it's not building like an SK's dots, although Snare is very effective as well. But really, if you're tanking any sort of named Raid target, you really need a Warrior doing the tanking because of their higher mitigation and their disciplines.

Also, Paladins have, hands down, no contest, THE coolest Epic in the game, and it's one of the few 2h weapons that allows them to use Bash without a shield (the SK Epic does this as well, but is nowhere near as cool, and doesn't have any Armor Class as opposed to Fiery Defender).
Fear kite owns casters, FD out survives anything a paly can do, disease cloud best aggro spell for mana in the game, also bad circumstances should not happen with FD and life taps work very well in battle to keep you topped up. Not to mention, invis, pet, more dps, debuffs and can pick ogre for stun immunity or iksar/troll for regen. I like both classes and each have perks but dont sell SKs short.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Fire Giant

According to the wiki, Paladins can obtain the same Defense skill as Warriors, SK's however only go up to 240 (unless this information is false).

I was under the impression that on some level your AC is dictated by your Defense and Agility stats, assuming the same AC/AGI gear do warriors and paladins not have the same AC? Maybe leaning towards the Paladin due to the shield?
Closed Thread